AVI-SPL

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Zettel

Pros
  • Worked with some great people and technicians that made the job worth while for a long time(in 3 reviews)

• It can be accomplished if you kiss the right butts(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Benefits, Bad Pay, Bad Management, and they would rather hire people with little to no experience than promote from within(in 3 reviews)

• little room for advancement, compensation could be more dependable(in 3 reviews)

Highly Recognized Name in the Industry

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Wixom, MI

ProsGreat name recognition and a lot of respect from other companies such as vendors, other competitors, and clients. Also, AVI-SPL has a great education program - sort of like a private college with online courses. They want you to succeed by making sure you have all the necessary qualifications and certifications available. Great team work and support at my branch - I can't say enough about the people. Very pleasant working conditions with less stress than you would find at a comparable company/office. Local management at the branch level developed an atmosphere where you wanted to work, and...'happily' work long hours (I was salary).

ConsOn the local (branch) level, working at AVI-SPL is great. However, having to deal with 'corporate' (in Tampa and other HQ offices) is certainly a significant drawback. There are many restrictions handed down to the branches as well as a fair amount of 'red tape' in the form of reporting, basic day to day functions such as service procedures, etc. The corporate structure impedes the efficiency of the local branches. Finally, being at the local level it's difficult to be recognized for your accomplishments - unless you're in sales where your numbers are obviously monitored. Case in point - I went from being told I was on track to being "Employee of the Year" to being laid-off within a three month period. The corporate office instructed my branch they had to lay off six to eight people to balance the budget because sales were down for the first two quarters. So, due to seniority, I was let go. I was treated with respect and given a fair severance during the layoff process.
    C'est la vie...

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the local offices exercise a bit more authority in managing their branches.

AVI-SPL is a fast paced environment that is motivated for success with excellent personnel.

Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsThis is an ever changing audio visual company that seems to care about their workers. They treat us decent with company outings every 2 months or so. The people I work with seem to be the best in the industry for audio visual. Engineers, programmers, project managers and sales all work together to make us the number one AV company in the industry

ConsChallenges. With us being the largest location in our corporate structure the corporation doesn't realize exactly what we need to make this location work. All the other locations have one person in the warehouse doing receiving, shipping, and receiving in the system. Our location has 3 people in the warehouse. One for receiving, 2 for order picking and shipping. The receiving in the system is done by another person in the front office. Because of this corporate will only let us have one full time employee and myself and another worker are temps. I have been here almost two years with no chance of becoming full time any time soon. There is not much training here it is more of this is what we need done. Go get it done. Which is not a bad thing because it makes you think for your self and find out how to get the job done on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the Chicago location being the biggest and fastest pace location in the company, we need things the other offices don't. And right now that is man power. I would like to stay at this company for a very long time and help it grow even bigger than it is right now. But I can not afford to work as a temp for much longer. With the warehouse being the way it is here we need 3 full time people and a PM associate to fill in the gap between the project managers and the warehouse staff for order picking, RMA processing and the like. I understand that every other location can get it done with just one person but they are not doing even a third of the volume that our location is doing and would never be able to handle what is going on here.

Challenging

ProsI am not micro-managed yet

ConsLack of accountability across the company

Advice to Senior ManagementHold your workforce accountable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting industry to work in, terrible management group to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wixom, MI

ProsThis company attracts the best employees in their field, it is an exciting field to be working in but the company cannot keep this talent. Great people to work with, good hours.

ConsProcess and management heavy company. As hard as everyone tries they just can't seem to get it right and management will let you know. Poor communication throughout the company and local offices, high turnover, very poor office moral. Managing with the fear of losing your job is not healthy. Salaries are not competitive, terrible benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring people because of their achievements and successes and not because they are your old drinking buddies that need a job.

Great company to work for but upper management lacks integrity.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are good, great to be part of a large forward thinking organization.

ConsDay to day tasks were over complicated and made redundant by upper management that was a genius in his own mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire management that are mentally fit for their position and able to lead.

Work as much as you want...

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company has never missed a payroll check or failed to approve an expense report, and the insurance benefit is relatively good. Training opportunities are available for PM's, Engineers, and Technicians.

ConsThe company will allow you to take as much work on as an associate is willing... No extra compensation, comp time, etc...

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with operations at the associate level not just at the management level.

Would NOT recommend working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery little to recommend here

ConsLocal office has big management issues, which causes customers to leave. Sales and Installation teams are disconnected, causing major customer issues. Runs totally on reactive/panic solutions, then forget about the problem, does not support pro-active solutions. Favoritism a MAJOR issue. Lack of Communication also a big issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at who is running the office, not at the worker bees.

You are not a person, you are an asset...

Installation Technician II (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsYou can become a faceless corporate worker, training is provided, advancement is possible. Long hours = plenty of OT opportunity.

ConsYou will be used. You will not be considered a person. You will work with people who have been criminal records and who treat everyone disrespectfully. Many employees are exempt from rules that are supposed to govern everyone. Poor communication and planning in all phases of work. Salespeople undercut the budget consistently, taking their commission and hanging Integration out to dry.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like humans. Basic respect is needed - especially when employees voice concern about important issues at work. Don't employ and harbor criminals, and fire the ones you already have.

From customer oriented to profit oriented in five short years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThere are some good people working here. Many that have been here a long time and know how the company should conduct business. The benefits and salaries are fair to good.

ConsWhen the sole owner of the company sold to the corporation that now owns AVI-SPL, the attitude of upper management shifted from primarily taking care of our customers and employees and doing the right thing to "profit before anything". A recent "core values" email from the CEO stated that the number one core value is "generate revenue". That's sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur customers are leaving. You should be able to see this. Focus on the customer! The profits will follow. This company grew at an exceptional rate even through the recession because we knew how to treat our customers. Make them happy! They will pay you well.

Used to be great...... now not so much.......

Account Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgreat benefits... good compensation... poor leadership from a corporate standpoint

ConsPoor leadership from a corporate standpoint

Advice to Senior Managementcare more about your employees!!!!!!!!!

Worked for AVI-SPL? Contribute to the Community!