AWP Reviews

26 reviews filtered by

1. No work

Current Employee - Flagger in Brodheadsville, PA
    Current Employee - Flagger in Brodheadsville, PA

I have been working at AWP part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paid Traffic control & CPR training /certification,free gear

Cons

You are hired for A job that does not give you any work. No benefits ,No holiday pay,No sick days.. which is why the have an 80% turn over rate. Think twice before applying.

How about a more equal distribution of work ...

Overall you stand in the same spot/little area ALL day. I need to be busy for the day to finish

Former Employee - Flagger in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Flagger in Manassas, VA

I worked at AWP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overtime hours, paid drive time/gas and company trucks.SORT OF Decent stepping stone into the knowledge of VDOT safety requirements.

Cons

Long distance commutes 1-6hrs, In a 3 seated company truck with very small middle seat that can barely hold the arm rest let alone another person. sometimes with EXTREMELY obese or EXTREMELY smelly employees/ labor ready employees. Working with labor ready almost every single employee we had to pick up was unqualified, uneducated , and not motivated to get anything done because they dont care. Weather your hired as FT or PT you are always on call unless there has been a specific job you have been requested by AWP customers to come back to.

STOP putting as many people in each truck as you can because your good employees will quit.Stop playing favorites with people your attracted to or that stays extra hours after work to sit in the office and suck up to them. Stop joking around so much no one takes the boss of the whole store seriously when he is treated as just another person working at AWP.

A Horrible Company to Work For

Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at AWP part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work outdoors.

Cons

AWP does not pay its employees a living wage. AWP does not provide its flaggers with benefits; however the office staff gets holiday pay, medical, dental and life insurance, and a 401K plan. From the beginning, you are a second class employee. If you're a flagger at AWP you will be the lowest paid worker on every job site. It is possible for you to work a full week at AWP and still qualify for food stamps. You probably won't work forty hours per week, and even if you do, you won't be considered a full-time employee. All the bad things you read about AWP on this site are true. If you are considering working for AWP, take heed to all the information on this web site and govern yourself accordingly.

Treat your employees like human beings, rather than an expendable resource.

Don't waste your life at this horrible company.

Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at AWP part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working outside. Not being stuck in an office all day.

Cons

This is a company that treats their employees like disposable drill bits. Management considers each employee as a necessary evil. The AWP management style is to fire any employee for the slightest infraction. The training is minimal and compliance with the industry standards depends on the work crew because the on-site safety inspectors are burdened with tasks other than inspecting active job sites. Off the street, temporary labor service employees with no training whatsoever were often used when the work load exceeded the number of regular employees. In my branch, the hourly wage, after a 90 day probation period was $11.08. You were never guaranteed a 40 hour week, however, you were expected to be available for work any time. Almost every flagger was considered a part-time worker. By classifying you as a part-time worker, you were not eligible for any benefits. Don't expect, health coverage, paid holidays, dental, or any benefits unless you are deemed a full-time employee. The company does not offer a 401K plan or any form of retirement program. The annual hourly wage increase for flaggers is $0.25. You read it right; after a year of work you can expect a quarter per hour raise, or $8.00 per week, if you work 40 hours. Think what you can do with that extra $8.00 a week.

This is a potentially life threatening job. The pay is not commensurate with the risk. The management does not appreciate your efforts. If you're reading this before you start this job, keep looking. Overall, AWP is not worth the trouble. This job is just not worth all the hassles. I gave AWP one star, if I could have given it a negative star rating, I would have done so.

Start to treat your employees as a valued human resource, rather than a necessary evil needed to get the job done.

Journey with no destination.

Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Traffic Control Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I worked at AWP part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Other than I was able to pay my bills and rent (paycheck to paycheck), I can't think of a single pro.

Cons

Brutal winters and sizzling summers out on the road.

You need to treat the Traffic Controllers as if they're actually people, instead of equipment.

It's a small business that has grown quickly and is having issues keeping up with demand.

I have been working at AWP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Freedom to make decisions that impact your business everyday.

Cons

The infrastructure of the organization is divided and recent changes are making day to day operations more of a challenge.

Interact more with personnel in the field and fix the billing system ASAP.

Honest wage for honest work

Current Employee - Crew Chief in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at AWP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, outside work, professional team oriented company. I honestly enjoy what I do and most days I wouldnt trade places with anyone.

Cons

Occasional long hours followed by occasional drop in hours due to lack of demand.... It is sometimes a job that demands ups and downs in employment

Continue on the current path and offer advancement from within

OSHA needs to look at this company

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Manassas, VA

I have been working at AWP part-time (more than a year)

Pros

At first you are treated well. Then it lasts about 2 weeks......

Cons

This traffic control can be very dangerous work. AWP is a temp agency dressed up as a legitimate traffic control company. Yes you receive once a month lame training but then you are thrown in with employees that are relatives of the fat mangers. Discrimination is the norm here. AWP out of the state of Virginia has 3 sexual/harassment suits against it. The Manassas and Columbia offices are the worst.

Just get lost.

Awesome company, awesome people

Current Employee - Flagger in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Flagger in Hampton, VA

I have been working at AWP part-time (less than a year)

Pros

very flexible schedule, weekends off

Cons

one day's notice on tomorrow's schedule

A Joke

Former Employee - Crew Chief/Flagger in Indiana, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Chief/Flagger in Indiana, PA

I worked at AWP part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company Truck and they paid for fuel and repairs

Cons

Everything the pay is pathectic it;s a part time job maybe I got so many 4 hours days wasn.t funny no way a person can survive on the money you make at AwP might as well be homeless hell the homeless probably make more money !!!

Poor Management this company needs full time for all flaggers no wonder you can't keep people