Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
2.1

CEO

Need a place for breaks and lunch.

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time

Pros

The people are great, really sincere about helping customers.

Cons

No chairs for breaks...plumbing doesn't work.

There is no lunch or break area...only one chair in the closet-sized manager's office which has to be unlocked. There are plumbing problems.

full time lead

Former Employee - Full Time Lead
    Former Employee - Full Time Lead

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are passionate about art and actually work with all the medium they sell then you can most definitely be ahead of the game and be surrounded with product you love which makes you helpful to customers. Also learning how to frame and the whole process itself was awesome to know; including the types of things customers brought in to be framed. It was rewarding to see customers reactions when you unveil their artwork/item you framed for them. I loved that part.

Cons

"Truck", was brutal only because of the late night shipment coming in the middle of the night/morning, there is a good chance that it would take a full 8 hrs for you to unload and unwrap frames and product to put out on the floor even when you have a good crew to help you. The only other thing that was brutal was the constant marketing changes that happen every week sometimes everyday. It was tough to keep up with only because management delegates it this way. You have to work with a register from 1989 and deal with returns that you need a key for. Hopefully this is fixed by now throughout stores. The POS system sucks, it crashes all the time allowing you to not be able to process transactions or open the register. When this happens, you are forced to call help desk :Oracle: that is outsourced in india and deal staying on the phone till its resolved.

Better pay for the lower paid associates . Corporate should seriously update POS system in general other than that its a cool place to work at.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It has a fun environment, there are promotion opportunities for every employee, and from week to week management offers flexible schedules.

Cons

If you plan on working for this business, consider the following...I have come to realization that all of it is inevitable. The company is very stingy with payroll and upper management tosses on an unreasonable and ineffective amount of workloads. The compensation that is so proudly offered, is not nearly enough considering what they expect from even their most dedicated employees. Store and company policies (and even some state laws) are broken nearly on a daily basis.

Instead of talking down to your employees in store locations like they are meaningless and incapable, try offering a metaphoric and humanized pat on the back every now and again. Another thing is if you can not comprehend and follow with ease your own implemented policies, do not make them. Advice from one of your worthless, replaceable, forgotten, and very dissatisfied assistant managers...try a bit harder and attempt to show that you care.

Seasonal Associate at Aaron Bros.

Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Redding, CA

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quiet work environment, clean work area, organized.

Cons

Minimum wage, More women to men employee ratio, Laid off due to poor seasonal sales.

Start wage for new employees a little higher.

A downhill decline.

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time

Pros

The people there were the only reason work was bearable. The company operated like a chicken with its head cut off.

Cons

Employees are told on a regular basis that they are dispensable to the company. This leads to low morale and aimless employees.

Ponder why you do what you do before you do it.

Cool place to work but the pay is lousy, hard to get full-time and impossible to meet goals set by corporate.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

-Assisting customers with custom frame orders
    -Laid-back atmosphere
    -Muzak is superb
    -Free VHS tapes in break room
    -you can wear jeans to work
    -stores have a/c

Cons

-No commission for sales associates
    -Antiquated (1980's or '90s) computer system
    -No room for advancement
    -Unrealistic sales and store goals

-Set higher minimum wage ($12/hr)
    -pay commissions on all sales - (more for custom frame orders) - adds incentive
    -Stop using Orwellian tactics like secret auditors
    -Set realistic sales and store goals - your goals are ridiculous and the audits are un-passable
    -offer training program for custom framing that allows sales associates to advance into a career in custom framing

Horrible job with horrible corporate involvement

Current Employee - Management in North Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Management in North Tustin, CA

Pros

Pay for managers is good

Cons

The company banks on hiring non-experienced people so they can pay them minimum wage -even the framers. They know the turn-around is going to be swift, so they don't want to invest too much into sales people. The expectations of the management is unrealistic. You're supposed to run the store on a certain amount of hours, getting tasks done without any support from corporate, district managers and, most often, the store' s own sales staff. It is virtually impossible to get fired from a sales position (with the exception of stealing). You can skip coming to work a few times without being written up. You can skip doing your job and never receive a reprimand. You can give excessive discounts to your friends and still they do nothing. It really is a terrible place to work unless you don't care about being proud of where you work or what you do. I leave every day feeling terrible that customers get charged for the low-quality products this company offers.

Give support to your stores- ALL of your stores, not just the ones that are doing well. Allow them to terminate employees based on performance as well as promote on the same basis.

Good if you care

Former Employee - Lead Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

VERY laid back. Floorsets only happen once every two weeks, the customers for the most part know what they want, although I will say they are normally ok with you sharing info. Distract managers are great listeners and not completely detected from what's going on and are willing to help. The pay isn't bad and they try to move you up if you want to and promote within the company. You get to see AMAZING things every week. Great job inbetween jobs if you are just looking for something new.

Cons

Still a growing company so they don't have everything under control. Lot of "experimental" practices which can be stressful at times.

Organization.. I've worked at a few stores and if this isn't done well new employees hate this job, they only stay because it's easy.
    Communication.. if this isn't there with the customers they will hate you. Easy as that. I've seen stores fall apart because of this.

All work, no pay.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When you get the right team going, being at work isn't like punishment. It's nice selling products I believe in, the art supplies are pretty awesome. The newer employee discount is kind of nice as well, 30% off everything including sale items.

Cons

We are expected to be the know-it-all professionals in our field. We need to train ourselves to do this, as they feel like their money is better spent elsewhere. Those of us who put the work in reap zero benefits from this. The pay is ridiculously low, to the point where members of management are having to live in low income housing because they can't afford anything else. We provide a service that most customers cant provide for themselves, and yet we are treated like McDonalds employees. They cut our payroll and make us try to squeak by with no floor coverage. Often times there are only two people in the entire store, one of which is the framer who usually refuses to come help customers on the floor. Everything is outdated. The registers are from the early '90s and they break down all the time, even in the middle of transactions. We then have to call our "IT Services" for help, which is horrendously time consuming and usually gets us nowhere. Your entire review is based on what you sell, not what you do. I, for example, spent several months helping other stores during their times of need. Did I see any sort of recognition for that? No. There's not really any kind of recognition here except for when you mess something up or you don't make sales. Basically this place is the worst.

Show more interest in your employees. If you decide to care about them, maybe they'll put more effort into making money for you; but right now we have no motivation. I know you seem to think your random gifts of Aaron Brothers backpacks and beer cozies are helping, but they're not. Pay us more. Stop giving us and our customers free crap. You're letting us down.

Follow the rules....wink, wink

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is not completely abysmal for retail, there is company paid training, decent discount. If you like pictures, art and have a creative eye, you can have fun here.

Cons

Lots of rules that nod to safety and responsibility that are contradicted by policies you can't follow by following the rules, in my opinion. So, you either get your work done by being alone in the store as a salaried employee in order to make up for the unreasonable payroll hours restrictions, which puts you in violation of the policy against being in the store alone for more than an hour and never after closing, or you don't get your work done and get reprimanded, sanctioned, threatened with termination and finally terminated. I was actually told "If anyone asks, you followed the rules, but what I don't know I can't write you up for, wink, wink".

Revamp the company to use less store space, have fewer items in the stores---NO ONE needs hundreds of styles of expensive frames to choose from--improve your training program, do not count any payroll hours used towards the 2 or 3 a.m. shipment times towards payroll total, do not put employees in the position of "damned if I do or damned if I don't".