AVI-SPL Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.5

John Zettel

Pros
  • Worked with some great people and technicians that made the job worth while for a long time (in 3 reviews)

• Programmers, Project Managers and Engineers are Top Notch (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no room for career growth outside of technical positions (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of promotion growth and there is no upper management guidance or direction (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a company on the verge of great things

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people that work at the company who have a strong passion to drive technology. The company has a lot of good business opportunities as the leader in the integration industry that will continue to allow opportunities for growth. I also strongly believe that the company is very honest about admitting past mistakes and taking aggressive action to "course correct" in order to provide a better environment for its employees and a better experience for its customers.

Cons

Processes can be very complex and some silos exist between different business units that need to be removed.

Continue to focus on the customer as the number one priority, by doing that most everything else will sort itself out. Also continue to have the honest blunt conversations to improve the company (which is happening) so the company can continue to learn from its mistakes and grow stronger.

Could be better

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers on my team are amazing, and I enjoy collaborating with them. Hourly pay ensures that I am paid for any and all overtime that I work.

Cons

The health insurance is not good, and the pay is not competitive. Communication across the company is lacking, and I sometimes feel that my superiors at other facilities do not understand or appreciate the importance of my team's work.

Offer better health insurance options, even if they are more expensive for the employee.

Hope

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a number of great people who I have had the pleasure of work with here in order to help our clients and new customers.

Cons

Growth in this company isn't the best and the compensation is not the best either. Leadership - I have been here a year and the upper management that has been here for over 10 years are moving on to different companies or positions. It is getting scary around here because of lack of sales and communication throughout the company

Need to look at all the assets you have as employees and not look at just numbers. Company looks to be sold and not much direction.

AVI-SPL at theWit hotel. Hotel runs A/V dept and does what they want.

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got real experience working in a hotel which I would rather not venture back to. I did get to learn about movie theater operations which was cool.

Cons

Having never done A/V work for a hotel I didn't know what to expect as far as how the hotel was going to treat the contracted A/V team. In short we didn't get treated with respect. The hotel staff thought that we were there to do stuff other than what we are there for. In having that view customers expect anything their heart desires when they want it with no foresight into how we're going to make that happen for them.

Consider having stricter guidelines as to how we are supposed to be treated and what is available for us to do.

Worth checking out

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Industry leader and well recognized

Cons

HQ management needs to get plugged into the local offices

HQ management needs to get plugged into the local offices

Poorly run organization

I worked at AVI-SPL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff that run the day to day operations of the company GM's, Sales and support people are top notch.

Cons

Owned by Sliverlake VC that allows upper management to run the company even though they have little to no idea how to run the company. They do understand that you keep the employees that are producing and weed out the ones that aren't. Overall poorly managed and run.

Try and undo some of the horrible management errors you have done.

Highly Recognized Name in the Industry

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Wixom, MI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Wixom, MI

I worked at AVI-SPL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great name recognition and a lot of respect from other companies such as vendors, other competitors, and clients. Also, AVI-SPL has a great education program - sort of like a private college with online courses. They want you to succeed by making sure you have all the necessary qualifications and certifications available. Great team work and support at my branch - I can't say enough about the people. Very pleasant working conditions with less stress than you would find at a comparable company/office. Local management at the branch level developed an atmosphere where you wanted to work, and...'happily' work long hours (I was salary).

Cons

On the local (branch) level, working at AVI-SPL is great. However, having to deal with 'corporate' (in Tampa and other HQ offices) is certainly a significant drawback. There are many restrictions handed down to the branches as well as a fair amount of 'red tape' in the form of reporting, basic day to day functions such as service procedures, etc. The corporate structure impedes the efficiency of the local branches. Finally, being at the local level it's difficult to be recognized for your accomplishments - unless you're in sales where your numbers are obviously monitored. Case in point - I went from being told I was on track to being "Employee of the Year" to being laid-off within a three month period. The corporate office instructed my branch they had to lay off six to eight people to balance the budget because sales were down for the first two quarters. So, due to seniority, I was let go. I was treated with respect and given a fair severance during the layoff process.
    C'est la vie...

Let the local offices exercise a bit more authority in managing their branches.

AVI-SPL is a fast paced environment that is motivated for success with excellent personnel.

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at AVI-SPL as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This is an ever changing audio visual company that seems to care about their workers. They treat us decent with company outings every 2 months or so. The people I work with seem to be the best in the industry for audio visual. Engineers, programmers, project managers and sales all work together to make us the number one AV company in the industry

Cons

Challenges. With us being the largest location in our corporate structure the corporation doesn't realize exactly what we need to make this location work. All the other locations have one person in the warehouse doing receiving, shipping, and receiving in the system. Our location has 3 people in the warehouse. One for receiving, 2 for order picking and shipping. The receiving in the system is done by another person in the front office. Because of this corporate will only let us have one full time employee and myself and another worker are temps. I have been here almost two years with no chance of becoming full time any time soon. There is not much training here it is more of this is what we need done. Go get it done. Which is not a bad thing because it makes you think for your self and find out how to get the job done on your own.

With the Chicago location being the biggest and fastest pace location in the company, we need things the other offices don't. And right now that is man power. I would like to stay at this company for a very long time and help it grow even bigger than it is right now. But I can not afford to work as a temp for much longer. With the warehouse being the way it is here we need 3 full time people and a PM associate to fill in the gap between the project managers and the warehouse staff for order picking, RMA processing and the like. I understand that every other location can get it done with just one person but they are not doing even a third of the volume that our location is doing and would never be able to handle what is going on here.

Challenging

I have been working at AVI-SPL full-time

Pros

I am not micro-managed yet

Cons

Lack of accountability across the company

Hold your workforce accountable

Exciting industry to work in, terrible management group to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wixom, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wixom, MI

I worked at AVI-SPL as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company attracts the best employees in their field, it is an exciting field to be working in but the company cannot keep this talent. Great people to work with, good hours.

Cons

Process and management heavy company. As hard as everyone tries they just can't seem to get it right and management will let you know. Poor communication throughout the company and local offices, high turnover, very poor office moral. Managing with the fear of losing your job is not healthy. Salaries are not competitive, terrible benefits.

Start hiring people because of their achievements and successes and not because they are your old drinking buddies that need a job.