AXA Advisors

Reset
2.9
AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can definitely make a lot of money, if you choose to focus on the life insurance side of the business (which they heavily encourage/promote) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• Hard industry to break into, a lot of time will be devoted to establishing your Book of Business (in 6 reviews)

Great Company, but very little direction for new advisors

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

AXA is the largest insurance company in the world and when you work in a company that large, it feels great. The name alone speaks volumes when you talk to others and explain what you do. In a sales role, that can be very helpful, especially when you sell insurance and retirement solutions. The spirit of everyone, although slightly competitive, is very friendly and there is a lot of camaraderie.

Cons

I joined the company with the understanding that there will be a lot of training provided by my manager. I did not get the support that I was promised and my education stopped short almost instantly. It left me feeling lost and unsure of what to do. This was my first true sales position where I had to find my own clients and I just didn't get the support I needed from my manager. I was not the only one--a lot of people had the same issues.

Advice to Management

Please be more active with your training ranging from insurance products to prospecting and sales skills. Most of the ideas we were provided felt hackneyed and old school. Up-to-date ideas and more guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Run For the Hills

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Ability to set your own schedule -Essentially starting your own business with little to no oversight and direction

Cons

Simply put, do NOT work at AXA Advisors. Let me start off at the pay structure. There is no base salary, whatsoever. This is ridiculous for a recent college grad with little to no savings. On the same note, you have to front the money for your tests (series 7 and 63/65/66) where EVERYWHERE else will actually pay for it. That is a lot of capital input for little reward. Next up: the support network. None. Reimbursements: AXA does not reimburse you for anything. Nothing. This is the only job where I had actual negative cash flows. All in the name of "starting your own business" which is such a joke in itself since most of your actual revenue will be split up amongst the higher members of your team (after you do all of the work sourcing the clients but the "big guns" come in for the close). On average, you are making far below minimum wage and the actual probability of success is fairly low. If you really want to try to battle it out and have a career in wealth management, then try Private Client Services at a bank or work at a RIA. In summary, do not work here unless you are super SUPER desperate and you literally do not have any other options.

Advice to Management

Completely revamp the company. Once word gets out about the racket that is known as "AXA Advisors", no one will want to work here.

3. Opportunity to learn about investment products and the profession in general

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I heard other branches just give busy work for interns to do but my supervisor actually spent time teaching about the industry and investment products. Good place to start your internship experience

Cons

Unpaid internship. Not very organized. Busy work did not teach much. Schedule changes are frequent

Advice to Management

Pay interns when they're doing your work

5. If you enjoy sales, this is a job for you

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule, great training resources

Cons

Must be self-motivated and outgoing

6. Really depend on who your manager is

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours (the more you work, you more you produce... just like any sales job) Great marketing materials available to use with presentations

Cons

Very limited income for the first few year unless you get really lucky Your success is very highly dependent on 1) luck and 2) who your manager is. If your manager is competent and able to guide and teach you in the right path, you will do well. If you manager isn't, then you're better off not working there.

7. Working with AXA

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

open architecture, competitive products, starting base salary plus commission. Flexible schedule but the more time you put in the more you'll get out of it.

Cons

No brand awareness, Lack luster management, lots of traveling

Advice to Management

Work with new hires and provide dedicated time to help them build.

Success depends entirely on you

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Create your own schedule Control your success Flexibility Incredible earnings potential One of the few companies that will hire you even if you don't have a series 6 or 7 and will sponsor you for the test.

Cons

100% prospecting and sales oriented. Must have a large natural market and be willing to tap into that market or be willing to spend an extraordinary amount of time prospecting (cold calling, canvassing, networking). Can take a while before commissions start rolling in.

9. Take Initiative

Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern

Pros

Great people to work with and it's a nice balance between professionalism and having fun. As an intern you aren't disrespected and you can become part of the team if you want to be. Do your work, don't complain and they'll appreciate you, the work isn't too complicated. You can attend client meetings as well, but you have to ask-again take initiative. They are very lax with students and you can rearrange your schedule, they don't mind if you take a day off or two for tests or other things.

Cons

There isn't really much formal training so you have to quickly pick up things yourself and take initiative to learn. Also the internship isn't really on a track for a financial advisor role, I look at it more as a way to potentially get hired or make connections. Again if you want to learn things about being an advisor you have to take initiative and ask A LOT of questions. If you aren't into learning or selling insurance, this isn't the right place to learn about other investment services. Yes they do money management and other things, but it is very limited and again you to have actively search for someone who actually does those things and work with them. Sometimes it's hard to look at your day and say "wow I just gained an invaluable amount of knowledge", but then again you are just an intern.. This goes back to the grooming aspect

Advice to Management

Work with interns to grow them into the advisors you want them to be. It's almost like you're expecting them to leave, when you should be courting them to stay. There are may areas for improvement that the branch can take: -utilize intern to make you more money, phone calls, scheduling reviews, gathering client information -Stress how much money you can make from a given client or case -Make them smarter and more knowledgeable than when they walked in by providing classes/presentations specifically for interns.

growing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Despite the cons, it's definitely a place where you'll experience the most character development. It'll force you to either give up the comfort of a high paycheck in the beginning or to have you reach out and network with people you never thought you would talk to for life. But through these processes, it's personal growth and relationship building, whether you made a sale or not at the end of the day. Plus as AXA advertises, it's not about selling but about helping, which I genuinely believe it's true otherwise I would've never even stepped in this industry if the company or the industry is not filled with people who are kind at heart. I was there for 6 months but I believe I've seen both the goods and the bads. I still believe given the motivation and passion in insurance and retirement planning and a kind heart, you will succeed. Also you will meet some of the smartest coworkers because they all have good degrees. Despite the fact that most people don't make it, those that do are high-achieving and intelligent.

Cons

It's more on you to make a difference. Not so much relying on the manager or the company to push you. No parking. No base salary in the beginning. A lot of cold-calling before successfully building that referral network. Definitely not for everyone.

Helpful if you get the right mentor

Former Intern - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely not a job for someone straight out of college to get into unless you are willing to really bust your butt and probably be broke for a year or two. If you are willing to put all the effort into it, you WILL get results but until then, its really rough.

Cons

Depending on your mentor, your experience here may be a complete waste of time. If your mentor does suck, go latch on to somebody else.

Advice to Management

Yes interns are replaceable but treat them well and you can help them help you! Its a win-win situation!

RSS Feed </> Embed