AXA Advisors

Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• I would suggest buying a book of business, starting from scratch can be daunting (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Take Initiative

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern

Pros

Great people to work with and it's a nice balance between professionalism and having fun. As an intern you aren't disrespected and you can become part of the team if you want to be. Do your work, don't complain and they'll appreciate you, the work isn't too complicated. You can attend client meetings as well, but you have to ask-again take initiative. They are very lax with students and you can rearrange your schedule, they don't mind if you take a day off or two for tests or other things.

Cons

There isn't really much formal training so you have to quickly pick up things yourself and take initiative to learn. Also the internship isn't really on a track for a financial advisor role, I look at it more as a way to potentially get hired or make connections. Again if you want to learn things about being an advisor you have to take initiative and ask A LOT of questions.
    If you aren't into learning or selling insurance, this isn't the right place to learn about other investment services. Yes they do money management and other things, but it is very limited and again you to have actively search for someone who actually does those things and work with them.
    Sometimes it's hard to look at your day and say "wow I just gained an invaluable amount of knowledge", but then again you are just an intern.. This goes back to the grooming aspect

Work with interns to grow them into the advisors you want them to be. It's almost like you're expecting them to leave, when you should be courting them to stay. There are may areas for improvement that the branch can take:
    -utilize intern to make you more money, phone calls, scheduling reviews, gathering client information
    -Stress how much money you can make from a given client or case
    -Make them smarter and more knowledgeable than when they walked in by providing classes/presentations specifically for interns.

Working with AXA

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

open architecture, competitive products, starting base salary plus commission. Flexible schedule but the more time you put in the more you'll get out of it.

Cons

No brand awareness, Lack luster management, lots of traveling

Work with new hires and provide dedicated time to help them build.

Success depends entirely on you

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Create your own schedule
    Control your success
    Flexibility
    Incredible earnings potential
    One of the few companies that will hire you even if you don't have a series 6 or 7 and will sponsor you for the test.

Cons

100% prospecting and sales oriented.
    Must have a large natural market and be willing to tap into that market or be willing to spend an extraordinary amount of time prospecting (cold calling, canvassing, networking).
    Can take a while before commissions start rolling in.

Helpful if you get the right mentor

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Definitely not a job for someone straight out of college to get into unless you are willing to really bust your butt and probably be broke for a year or two. If you are willing to put all the effort into it, you WILL get results but until then, its really rough.

Cons

Depending on your mentor, your experience here may be a complete waste of time. If your mentor does suck, go latch on to somebody else.

Yes interns are replaceable but treat them well and you can help them help you! Its a win-win situation!

No True Leadership

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can earn your FINRA licensing.

Cons

Without real leadership this group of offices in West LA, Woodland Hills, Irvine and Koreatown will always under perform. Branch managers say they have an open door policy, but don't have time or interest in speaking to you. Divisional Managers lack management and leadership skills.
    You can't hire everyone and spread managers too thin to train the new advisors, Make a mistake and you might receive a rude call from the compliance bulldog. I could never understand a word she said but knew she was not happy. I spent long days learning from those who would give me time but in the end I realized that this group did not care about me at all. I wanted to learn and bee successful and I put in the time, but needed guidance.

Stop looking at this as a numbers game. You hire everyone who interviews and then it is sink or swim. Those with a good network in the area seem to survive and those who don't have a network fail and move on. Take the time to get to know your people and grow them into Financial Advisors instead of being hands off.

growing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Despite the cons, it's definitely a place where you'll experience the most character development. It'll force you to either give up the comfort of a high paycheck in the beginning or to have you reach out and network with people you never thought you would talk to for life. But through these processes, it's personal growth and relationship building, whether you made a sale or not at the end of the day. Plus as AXA advertises, it's not about selling but about helping, which I genuinely believe it's true otherwise I would've never even stepped in this industry if the company or the industry is not filled with people who are kind at heart. I was there for 6 months but I believe I've seen both the goods and the bads. I still believe given the motivation and passion in insurance and retirement planning and a kind heart, you will succeed. Also you will meet some of the smartest coworkers because they all have good degrees. Despite the fact that most people don't make it, those that do are high-achieving and intelligent.

Cons

It's more on you to make a difference. Not so much relying on the manager or the company to push you. No parking. No base salary in the beginning. A lot of cold-calling before successfully building that referral network.
    Definitely not for everyone.

Good

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Biggest financial company in the world

Cons

No warm market, need to find it by your owe

Misleading

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is an old company that offers opportunities for an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Good luck managing your book of business, because your on your own and its not easy getting a simple policy through.

Working as a Financial Advisor was a great way to get licenses, and a LOT of headaches.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy sales quotas, reimbursement for licensing (and thats it) . Lots of turnover means they hire almost anybody.

Cons

Terrible managers in the entire WLA office. New hires are brought in to sell to their families and friends and then dumped.

Horrible! Full time job with part time job pay.

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None! Wasted time and $$ ( it is very expensive to work for AXA, as they charge you for everything from licenses transfer to new business cards, to number of copies you print using their very, very old computers.

Cons

Everything, from dumb management, lack of meaningful support to new agents, to obsolete technology in use.

Resign!