AWP

William A. Fink

Sr Contracts Adminiatration

Current Employee - Senior Contract Adminiatrator
    Current Employee - Senior Contract Adminiatrator

I have been working at AWP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job appears to be very challenging.

Cons

Not very clear on what the expectations of the job.

Worst Company I Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Crew Chief in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at AWP part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can sleep with the scheduler to get more hours or get days off without the boss knowing

Cons

You have to sleep with the scheduler to get hours. You have to kill yourself and leave your family behind to please the Maneger. If your not white, you'll never get promoted

Do your job for once

AWP, not a place to work unless you want to be treated like crap.

Former Employee - Flagger in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Flagger in Canton, OH

I worked at AWP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work outside and not stuck in an office.

Cons

This company doesn't care about the little person, I have been there over 5 years and it just keeps getting worse. We used to get worthwhile raises now 10 cents a year, like anyone can live off of that, and only work 25 to 30 hours a week in most cases. You are always on your toes afraid someone is going to come by your work zone or be off in the woods taking pictures of you. You cannot have a company run by a President who only has a High School Diploma. They have no idea about how human resources should be run, are constantly ridiculing employees in front of other people and alot of times the employees are not even there. They seriously need a total makeover in management, stop putting all your little sweethearts in the office and pampering all your little favorite girls because they are running around with the President. So sad when the President would come out to a work zone and take one girl out cruising. I am surprised they still have customers.

Fire them all and start over. Treat your money makers like they actually matter. We are the ones making the money for you all to sit on your rears and chase girls.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE COMPANY

Current Employee - Traffic Control Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Traffic Control Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AWP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there is absolutely no good thing about working there,

Cons

THEY are only concerned with putting money in their pockets at the expense and safety of their employees and customers. And DO NOT let them tell you that you can advance, they only take young eye candy for the office and their friends for management positions.

GET THE CEO AND PRESIDENT OUT OF THERE WITH THEIR GOD COMPLEX AND GET MANAGEMENT PEOPLE IN THERE THAT ARE NOT PAST TIME SECURITY GUARDS AND POT HEADS. When Mr. Fink sold the company it went from bad to worse.

good

I have been working at AWP

Pros

when the season change, hours change

Cons

get hot very quik when working outside

No work

Current Employee - Flagger in Brodheadsville, PA
    Current Employee - Flagger in Brodheadsville, PA

I have been working at AWP part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paid Traffic control & CPR training /certification,free gear

Cons

You are hired for A job that does not give you any work. No benefits ,No holiday pay,No sick days.. which is why the have an 80% turn over rate. Think twice before applying.

How about a more equal distribution of work ...

Overall you stand in the same spot/little area ALL day. I need to be busy for the day to finish

Former Employee - Flagger in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Flagger in Manassas, VA

I worked at AWP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overtime hours, paid drive time/gas and company trucks.SORT OF Decent stepping stone into the knowledge of VDOT safety requirements.

Cons

Long distance commutes 1-6hrs, In a 3 seated company truck with very small middle seat that can barely hold the arm rest let alone another person. sometimes with EXTREMELY obese or EXTREMELY smelly employees/ labor ready employees. Working with labor ready almost every single employee we had to pick up was unqualified, uneducated , and not motivated to get anything done because they dont care. Weather your hired as FT or PT you are always on call unless there has been a specific job you have been requested by AWP customers to come back to.

STOP putting as many people in each truck as you can because your good employees will quit.Stop playing favorites with people your attracted to or that stays extra hours after work to sit in the office and suck up to them. Stop joking around so much no one takes the boss of the whole store seriously when he is treated as just another person working at AWP.

A Horrible Company to Work For

Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at AWP part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work outdoors.

Cons

AWP does not pay its employees a living wage. AWP does not provide its flaggers with benefits; however the office staff gets holiday pay, medical, dental and life insurance, and a 401K plan. From the beginning, you are a second class employee. If you're a flagger at AWP you will be the lowest paid worker on every job site. It is possible for you to work a full week at AWP and still qualify for food stamps. You probably won't work forty hours per week, and even if you do, you won't be considered a full-time employee. All the bad things you read about AWP on this site are true. If you are considering working for AWP, take heed to all the information on this web site and govern yourself accordingly.

Treat your employees like human beings, rather than an expendable resource.

Don't waste your life at this horrible company.

Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at AWP part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working outside. Not being stuck in an office all day.

Cons

This is a company that treats their employees like disposable drill bits. Management considers each employee as a necessary evil. The AWP management style is to fire any employee for the slightest infraction. The training is minimal and compliance with the industry standards depends on the work crew because the on-site safety inspectors are burdened with tasks other than inspecting active job sites. Off the street, temporary labor service employees with no training whatsoever were often used when the work load exceeded the number of regular employees. In my branch, the hourly wage, after a 90 day probation period was $11.08. You were never guaranteed a 40 hour week, however, you were expected to be available for work any time. Almost every flagger was considered a part-time worker. By classifying you as a part-time worker, you were not eligible for any benefits. Don't expect, health coverage, paid holidays, dental, or any benefits unless you are deemed a full-time employee. The company does not offer a 401K plan or any form of retirement program. The annual hourly wage increase for flaggers is $0.25. You read it right; after a year of work you can expect a quarter per hour raise, or $8.00 per week, if you work 40 hours. Think what you can do with that extra $8.00 a week.

This is a potentially life threatening job. The pay is not commensurate with the risk. The management does not appreciate your efforts. If you're reading this before you start this job, keep looking. Overall, AWP is not worth the trouble. This job is just not worth all the hassles. I gave AWP one star, if I could have given it a negative star rating, I would have done so.

Start to treat your employees as a valued human resource, rather than a necessary evil needed to get the job done.

Journey with no destination.

Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I worked at AWP part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Other than I was able to pay my bills and rent (paycheck to paycheck), I can't think of a single pro.

Cons

Brutal winters and sizzling summers out on the road.

You need to treat the Traffic Controllers as if they're actually people, instead of equipment.