AVI-SPL Reviews

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014

2.5

John Zettel

Pros
  • Worked with some great people and technicians that made the job worth while for a long time (in 3 reviews)

• It can be accomplished if you kiss the right butts (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Benefits, Bad Pay, Bad Management, and they would rather hire people with little to no experience than promote from within (in 3 reviews)

• little room for advancement, compensation could be more dependable (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Worth checking out

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Industry leader and well recognized

Cons

HQ management needs to get plugged into the local offices

HQ management needs to get plugged into the local offices

Poorly run organization

I worked at AVI-SPL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff that run the day to day operations of the company GM's, Sales and support people are top notch.

Cons

Owned by Sliverlake VC that allows upper management to run the company even though they have little to no idea how to run the company. They do understand that you keep the employees that are producing and weed out the ones that aren't. Overall poorly managed and run.

Try and undo some of the horrible management errors you have done.

Highly Recognized Name in the Industry

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Wixom, MI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Wixom, MI

I worked at AVI-SPL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great name recognition and a lot of respect from other companies such as vendors, other competitors, and clients. Also, AVI-SPL has a great education program - sort of like a private college with online courses. They want you to succeed by making sure you have all the necessary qualifications and certifications available. Great team work and support at my branch - I can't say enough about the people. Very pleasant working conditions with less stress than you would find at a comparable company/office. Local management at the branch level developed an atmosphere where you wanted to work, and...'happily' work long hours (I was salary).

Cons

On the local (branch) level, working at AVI-SPL is great. However, having to deal with 'corporate' (in Tampa and other HQ offices) is certainly a significant drawback. There are many restrictions handed down to the branches as well as a fair amount of 'red tape' in the form of reporting, basic day to day functions such as service procedures, etc. The corporate structure impedes the efficiency of the local branches. Finally, being at the local level it's difficult to be recognized for your accomplishments - unless you're in sales where your numbers are obviously monitored. Case in point - I went from being told I was on track to being "Employee of the Year" to being laid-off within a three month period. The corporate office instructed my branch they had to lay off six to eight people to balance the budget because sales were down for the first two quarters. So, due to seniority, I was let go. I was treated with respect and given a fair severance during the layoff process.
    C'est la vie...

Let the local offices exercise a bit more authority in managing their branches.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AVI-SPL is a fast paced environment that is motivated for success with excellent personnel.

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at AVI-SPL as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

This is an ever changing audio visual company that seems to care about their workers. They treat us decent with company outings every 2 months or so. The people I work with seem to be the best in the industry for audio visual. Engineers, programmers, project managers and sales all work together to make us the number one AV company in the industry

Cons

Challenges. With us being the largest location in our corporate structure the corporation doesn't realize exactly what we need to make this location work. All the other locations have one person in the warehouse doing receiving, shipping, and receiving in the system. Our location has 3 people in the warehouse. One for receiving, 2 for order picking and shipping. The receiving in the system is done by another person in the front office. Because of this corporate will only let us have one full time employee and myself and another worker are temps. I have been here almost two years with no chance of becoming full time any time soon. There is not much training here it is more of this is what we need done. Go get it done. Which is not a bad thing because it makes you think for your self and find out how to get the job done on your own.

With the Chicago location being the biggest and fastest pace location in the company, we need things the other offices don't. And right now that is man power. I would like to stay at this company for a very long time and help it grow even bigger than it is right now. But I can not afford to work as a temp for much longer. With the warehouse being the way it is here we need 3 full time people and a PM associate to fill in the gap between the project managers and the warehouse staff for order picking, RMA processing and the like. I understand that every other location can get it done with just one person but they are not doing even a third of the volume that our location is doing and would never be able to handle what is going on here.

Once merger happened discrimination occurred

I worked at AVI-SPL

Pros

Loved customers and projects and co workers

Cons

Favoritism and discriminating. No future growth or recognition

Teat people as you would want to be treated

Exciting industry to work in, terrible management group to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wixom, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wixom, MI

I worked at AVI-SPL as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

This company attracts the best employees in their field, it is an exciting field to be working in but the company cannot keep this talent. Great people to work with, good hours.

Cons

Process and management heavy company. As hard as everyone tries they just can't seem to get it right and management will let you know. Poor communication throughout the company and local offices, high turnover, very poor office moral. Managing with the fear of losing your job is not healthy. Salaries are not competitive, terrible benefits.

Start hiring people because of their achievements and successes and not because they are your old drinking buddies that need a job.

Challenging

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time

Pros

I am not micro-managed yet

Cons

Lack of accountability across the company

Hold your workforce accountable

Great company to work for but upper management lacks integrity.

I worked at AVI-SPL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are good, great to be part of a large forward thinking organization.

Cons

Day to day tasks were over complicated and made redundant by upper management that was a genius in his own mind.

Please hire management that are mentally fit for their position and able to lead.

It's a great resume enhancer, which you'll need as you're fleeing from this company.

Former Employee - Production Administrator
    Former Employee - Production Administrator

I worked at AVI-SPL full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I first started working here, the place was great and everyone was so nice and helpful. You can learn a lot in this company if your values are profit over customers and how to live in the "grey" with your morals.

Cons

Where do I even begin? Just from the company side of things, the policies are great but nobody wants to follow them and regional management doesn't enforce it. We were always on credit hold with vendors and sadly it is just getting worse. Their financials will be the ultimate downfall for this company and it is a sinking ship. Get out now! As far as individual offices and their environment, they seem great at first. However once you're they're long enough, you see just how much animosity people have for each other there especially for regional management. That is partly due to their lack of professionalism and back-stabbing nature though. Lets not even start about what they do to their customers. It's appauling! How they became the largest commercial AV integrator is beyond me!

Learn to take care of your customers and not just worry about your bottom line. Actually try to enforce these "grand" policies in all of the offices and not just corporate.

Work as much as you want...

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has never missed a payroll check or failed to approve an expense report, and the insurance benefit is relatively good. Training opportunities are available for PM's, Engineers, and Technicians.

Cons

The company will allow you to take as much work on as an associate is willing... No extra compensation, comp time, etc...

Deal with operations at the associate level not just at the management level.

Worked for AVI-SPL? Contribute to the Community!