AXA Assistance USA

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Olivier Van Poperinghe

Great people to work with

Operations (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has a lot of energy and our co-workers make it a lot of fun. Super flexible. Its a great place to start if you're just out of college.

ConsThere is really no room for advancement. The salary range isn't much, however you do have the opportunity to get monthly bonuses.

It's a Call Center

Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay is decent. the benefits are decent. There are good people who work here.

ConsNeverending, non-stop work thrown at you. The quality of work suffers as a result. Little opportunity for advancement. People who do work continually need to cover for those who don't, and those who don't are tolerated, due to turnover. Staffing isn't robust enough, which puts undo stress on employees.

Don't consider this company you "Home", no one stays more than 2 years.

Applications Support Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits
    Constantly changing atmosphere
    Constant openings avaliable

ConsWith a constantly changing atmosphere, comes the headache of never knowing what is expected of you. I did not work directly with customers, but supported the individuals that did. They all have the same experience, first couple months are great. Then some one has a game changing idea that gets implemented into daily business on a whim with no real goal or ability to monitor the effort put forth to attain these goal set by management. Just Do It seems to be their mantra.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing can be said to these individuals.
    They have very little experience with the company and internal dynamics, new management is brought in and let go almost as regularly as entry level employees. Nothing can stop the stressful environment caused by a constantly changing work environment with out a true leader. They only look at results, not how they were gotten. Robbing Peter to pay Paul, only were not talking about money... were talking about people's livelihood.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start, but don't make long term career plans.

ProsOne of the best things about working here is that you start with four weeks of paid time off. You get an extra day when you've been employed certain lengths of time (I think 1, 3, and 5 years). Benefits include health (with prescription), dental, and vision. If it's just you, it costs about $40 a month.

One of the reasons I've been with the company so long is because good people work here. You get to know and like the people you work with on a personal level. That can be a problem at times (see cons), but overall you can build lasting friendships. If you're new to the city, it's great.

ConsI could go on for a bit, but I want to touch on the four main cons. The first are the staffing issues. Most people I speak to complain about the work load. An issue with workload comes down to not enough staff, hence my complaint about staffing issue. They tend to staff appropriately for a slow day. That means that even on an average day you feel overwhelmed. Some people will attribute this to a tremendous amount of growth over the last two years. They'll say that the company is trying to find the right level. I've been there for over 5 years and gone through several different growths; it's the norm.

Next is decision making. At times, senior management can't seem to make a decision. When they finally do, it's a hasty decision that's made without consulting people who deal/will deal with the service every day. They've spent tens of thousands of dollars changing to systems that don't meet the company's needs. Then they invest tens of thousands of dollars more to make it work. Their ability to plan is poor. When they execute a plan, they continually fall short. The people they publicly say are "overall accountable" for things that fail are then promoted.

Working with people can be worse than going to the dentist. People are incredibly stubborn and close minded about doing something a new way. Many meetings include someone saying, "Well we've never done it that way before." and everyone accepts that. You may build friendships with people and love hanging out with them, but hate doing anything work related with them. If you have difficulty separating work from your personal life, this will be a challenge

Finally, we come to communication. It doesn't happen. They're working on it, but they've been working on it for several years now. It has improved, but nominally.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen your basics. Start looking at things in a new ways. Staff appropriately. When it comes time to make a decision, get input from people who will be involved on the front line, then don't hesitate. Any decision is better than no decision.

Need more employees!!!!!!

ProsI like their Benefits and paid vacations.

ConsThey need to hire more people!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people!!!!!!

A company that has potential if the management is improved

International Assistance Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsOffice culture is in-between that of a stereotypical start-up, and a traditional office environment, which makes it a comfortable environment for most people. No cubicles, allowing for open communication, but management has a strict leash on how ideas are communicated. HR does thoughtfully schedule various events throughout the year and tends to be responsible in more important matters. They tend to hire from within. The work felt meaningful and was a good learning experience.

ConsThey are very understaffed, and given the nature of the cases they handle (medical, mostly) there are not enough employees to handle the workload they have. Management is very poor and does not listen to its employees despite offering a couple ways of doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees not just with a good benefits package, but by carefully listening to their ideas and integrating them if possible.

A wonderful experience for learning about customer-service and the TPA industry

International Assistance Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsRoom for advancement, great benefits, and ability to work across departments.

ConsVery demanding customer service environment. Initial compensation is a little low.

Great beginning of career job.

ProsGreat Brand, Working environment, Professional Development

ConsCareer Growth and Tuition Reimbursements

Management; What Management?

Operations (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe AXA Assistance company is a great company. It is just when you work for the USA office that it goes down the hill. The employees are great!

ConsWhere does one begin; It is not what you know in the Chicago office, it is who you know. People are frequently promoted within the various departments on the "friends" rule. Especially in the Operations Department. This has to be the biggest boyz club all the way down from the CEO for the USA office. If AXA France would just clean out the old spider webs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to clean out the Medical Management. Get a new Medical Director and Medical Department Manager. This is a good old boy's club.

Good Interim Job

Assistance Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsKind coworkers. Plus, they hail from every region of the globe. You truly gain exposure to many cultures and customs.

ConsYou will earn your paycheck. Plus, one IT joker in particular (local Chicago trash). Also, program training and quality assurance department could be better managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHooks and sanitary seat dispensers in the bathroom for goodness sake. Also, lower call volume for your call takers. Not cool to be answering random irrelevant calls while you're trying to get stuff done.

Worked for AXA Assistance USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AXA Assistance USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AXA Assistance USA CEO Olivier Van Poperinghe. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by AXA Assistance USA employees.