Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.1

CEO

Pros
  • The people are great, really sincere about helping customers (in 3 reviews)

• Creative people, sharing memories with customers, amazing artwork (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Super low pay, no where near enough hours in payroll, Every week we were moving merchandise around for sales (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, Rich mean customers that think they own you and you are on commission, Bad management, 12-4 am truck deliveries (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Need a place for breaks and lunch.

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time

Pros

The people are great, really sincere about helping customers.

Cons

No chairs for breaks...plumbing doesn't work.

There is no lunch or break area...only one chair in the closet-sized manager's office which has to be unlocked. There are plumbing problems.

Stingy...takes advantage of employees

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Pros

You get to work with cool, creative people -- people that like art. Everyone in the store feels like family.

Cons

You can work there for over ten years, be full time, and still not get paid enough to rent a studio apartment. It is very disheartening to know this -- and seems very WalMart-esque. I wish there was a way to stand up for the long term employees.

Respect your long-term employees. Consider the cost of living -- and don't treat them like they are fools for liking your company. Pay them a livable wage.

I was looking forward to working here and was very disappointed.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The manager and the employees were really cool and friendly. Everyone seems to enjoy what they're doing and the discount was great.

Cons

I got the job as a seasonal part time sales associate in the beginning of October. I didn't train until November, and to this day (December 5) still haven't actually worked a real shift. I've only done the truck shipments that all the employees are required to go to every other Tuesday. My manager says it's because the store hasn't gotten busy enough to be able to have seasonal employees working. I've only worked about 12 hours in the 2 months I've worked there. My manager is very unprofessional at times, always complaining about her personal life and making excuses for why she can't work. She hired 3 seasonal employees without even knowing if it would be busy enough to have 3 extra people.

Train your managers a little better..

Bad place to work and very bad place to shop.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management gets paid well. Bonuses are a plus. Working in a creative environment with creative people is awesome. The young kids that come in are interesting.

Cons

I don't agree with many of the company's business practices. There is a ridiculous amount of work piled onto the 2 people who actually know what they're doing while the 8 other people just stand around and discuss their weekend. There is absolutely NO discipline for anything. It took over a year for us to fire someone who was caught stealing.

Allow your management team to hire and fire people as they deem fit. Give the stores greater control of their team and you'll see an increase in productivity and sales.

Good, Small Business feel

I have been working at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Pros

There are rules, plans, direction, but still room for individual input. You still have enough room to feel in control of your own work life. Not much "red tape." Many positive changes in the last few years to streamline processes and merchandizing. It is something different every day because of the custom framing side of the business, and you get to truly share in your customer's lives because of it. You get to be creative

Cons

Payroll is very lean. Pay for hourly associates is lower than I would pay if it were my own business, and lower than necessary to attract & retain top performers. Also, pay for management widely varies. The custom framing side of the business will either make or break a manager- this is not typical retail. Christmas can be extremely stressful because of this.

If you truly value your top performers, both management and associate, pay them what they're worth. No games.

full time lead

Former Employee - Full Time Lead
    Former Employee - Full Time Lead

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are passionate about art and actually work with all the medium they sell then you can most definitely be ahead of the game and be surrounded with product you love which makes you helpful to customers. Also learning how to frame and the whole process itself was awesome to know; including the types of things customers brought in to be framed. It was rewarding to see customers reactions when you unveil their artwork/item you framed for them. I loved that part.

Cons

"Truck", was brutal only because of the late night shipment coming in the middle of the night/morning, there is a good chance that it would take a full 8 hrs for you to unload and unwrap frames and product to put out on the floor even when you have a good crew to help you. The only other thing that was brutal was the constant marketing changes that happen every week sometimes everyday. It was tough to keep up with only because management delegates it this way. You have to work with a register from 1989 and deal with returns that you need a key for. Hopefully this is fixed by now throughout stores. The POS system sucks, it crashes all the time allowing you to not be able to process transactions or open the register. When this happens, you are forced to call help desk :Oracle: that is outsourced in india and deal staying on the phone till its resolved.

Better pay for the lower paid associates . Corporate should seriously update POS system in general other than that its a cool place to work at.

Loads of Responsibility Very Small Pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

30% off at Michaels,
    Learning about art supplies and cutting matts

Cons

Aaron brothers isn't afraid to fire you. I was never fired but if i didn't sell custom framing at a quota of 1 per 3 hour shift I would be warned time and time again. I was the leader in part time sales but even that was not good enough. They asked us to sell more in 3 hours than what we made in our own paychecks for the entire month. Everyone is required to do a 1 AM shift every 2 weeks to replenish but we were given very little time. I never want to do that again. I prefer working at their parent company Michaels better

Please train people better and do not put so much of an expectation on us if you aren't going to compensate us for our jobs. We worked 100X more than the burger flipper at mcdonald's but we were treated worse. I worked fast food before and comparing this to that I would rather have a job doing that than this overwhelming and under appreciated job.

Don't work of this company if you can help it.

I worked at Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

Pros

Helping customers with their framing and art supply decisions.

Cons

Low pay, Rich mean customers that think they own you and you are on commission, Bad management, 12-4 am truck deliveries.

Quit lying to your employees and tell them what they are going to get at the job. 12-4 am deliveries with no help. Rich mean customers. Bad management. And constant meaningless floor resets that do not affect sales.

Seasonal Associate at Aaron Bros.

Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Redding, CA

Pros

Quiet work environment, clean work area, organized.

Cons

Minimum wage, More women to men employee ratio, Laid off due to poor seasonal sales.

Start wage for new employees a little higher.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

It has a fun environment, there are promotion opportunities for every employee, and from week to week management offers flexible schedules.

Cons

If you plan on working for this business, consider the following...I have come to realization that all of it is inevitable. The company is very stingy with payroll and upper management tosses on an unreasonable and ineffective amount of workloads. The compensation that is so proudly offered, is not nearly enough considering what they expect from even their most dedicated employees. Store and company policies (and even some state laws) are broken nearly on a daily basis.

Instead of talking down to your employees in store locations like they are meaningless and incapable, try offering a metaphoric and humanized pat on the back every now and again. Another thing is if you can not comprehend and follow with ease your own implemented policies, do not make them. Advice from one of your worthless, replaceable, forgotten, and very dissatisfied assistant managers...try a bit harder and attempt to show that you care.