Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Employment Status

Reset
1.9
CEO

Pros
  • Helping customers with their framing and art supply decisions (in 3 reviews)

• Assisting customers with custom frame orders (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Super low pay, no where near enough hours in payroll, Every week we were moving merchandise around for sales (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, Rich mean customers that think they own you and you are on commission, Bad management, 12-4 am truck deliveries (in 3 reviews)

1. Stifled Creativity

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Pros

Decent pay for Salaried managers (median wage for industry).
    Occasional opportunity to be creative.

Cons

Poor recruitment practices and systems which are a constant burden for hiring managers. Turnover is astronomical due to companies inability to adapt to wage trends within the market. Consistently poor materials handed down to shops who are asked to placate disgruntled customers.

Advice to Management

Adapt to the marketplace more quickly. Pen and paper application processes are really dragging you down.

A Bad Apple

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is great, especially as an artist looking for ways to supplement my meager income.

Cons

I previously worked for Michaels, which is simply the other half of the rotten apple that is this company. At Michaels, I had a corporate visitor tell me, almost verbatim, "anyone can slap a frame together, it's really not that hard. Framing isn't even one of my core competencies and even I could do it." My spineless manager sat there listening to the whole thing and didn't offer a word in my defense. Two weeks later I left Michaels and laughed as the tight ship that was my frame shop sunk into utter chaos. About a year later after completing my Masters degree program I returned to the company via Aaron Brothers. And once again, I had to grit my teeth and endure yet another higher-up talking down to me like I was some idiot for having ideas and wanting to improve myself. This company is 100% pathetic for keeping disrespectful, elitist people in charge who wouldn't look half as good if not for the people busting their butts at the store level to get the job done. I tried very hard to grow with the company, but regardless of who I or my store manager reached out to at the corporate level to express my ambition, we were completely ignored. They don't actually want talented, experienced framing professionals at their stores - all they want is a warm body they can pay minimum wage to so they can "slap frames together" until they find a better job somewhere else. And thus, there is a constant revolving door of people getting hired, getting disillusioned, and finally getting the hell out.

Advice to Management

Framers carry your business. Treat them like the valuable employees they are. Provide TRAINING (no, not in a spotty little photocopy, but in real group events and seminars.) Invest in opportunities for framers to become nationally certified (we are supposed to be the best of the best, and yet you can't spare a shiny penny to actually make this statement true). Create opportunities for GROWTH for those who might not be interested in retail management.

3. Not for the faint of heart

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount and it's pretty hard to get fired since they're so desperate for half-way competent employees. It's interesting to see what people are framing.

Cons

Great employees never stay long so you're forced to work with the disgruntled remnants. No support or encouragement from upper management - just lots of threats that they never follow through on. Corporate communication is full of holes and misinformation. Register systems are so ancient even the customers are disgusted. Customers are always angry and disappointed because they expect to be hand-held and there is no payroll to do that. Two associates in the store most of the day - one is supposed to be in the back manufacturing the framing orders which leaves one person to run around the store trying to help everyone while simultaneously making sure to greet each person who walks in the door, take custom orders, run the register, answer the phone and do stock checks, prevent theft of art supplies, and not get a customer complaint. Surprise visits from executive team where they tend to catch you in the middle of this chaos and then call it a bad visit. No payroll to process truck shipments but they have to be done before the store opens.

Advice to Management

Don't set the store teams up to fail and then act surprised that everything is not going well. Most of your employees start out giving their hearts and souls to the job but end up exhausted and discouraged when they realize it's impossible to do what needs to be done with the available payroll.

Depends on management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere, really used to push framing goals... but it was never strictly enforced.

Cons

Unorganized managers can really ruin the atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep an organized calendar for dates when to put up new banners and sale signs. Make sure these are easy to find for employees with clear instructions for their new locations. Throw away old/torn sale signs.

6. Lead Sales Associate

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If your desire is to become Assistant mgr. Show some initiative & they'll make it happen..... If your like-able.

Cons

Pay is very low, for the level of expectations. Learning the custom framing aspect of the job is not as easy as it may seem. Revolving door of associates.

Advice to Management

Although it is retail, better screen employees.

7. Versatile, fun hearted group of people, creative company

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Coppell, TX

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great employee 401k match/some travel/perfect world for a true merchandiser

Cons

progress of growing your career is limited by your completion of college

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees, encourage them to explore their talents more in the field

8. Hard Work, High Expectations, Low Pay

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership possibilities are easy to acquire because basically everyone that works for the company is expected to be participatory in some level of management. Working with art is great and the employee discount is awesome if you're an artist.

Cons

TIme off policies are limited and based on staffing. Your pay is not great based on how hard you have to work. Business strategy is mainly "sell, sell, sell" with no thought as to how you're supposed to get customers in the door.

Advice to Management

Training is flawed. Favoritism in the company is needlessly high. Delivery times are unrealistic and shouldn't take away from sales hours.

9. Working for this company may force you to move back in with your parents.

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing (More than 5 years)

Pros

You meet interesting people and get to work in a creative environment. 30% employee discount. A good first job, if you are willing to work very hard.

Cons

The hourly pay does not reflect the amount of training and experience you need to excel at the job. The company treats even their long term employees as expendable. No tangible incentives are given for meeting and/or exceeding sales goals.

Advice to Management

Pay your people better. People don't want cookies - they want cold hard cash! And not only if you are at a store that is beating comp sales. How about giving every single employee a slice of that big bonus your people at the top are making? A commission on each sale would ensure that everybody is interested in making that sale.
    Streamline operations on every level and reduce the daily task load, so your employees can give more attention to generating sales.

10. Unenlightened. Feudal, even.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount on the merchandise was the only benefit.

Cons

Please refer to the other reviews. The information provided about Aaron Brothers' shortcomings in operation and policy is striking in its accuracy, both across reviews and in my own experience. If I had read beforehand what other employees had to say about Aaron Brothers, I would not have interviewed with the company. Much less accepted an offer of employment.

Advice to Management

Advice would be about as well-received as employee ideas. Which is to say, not at all.

11. Change Upper Management if You Want a Better Change

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate; Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate; Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were always what made my job a lot easier. If they were working as i was, it made the day and task easier. The artwork that also came in day to day was breath taking, especially being it my first job i got to see a lot of beautiful pieces all the time.

Cons

management was the biggest downfall; the second manager i had made it seem that you had to be her favorite just to be on her good side which nobody should ever have to deal with. because her favorites would get all the hours for the week (no matter the availability you had) and they never had to work a truck in their life. out being there for 3 years i didn't do truck for about 2 months. my first manager made sure everyone blended well together and was a well oiled machine when he wasn't there. training is horrible if given by a horrible manager.

Advice to Management

the employees are a reflection of the management style; don't fire the employees who don't make the numbers. look at the hours they are given and how the sales are as a store. managers should be held as equally if not more responsible than the employees. especially when we don't get the bonuses if we get comp positive for making that effort to stay that way.

RSS Feed </> Embed