Aaron's

Aaron's Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Aaron's President & CEO Ronald W. Allen

Ronald W. Allen

Pros
  • Opportunity for advancement, good compensation, benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Store managers work hard and are rewarded with really good pay (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • very long hours if your numbers are not in line (in 36 reviews)

• A lot of people are out to get you it seems, and the work/life balance is terrible (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Jump started my career

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat customer relations experience. Great team environment. Good pay and benefits.

ConsInability to fully manage store operations. Very long hours. Micromanagement to its fullest extent. You have to know somebody to progress past GM position.

It's cool if you dont hv family

Customer Accounts Manager (Current Employee)

Prospay good on overtime and bonues

Consto many hours stupid expectations

Advice to Senior Managementstop pushing under staffed stores so hard

Enjoyed my job despite horrible pay, hours, and overall nastiness. (Franchise)

Customer Accounts Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe base pay was horrible for the area however if in the rare case you hit all of your bonuses you have potential to make decent pay.

Enjoyed working with the other employees and management, laid back and easy to work for.

Cons13 hour days (8am - 9pm)
    People are nasty, be ready to get elbow deep in bedbugs, cockroaches, and to climb around in houses that simply need to be burnt down.

Advice to Senior ManagementBase pay is not comparable to local businesses. Also, there comes a time where merchandise should be let go. Understandably this costs money but it really is not worth it in some cases. Also, give the accounts department the ability to do their job and hit their metrics, sometimes a generous GM will be the main cause for the collections department to not hit their bonuses.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New hire

Manager Trainee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt has great opportunity for the person that is willing to work hard and be disciplined. A lot depends on the attitude and skill of the general manager (store manager)

ConsMy regional manager excessively micromanaged my GM, which made my GM micromanage the employees. The proved to demoralizing. No empowerment. Thus high turnover. So far, no has lasted more than one year under the RM and GM. They cannot handle the constant negative feedback. The corporate office provides computer based training but the RM and GM do not allow employees to complete them.

Advice to Senior ManagementRM and GM needs more management training. They need to allow the employees to be fully trained according to the company's standards. The employee should be empowered to do their work with incessant monitoring (cameras everywhere) and negative feedback.

This company really is not in the people business.

Manager Trainee (Current Employee) Lawton, OK

ProsWeekly Pay check. No shortage of hours to work.

ConsLong hours. Constantly calling customers two-three times a day for late payments. If the customer explains a circumstance, there is rarely any flexibility unless your are a GM or Regional Manager. Even when they grant a customer a circumstance or annotate a problem with their equipment, they rarely take care of the customer and still want us to bother customers who feel that they are being ignored. Corporate policies versus what really happens in the store is very far apart. Manager Trainees also do not manage anything. The title is very misleading.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that each individual store is adhering to the vision of the company, and not running rogue as a bunch of hooligans making threats to customers who don't pay.

Make this your last resort..

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Central, LA

ProsWeekly pay, opportunity to earn more money, small "family" like business.

ConsUpper management, nothing is confidential with the GM, always want more work and less pay, always being threatened about your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the employees more often 1 on 1.

Getting worse by the day

Manager Trainee (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsThe only pros are Sundays off and the employee benefits.

ConsThere is little room for advancement. Almost every GM that I have seen in the region have come from different regions. Even if you are promoted to a "manager position" underneath the GM, your hourly pay will remain the same. Employee reviews were recently switched to once a year instead of twice. However, the raise amount stayed the same. Manager trainees are often forced to work split shifts at least once a week. This means that you would have to work 8am - 12pm then 5pm - 9pm on the same day. Like most retail positions, turnover is extremely high. Within less than a years time, I have had three different GMs.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better bonus incentives and adequate raises so that top talent will stick around. Having a revolving door of unmotivated workers is hurting the company's ability to provide great customer service.

It's okay, but not for very long

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey have great bonuses, when/if you can make the numbers
    The pay is better than minimun

ConsThey also have ridiculous expectations from their employees
    The hours are numerous
    They do not have a sense of chain of command

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to understand that their business model does not work so well from one area to the next.They have a lot of conflicting ideas as to how to get numbers, and that also makes for a poor environment.

Stressful

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsGreat experience to be introduced to sales and light admin work.

ConsThe general manager was great however the other managers made work stressful. A lot of being talked down to. A lot of gossip. There is too much down time in the store. All you can really do is clean. In this job title they don't want you to take payments, even when everyone is tied up, and customers are waiting. There is also a "first up" system so the "sales manager" has to be the first to approach a customer or even answer the phone. They want it to be "team work" but that rule makes it impossible. Hours are long. Work every Saturday.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to things happening in the work place. If someone is being miss treated handle it better and don't sweep it under the rug.

I learned a lot about account management in this position.

Manager Trainee (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsI started as a manager at Aarons and it allowed me to sharpen my customer service skills when dealing with multiple backgrounds

ConsIt took a while to finally get your lunch break on more days than one.

Worked for Aaron's? Contribute to the Community!