Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
CEO

Pros
  • Helping customers with their framing and art supply decisions (in 3 reviews)

• Assisting customers with custom frame orders (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Super low pay, no where near enough hours in payroll, Every week we were moving merchandise around for sales (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, Rich mean customers that think they own you and you are on commission, Bad management, 12-4 am truck deliveries (in 3 reviews)

1. What a wonderful place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere for the creative and artsy individual looking for a place to work. Fair compensation for workload. Advancement opportunities are endless. If you have a strong work ethic this will be a great choice for you!

Cons

Work life balance / communication of corporate direction / accountability of management in all levels.

Advice to Management

Inspire, reward, hold accountable and critique when necessary but most importantly listen to the innovative ideas people bring to the table.

Fun Place to work, horrible trucks

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time

Pros

Designing for beautiful artwork was fun.

Cons

Trucks were ran by employees sometimes till 4am.

Advice to Management

Hold trucks on Sunday's. Have shipment dropped off right at 7pm.

3. it was 50/50 there

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Houston, TX

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smaller employee base in each store, fun work, great discount at all Michaels stores.

Cons

Company knows employees are not payed well enough; doesn't care. Very micro-managed.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring a bunch of people to minimize labor and pay rates, hire just enough employees to work all hours and be payed properly. Maybe consider the transportation situations of employees a bit more when making schedules.

5. Low Pay

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer nice employee discounts and you get to see one of a kind, unique artwork.

Cons

Company culture could use some attention

6. A lifetime of Fun

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Experience is what you make it, and I've made a career at Aaron Brothers. Lots of Fun loving, Creative folks to work with store to store and at the corporate level as well. Overall a great experience, with a passionate upper leadership group. The customers are mostly super fun, the product is inspiring and the Custom Design counter can truly test your creative skills.

Cons

The industry is getting smaller and market share is at a premium.

Advice to Management

Keep developing the vision to grow number of locations!

7. Stifled Creativity

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Pros

Decent pay for Salaried managers (median wage for industry). Occasional opportunity to be creative.

Cons

Poor recruitment practices and systems which are a constant burden for hiring managers. Turnover is astronomical due to companies inability to adapt to wage trends within the market. Consistently poor materials handed down to shops who are asked to placate disgruntled customers.

Advice to Management

Adapt to the marketplace more quickly. Pen and paper application processes are really dragging you down.

Hate it

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Pros

Discount art supplies, peace and quiet

Cons

store is always empty, very overpriced

Advice to Management

Match sales prices to competitors

Not for the faint of heart

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount and it's pretty hard to get fired since they're so desperate for half-way competent employees. It's interesting to see what people are framing.

Cons

Great employees never stay long so you're forced to work with the disgruntled remnants. No support or encouragement from upper management - just lots of threats that they never follow through on. Corporate communication is full of holes and misinformation. Register systems are so ancient even the customers are disgusted. Customers are always angry and disappointed because they expect to be hand-held and there is no payroll to do that. Two associates in the store most of the day - one is supposed to be in the back manufacturing the framing orders which leaves one person to run around the store trying to help everyone while simultaneously making sure to greet each person who walks in the door, take custom orders, run the register, answer the phone and do stock checks, prevent theft of art supplies, and not get a customer complaint. Surprise visits from executive team where they tend to catch you in the middle of this chaos and then call it a bad visit. No payroll to process truck shipments but they have to be done before the store opens.

Advice to Management

Don't set the store teams up to fail and then act surprised that everything is not going well. Most of your employees start out giving their hearts and souls to the job but end up exhausted and discouraged when they realize it's impossible to do what needs to be done with the available payroll.

A Bad Apple

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is great, especially as an artist looking for ways to supplement my meager income.

Cons

I previously worked for Michaels, which is simply the other half of the rotten apple that is this company. At Michaels, I had a corporate visitor tell me, almost verbatim, "anyone can slap a frame together, it's really not that hard. Framing isn't even one of my core competencies and even I could do it." My spineless manager sat there listening to the whole thing and didn't offer a word in my defense. Two weeks later I left Michaels and laughed as the tight ship that was my frame shop sunk into utter chaos. About a year later after completing my Masters degree program I returned to the company via Aaron Brothers. And once again, I had to grit my teeth and endure yet another higher-up talking down to me like I was some idiot for having ideas and wanting to improve myself. This company is 100% pathetic for keeping disrespectful, elitist people in charge who wouldn't look half as good if not for the people busting their butts at the store level to get the job done. I tried very hard to grow with the company, but regardless of who I or my store manager reached out to at the corporate level to express my ambition, we were completely ignored. They don't actually want talented, experienced framing professionals at their stores - all they want is a warm body they can pay minimum wage to so they can "slap frames together" until they find a better job somewhere else. And thus, there is a constant revolving door of people getting hired, getting disillusioned, and finally getting the hell out.

Advice to Management

Framers carry your business. Treat them like the valuable employees they are. Provide TRAINING (no, not in a spotty little photocopy, but in real group events and seminars.) Invest in opportunities for framers to become nationally certified (we are supposed to be the best of the best, and yet you can't spare a shiny penny to actually make this statement true). Create opportunities for GROWTH for those who might not be interested in retail management.

Depends on management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere, really used to push framing goals... but it was never strictly enforced.

Cons

Unorganized managers can really ruin the atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep an organized calendar for dates when to put up new banners and sale signs. Make sure these are easy to find for employees with clear instructions for their new locations. Throw away old/torn sale signs.

RSS Feed </> Embed