Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

More Cons than Pros

General Manager (Current Employee)
Orange, CA

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay for management. Friendly people to work with. Being surrounded by art and artistic inspiration.

ConsCorporate expectations are too high for each store. They expect more and more every year from their stores without giving any extra time to get things done. It's very hard to inspire young kids to do what they were hired to do when they're being paid next to nothing. Too many sale sets. It is very hard to get fired from Aaron Bros. You could show up for work and do nothing for months and, unless you're caught stealing, you still have a place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow each stores the freedom to go over in payroll if absolutely needed. Allow stores the freedom to get rid of underperforming employees and the ability to pay more for really hard working ones.

Corporate Craziness

Corporate (Former Employee)

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStore Discount - that's it.

ConsCorporate staff - no advancement unless your popular with the in crowd. No respect for salaried staff. Expected to work 60 hours a week every week. My boss was a workaholic and expected us to do the same. If you want to work here don't expect to learn new things or use modern technology.
Stores aren't trained on new processes.
Owned by Michaels and all that matters is sales and putting the blame for mistakes on someone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your computer systems. Improve team environment and culture. Even out workloads. Stop taking advantage of those that show initiative.

Poor Corporate Management

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAlthough the stores are owned by Michaels they are run completely separate. The Aaron Brothers Division is poorly run.

ConsCorporate mgmt. is unrealistic with expectations of truck processing, visual sets, and staffing. Corporate has shift requirements for all field personnel. During the holiday season this requires staff working on actual holiday (even during closed hours) yet corporate officers will post comments & photos of themselves on vacation wishing all employees a "Happy Holiday". The store mgmt. does not get to "take" there holiday days off because those are required workdays.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe stores have way too much product. The exit strategy for non selling product is ineffective. So the buyer/ planners just keep pushing out more product hoping something will sell. This results in overcrowded stores. Most stores are not ADA compliant, aisles are filled with product on floor creating safety hazards.

Horrible Management

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time for less than a year

ProsFor a retail position you get covered by benefits. Good for students starting out.

ConsBad management. No respect for the team. Work random hours of the night unloading a truck full of art supplies that can be over 5 crates. No organization or time management of sales or unloading marketing tools. No training. Depending what city you live in, the pay is very cheap. The Benefits that you get come out of your check. Just imagine working 3 hours and having at least 30 dollars pulled out of your check each month?

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers who care about their employees and want to see them succeed. The key to success if having managers treat their employees the way they should be treated. This job is only for college students who need a part time job to cover costs for school supplies.

Mixed feelings on this company and my experience

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time

ProsI worked at corporate and enjoyed good camaraderie for the most part with my fellow employees. Before moving to a new department, I had a fantastic relationship with my initial supervisor who not only supported me well professionally but also was concerned about me as a person. I was paid a decent salary, higher than many companies for my field.

ConsWhen I changed departments at the corporate office, I was met with an incompetent manager for a supervisor. There was plenty of favoritism, gossip and cattiness in the corporate office witnessed at all levels. Senior management was either oblivious to it or turned a blind eye. No opportunity for advancement in my department unless they chose at some point to create a new position below my manager.

wouldnt work here again...

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

ProsWhen your first job it can be awesome but other then that the mangers change over time and you can have your hours cut a lot.

Consmanagers cut hours

lots of moving boxes on shelves and helping customers

wensday truck night is the worst

Advice to Senior Managementplease schedule your employees more hours and be more flexible

What you expect

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

ProsFraming is fun, staff was pleasant, fair managers, enjoyed seeing sales posted

ConsNot enough pay, expect flexibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like gold and they will return the favor (sometimes).

worst management ever

General Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbeing able to see new and exciting art from the customers and being able to enhance their art with framing

Constoo much to mention all. poor pay, not enough payroll, oldest registers available, surprised they still worked. lack of any type of professional training, treats employees with disrespect and turnover is beyond belief.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat the staff with respect. if you claim to be "world class" then act like it, most stores look like they are falling apart and about to close. stick to what you know works, like art supplies and frames, not all that other useless and non selling items, like candles and jewelry.

Been there done that...

General Manager (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI made good money as a Manager

ConsHome office execs act like bullies. They want each store to treat the customer with respect but they also said out loud that "it's our job to empty their pockets while they are shopping in our store."

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen. It's all about the numbers called in to home office daily. Then they focus on the store doing the least amount and pressure the DM to pressure cook that Manager. It's always and has always been about the dollars. Everybody knows that.

Unsatisfactory experience overall.

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCreative people, sharing memories with customers, amazing artwork.

ConsNo work/life balance, no payroll, unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Give the stores the payroll they need to get the job done. "sell the custom framing and we'll figure out a way to help you get it done after the fact" is not a responsible way to run a business. It's unfair to your employees and especially to your customers, who may end up getting an inferior product. The stores hitting your "7" day turn around on custom framing are putting out crap. Coincidentally enough, those are the stores that suffer in their comp and budgeted sales as well. Those customers aren't coming back.

Worked for Aaron Brothers Art and Framing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing reviews and ratings. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Aaron Brothers Art and Framing employees.