AXA Advisors

Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• I would suggest buying a book of business, starting from scratch can be daunting (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A bit monotonous but you learn a lot.

Current Employee - Intern in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of learning experiences and you get to practice your technical skills in software such as excel and morningstar

Cons

Somewhat monotonous and repetitive. Also, you sometimes feel sort of lost and unsure of what to do.

Be more active in working with and advising interns.

Axa provides great support and training

I have been working at AXA Advisors

Pros

Training. Managers care about their advisors. Great platform and products

Cons

Not the greatest salary but easy to make money

Require slackers to make more calls

A tough and rewarding career.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at AXA Advisors as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Open architecture - While AXA does have proprietary products, I can still go out to the network if needed to provide the best solutions for my clients. AXA was the closest to being an independent as I could find and still have the backing and training of a very large, successful company.
    Autonomy - Schedule your day the way you want. Your success is in your own hands.

Cons

Autonomy - being new to the industry I would have liked more one on one mentoring. In the Portland office there are plenty of useful training meetings but you still have to be very self directed.

Set expectations. I knew going in (Thanks to some personal mentors) that this was a very hard industry to break into. I have seen many people come and go but the one thing they had in common was not truly understanding that it takes time to build a successful practice. This business is very rewarding but difficult to start.

Excellent opportunity, provided with all that is necessary for success

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Eat what you kill. For those individuals who possess great ambition such as myself, this is the perfect platform to create an income to suit your lifestyle. For those who prefer an average lifestyle making a comfortable base salary, you have entered the wrong industry. "I am a lion; I rather starve in the wilderness than be fed in a cage."

-Rewarded for your efforts. It is very easy to see the differences in character regarding an employee who makes $35k a year and is destined for failure versus one who makes $700k a year. You WILL make $150k your first year if you are a person who strives for greatness.

-Not once was an attempt made to tap into my natural market.

-Great leadership from my manager in developing the habits of successful people. I cannot speak for any other manager, however if you do not feel your manager is up to par I cannot imagine it is too difficult to seek a transition.

-Team support alongside friendly yet fierce competition.

Cons

-Around a 90% turnover rate. If you lack self-motivation and determination, are not hard-working, pessimistic in nature and tend to make excuses on a regular basis--you will fail. Please save your time and find employment featuring a stable salary. This industry is not for the weak of mind, the turnover rate is incredibly high for a reason. If you can envision yourself making the excuses seen in many of the posts on this page, written by failures who cannot own up to their faults--I am speaking directly to you.

-There are some rotten apples as in any office, it is difficult to understand how some made it through the interview process. Perhaps I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but laziness is evident from the manner a person dresses and conducts themselves--as well as their attitude towards life.

-Start up costs among other fees. Not really a con considering these are involved in any business venture in addition to the fact that you are investing in your career and book of clients--but again--this is geared towards those who tend to make an excuse for their own failure. What is $3k to a $1M+ producer? A single fitted suit?

Become slightly more selective in the interview process. I understand the desire for equal opportunity, but simply performing well in an undergraduate program is not enough to identify one who will be successful in the financial services industry.

Rewarding!

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Albany, NY

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited potential to build your book of business as fast and as big as you can, unlimited product offerings, great culture of hard work and dedicated advisors

Cons

It's very hard at first, starting from scratch and having to learn to be a financial advisor overnight, training program helps overcome a lot of the fear but still hard work

Great culture, management does a good job letting people do their own thing if they're doing well, but also helps people if they are struggling

Not much different than most financial advising companies

Former Employee - Financial Professional in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Professional in New York, NY

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The harder you work, the more you will make. Almost entirely commission based
    -If you have a lot of customers/clients from another business who trust you, this job is for you. I would say this is ideal for people with previous sales experience and knows a little about finance. Be prepared to contact all your old clients. If you don't have 50-100 people minimum you have worked/sold for in the past, forget it.

Cons

-sell to your friends and family if you don't have enough former clients
    -rent your office back to you

I really did not agree with AXA Advisors approach to financial planning.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Flexibility in terms of your schedule. Sky is the limit depending on how hard you want to work.

Cons

They push their proprietary products regardless of what is right for the client.

An annuity isn't always the best option for everyone.

Local branch office environment can be like a small company. This is good or bad depending on your location.

Current Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AXA Advisors

Pros

AXA has many departments and many opportunities globally. They also have excellent benefits.

Cons

If you go to work in a local branch office, if you have a successful branch manager who is growing/improving the branch, it can be a good place to work. Otherwise, it can be a difficult environment. My experience has been very unpleasant.

Do more advertising in local branch locations to help growth. Most people have never heard of AXA in Utah or other smaller branch locations.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Professional in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Financial Professional in Omaha, NE

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to use Network with Insurance and Investments, 401k match group life di. No real schedule you work when your clients need you.

Cons

W-2 vs other networks 1099 pay, health benefits awful, cost of E&O Insurance is outrageous, cost of salesforce and other required CRM is outrageous, minimum requirements to not be fired are high. Opportunity is just that, you still need to go find your clients.

Take away minimum requirements, let us choose our own E&O, and get rid of the W-2 system, I lose 1/3 of my paycheck to the government and they aren't working any harder.

Upstate New York Branches (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany) provide great support for new advisors

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely helpful management team, training is consistent and very useful, income can easily be $100,000+ in first year, love being a part of a team, great benefits, fun work environment, get to help out clients and your work day feels meaningful.

Cons

It can be a lot of hours in the first few years, but this is more of a career that you are building your own financial planning practice. As time goes on the hours become much less. I know the management team here is very selective in who they bring in, so be prepared to show them you are willing to work in the interview process.

Continue with upward mobility for advisors to become managers and build out their own teams.