AXA Advisors

Updated January 25, 2015
3.3

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• I would suggest buying a book of business, starting from scratch can be daunting (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Hostile - Horrible place to learn the business

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Albany, NY

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The branch structure is designed to really help new people learn and grow in the business. Training in various locations throughout the country is always a nice perk.

Cons

The branch I was at had a lot of issues, an absentee Branch Manager and zero support. Orphaned clients have talked about a "revolving door" of advisors.

Take a good look at the branches in New York.

Great Training But That's It

Former Employee - Financial Professional in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Professional in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place if you're new to the industry. Training is good for overall product knowledge in life vehicles. You will get a good understanding of the uses and needs of life.

Cons

They seriously believe Cornerstone is the almighty one all best investment. Pay is crap. 2,000/ month in the rbg. You're dealing w cafe, maintenance, aids, and teachers. The creme brûlée client with wealth management needs, lol. LPL system is complete cramp. Not much is spoken about managed money. It's primarily a life insurance company.

Pay more. Get rid of 6 month contracts and step up to the plate. Otherwise you'll be training with high turn over and be another insurance company. Wall St. will not take you seriously. If there was a way to give them half a star I would. 1 star is too high IMO.

Life Insurance Sales

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

You get to set your own hours

Cons

Dont know how to properly advise...they just peddle life insurance.

Learn more about finance

Bad

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

The pros are that the office is in New York, but other than that, none. Unless you like cold calling all day.

Cons

No money at first. All cold calling. Your told you'll make a lot but unless your one of the few who gets lucky, you wont.

Don't start your career here!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in New York, NY

I have been working at AXA Advisors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Sponsorship for Series 7, Series 66 and Life, Accident and Health exams.

Cons

Dishonest management
    Unknown fees- $400 to rent a desk every month + other fees like using AXA's website which they won't tell you in the hiring process
    incompetent HR-took over 6 weeks for one HR person to process my information so I could take my Series 7
    Little to know training-In less you consider tactics of harassing people on the phone training
    You can't make a long distance call or print a piece of paper without AXA charging you
    If you sell brokerage you have to pay ALL of your own transaction fees
    Get ready to fork over 50% of your commissions to your supervisor when you're starting
    NO SALARY starting out-naturally when you're starting you'll need to pass your exams and build your book so don't count on AXA to get you through those first couple of months. Just so you know the average for starting brokers is anywhere from 300-1000 salary while training.
    They'll take anyone with a pulse off the street and hire them
    They're so desperate they reach out to people that have quit and try to get them back (I've probably received about 10+ phone calls from recruiters since I stopped working there).
    Also...before you start working there just google "AXA Advsors" you'll probably hear more of the same, but check out how many law suite they've been involved in.

None, this company is hopeless.

Karr Barth/ AXA Advisors Interview Experience

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice building. Staff seemed satisfied and content.

Cons

This company goes by Karr Barth Associates and AXA Advisors. They called in about 5 of us for a group interview and gave us more information about the company. Then they said they would be selecting two or three of us to come back. All the other candidates, including myself, had their master's degrees and so did everyone else I spoke with at the company. This gave me a few shreds of hope. I was called in for a second interview to speak with the president and was eventually told that I would have to pay $650-800 to get licensed and that I would have to draw from my "natural market". For those of you who don't know, that is people that you know like your parents, family, and friends. After that, I was told that I could go for 4-5 weeks without receiving a paycheck "due to the peaks and valleys associated with this type of career". Also, they asked that I work until 8pm and come in on weekends because, "It's not a job, it's a career business". Additionally, the president who interviewed me was writing on my resume the entire time I was speaking to him and not making eye contact with me or showing any other social vital signs. I did confirm my third interview (which I will not show up for) to show them that they are not the only ones who can waste other peoples' time.Thanks for the false hope and wasting my gas money. Stay away from this place.

Get professional, it will help you not receive reviews like this.

Inferior compared to other firms.

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

They will sponsor you to get your securities licenses.

Cons

Commission only from day one
    No training
    No incentive to sell anything except proprietary annuities and life insurance
    Hidden consts

Offer a base salary and real training to new associates.

Avoid

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at AXA Advisors

Pros

-could make a lot of money

Cons

-so many better jobs out there
    -will hire anybody
    -a lot of out of pocket costs
    -high stress environment

-be upfront about commissions- It took months to figure out how I even got paid

Watch out!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at AXA Advisors

Pros

Like others have said, it is a good place to get licensed I suppose. It is a one sided sales approach, lots of insurance. old, stable company that is helpful in the tumultuous times.

Cons

When I left, they are trying to collect on almost $20,000 of commissions I earned because I did not stay through the life of the insurance product.
    Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT take advance commissions, which is industry standard. I can not imagine that people have to write checks to leave other firms.
    Policies are clear as mud.

Even my manager did not understand the comp plan, and we did not have a BOM to help clearify the plan.

Horrible, the management is only looking to sell at all cost to anyone

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Miami, FL

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Great learning opportunity. They offer a lot of training and they have excellent systems to do financial analysis and illustrations for clients. It is a great way to get experience and then LEAVE!

Cons

They do not offer a base salary. You have to pay for all your expenses (including lap top, marketing materials and any other expense that you might incur to sell). Even though they sell it as if you are your "own boss" you have to go to tons of meetings so that you learn how to counter clients' ojectives, get referrals (you have to sell, sell, sell to everyone and anyone).