AXA Advisors

Be The First To
Add Photos

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries

Henri de Castries

Pros
  • Flexible hours most of the time(in 13 reviews)

• You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary offered in Manasquan(in 8 reviews)

• Sell to family and friends" marketing mentality(in 6 reviews)

Good experience, but moving on

Financial Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt was a good place to start after college. Learned a lot about different product platforms and underwriting process. Was able to arrange time off to travel.

ConsIt feels as though you never "arrived" or accomplished anything since the tasks/processes are continual. Also bad pay and benefits are at the whim of the employer you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn HR department and corporate to invest in administrative support for Advisors. Advisors are great at seller, but more often than not bad at managing.

If it sounds too good to be true, it's probably not true...

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou can definitely make a lot of money, if you choose to focus on the life insurance side of the business (which they heavily encourage/promote). It really does feel like running your own business, complete autonomy.

ConsOne of the most challenging career choices one can take on, very high fail rate. You will burn through you savings/ go into debt just to get started since its commission based. Predominated focuses on risk management/insurances.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire recent college grads since most don't have savings to give them fair chance to get started in the business.

Good place to learn the basics.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsGood basic training to get acquainted with financial services. If you're a "drink the Kool-Aid" sort of person, you'll fit right in.

ConsCrummy products to sell. Good people come and go. Sketchy people make a career there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Bad At All

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities for hard workers.

ConsLots of hours are needed and expected, but not required management.

Not Quite a pyramid scheme, but. . .

Financial Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGood resources to get started. You control your own schedule. They hire people with no previous experience. I met some great people there (who have all left).

ConsThere is a very high liklihood that you're going to get a ton of accounts and end up turning them over to your manager when you leave. They really push proprietary products. If you don't sell AXA products you're not going to have benefits. When you compare AXA compensation to what you get as an independent advisor you'll be shocked by how much AXA DOESN't pay their advisors.

Sales not an Advisor

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsEasy way to get your Series 7/66 & LAH Licenses. Can provide some beneficial financial services industry experience. If you know a lot of people with large retirement accounts you can make large sums of money very quickly.

ConsYou will be forced to sell to your friends, family and then just about anyone who will still talk to you or answer your phone calls. Little to no help will be given to you once they see you as having tapped your "natural market" and you will be discarded. Compensation is purely commission based making almost everything you sell an inherent conflict of interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some support for your advisors. Marketing, financial, training or anything would be helpful.

No True Leadership

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou can earn your FINRA licensing.

ConsWithout real leadership this group of offices in West LA, Woodland Hills, Irvine and Koreatown will always under perform. Branch managers say they have an open door policy, but don't have time or interest in speaking to you. Divisional Managers lack management and leadership skills.
    You can't hire everyone and spread managers too thin to train the new advisors, Make a mistake and you might receive a rude call from the compliance bulldog. I could never understand a word she said but knew she was not happy. I spent long days learning from those who would give me time but in the end I realized that this group did not care about me at all. I wanted to learn and bee successful and I put in the time, but needed guidance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at this as a numbers game. You hire everyone who interviews and then it is sink or swim. Those with a good network in the area seem to survive and those who don't have a network fail and move on. Take the time to get to know your people and grow them into Financial Advisors instead of being hands off.

Take Initiative

Intern (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat people to work with and it's a nice balance between professionalism and having fun. As an intern you aren't disrespected and you can become part of the team if you want to be. Do your work, don't complain and they'll appreciate you, the work isn't too complicated. You can attend client meetings as well, but you have to ask-again take initiative. They are very lax with students and you can rearrange your schedule, they don't mind if you take a day off or two for tests or other things.

ConsThere isn't really much formal training so you have to quickly pick up things yourself and take initiative to learn. Also the internship isn't really on a track for a financial advisor role, I look at it more as a way to potentially get hired or make connections. Again if you want to learn things about being an advisor you have to take initiative and ask A LOT of questions.
    If you aren't into learning or selling insurance, this isn't the right place to learn about other investment services. Yes they do money management and other things, but it is very limited and again you to have actively search for someone who actually does those things and work with them.
    Sometimes it's hard to look at your day and say "wow I just gained an invaluable amount of knowledge", but then again you are just an intern.. This goes back to the grooming aspect

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with interns to grow them into the advisors you want them to be. It's almost like you're expecting them to leave, when you should be courting them to stay. There are may areas for improvement that the branch can take:
    -utilize intern to make you more money, phone calls, scheduling reviews, gathering client information
    -Stress how much money you can make from a given client or case
    -Make them smarter and more knowledgeable than when they walked in by providing classes/presentations specifically for interns.

advisor

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat place to work good people

Consmoney not great but if you work hard you can make bank

Advice to Senior Managementbe willing to put in time

Awesome if your district and branch managers are good

Financial Consultant - Sales Force Associate (Current Employee)

Pros-This is going to depend entirely on which branch you're based out of but the leadership is friendly and there are always people looking to help anyone who's new.
    -Lot's of flexibility with hours and time off
    -Eat what you kill (commission; "pro" if you're good)
    -Unlimited earning potential

Cons-Not a 40 hours a week/9-5 job. If you want to survive, you'll work at least 50 every week.
    -Eat what you kill (commission)
    -Lots of "no", you have to have thick skin
    -High rate of attrition (same as anyone in the business)

Worked for AXA Advisors? Contribute to the Community!