AWP

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
2.2

William A. Fink

Honest wage for honest work

Current Employee - Crew Chief in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at AWP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, outside work, professional team oriented company. I honestly enjoy what I do and most days I wouldnt trade places with anyone.

Cons

Occasional long hours followed by occasional drop in hours due to lack of demand.... It is sometimes a job that demands ups and downs in employment

Continue on the current path and offer advancement from within

OSHA needs to look at this company

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Manassas, VA

I have been working at AWP part-time (more than an year)

Pros

At first you are treated well. Then it lasts about 2 weeks......

Cons

This traffic control can be very dangerous work. AWP is a temp agency dressed up as a legitimate traffic control company. Yes you receive once a month lame training but then you are thrown in with employees that are relatives of the fat mangers. Discrimination is the norm here. AWP out of the state of Virginia has 3 sexual/harassment suits against it. The Manassas and Columbia offices are the worst.

Just get lost.

Awesome company, awesome people

Current Employee - Flagger in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Flagger in Hampton, VA

I have been working at AWP part-time (less than an year)

Pros

very flexible schedule, weekends off

Cons

one day's notice on tomorrow's schedule

A Joke

Former Employee - Crew Chief/Flagger in Indiana, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Chief/Flagger in Indiana, PA

I worked at AWP part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company Truck and they paid for fuel and repairs

Cons

Everything the pay is pathectic it;s a part time job maybe I got so many 4 hours days wasn.t funny no way a person can survive on the money you make at AwP might as well be homeless hell the homeless probably make more money !!!

Poor Management this company needs full time for all flaggers no wonder you can't keep people

Harrasment by Day. Drinking away Depression by night

Current Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at AWP part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There Are absolutely none I can think of Other than a paycheck

Cons

Constant Racial, Sexual, and Verbal Harrasment in the Workplace By Management and Employees... Manager Sits by and Eggs it on. OSHA Says only 16 hours in a day with an 8 hour rest Period.... Doesn't exsist. If your not a favorite Prepare for the bullying .

Another employee was forced under firing to work on no time off after a car wreck less than 24 hours before. He was also forced to flag a 16+ hour day while in pain and BEGGING for a relief worker.

You need to learn to learn how to properly Maintain a Group of Individuals larger thant just 5 people. You also need to learn that Harrassment in the Workplace is illegal and not Acceptable. Also Don't threaten people jobs when they are injured

Do not interview for this company

Former Employee - Operation Manager in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Operation Manager in Manassas, VA

I worked at AWP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can only go up from this company

Cons

Very much age discrimination
    safety disregard , just get more money
    This is nothing more than a temp agency

Find ethical location director managers

Do not work for this company!

Former Employee - Crew Chief in Fishersville, VA
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in Fishersville, VA

I worked at AWP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free training and certification in traffic control.

Cons

Promised raises, none were given. Be prepared to work 10-12 hour days standing in the road flagging with no breaks while crew leader sits in company truck. Payroll cheated me out of hours and travel time pay. No safety meetings, lack of communication with OH office. No management, lack of proper equipment, trucks will not pass DOT regulations.

Treat your employees with some respect. Promote the people that are qualified for management positions instead of hiring friends.

It was a job.

Former Employee - Senior Flagger in Niles, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Flagger in Niles, MI

I worked at AWP

Pros

Got to work outside, and got to take home a company truck, vacation time racked up quick, some times got off early.

Cons

On call 24/7, the compensation was terrible and raises were almost non existent, time off was based on managers mood, had to unionize to prevent being fired for no reason because it's an at will employment state, not kntwing when you were going to work, working 16 hours without a break, and that includes being able to use a rest room, and being treated like dirt by the clients.

Take better care of your employees, offer better health insurance, communication would be nice as well, quarterly reviews of how bad we are doing and constant threat closing the shop, and stand up for your employees with the clients, I once got yelled at for now picking up brush by the client when my job is to flag traffic, all I got was I should have done it.

They do not care about their employees, they mislead you with no chance of advancement.

Current Employee - Crew Chief in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at AWP

Pros

They do certify you ATSSA which you have to pay for, but the certification is good in the state of Florida only. They do drug test and back ground checks, which you pay for. They supply you with uniforms which you get charged for weekly, They don't provide cleaning service for them but you still get charged weekly for these shirts.

Cons

There are no breaks, sometimes no lunch, you stand in the road flagging for up to 12 hrs in a day being watched by the manager who sits in his cozy air conditioned truck. Just when you think you will get 40 hrs, they don't call you for work . Oh yeah did I mention you sit and wait for them to call you for work. This is a company that doesn't care about their employees, although it is US Traffic Technologies in Florida an AWP company. The pay in Daytona Beach is much lessor than the pay in the Deerfield office. "It is your choice".

1. This is a $30 Million Dollar company, take some of that money and invest in the employees that actually do the work for this company to make it exist, put their lives on the line in the second most dangerous job in the nation and if it weren't for the employees YOU WOULD NOT EXIST. 2. Have a safety/company meeting once a month, then have a one on one conversation with the individual employee to know how they actually feel about their job. COMMUNICATE as if you REALLY CARE! 3. Give or ask if breaks are needed, instead of letting your managers sit in their cozy trucks and watch the employees stand in the hot sun all day. 4. Do not "over hire", to give the existing employees the opportunity to get more than 20 hours a week. 5. Make seniority a priority.

Don't bother with these people

Former Employee - Flagger in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Flagger in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AWP

Pros

The only possitive thing I can say about this company is that they provide the truck and most of the gear you need to do the job.

Cons

No matter what they tell you, it's a part time job and will never be a full time job. Your boss will tell you and everyone you work with that he wants you to become full time and become a crew chief. You are expected to be available 24 hours a day, if you are lucky you might get to actually work 16 hours per week. They will pay you a lower wage than they advertise on their employment ad then call you a liar when you ask them to correct it. Glad I haven't seen them in our city lately.

Don't say you have work when you don't. If you want a high standard of professionalism, lead by example and get rid of the people that are not meating expectations. Communicate better, don't lie, and don't let your people lie to get employees.