Aaron's Reviews

444 reviews filtered by

1. horrible

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Aaron's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent products, great prices, very easy program to sell.

Cons

Terrible middle management that does not at all correspond with the company values. Promotions are made based on the buddy system and not at all reflecting of individual performance. Turnover is the worst I have ever seen. This makes those employees that do stay have to work twice as hard and the company does not value those employees at all.

Advice to Management

Go on Undercover Boss. You will realize that your GMs and your RMs are the reason your company is tanking. Promotions of slackers that want to talk and play and do not have any HR training or common sense.

2. Pleasureable

Current Employee - Freelance Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Freelance Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aaron's

Pros

Easy to talk to upper-levels.

Cons

Strict brand guidelines hindered creative process.

working for aarons

I have been working at Aaron's

Pros

All I can say is good benefits

Cons

upper management does not show appreciation for store level associates. Everybody is for themselves. They show favortism with promotions and regional managers do not have store associates back they fold when the customer call in complaint even though the associates can be right the regionals unmind their decisions which allow the customers to get away with certain things

Advice to Management

Have your employees back, show appreciation to store level associates after all they are the ones doing the hard work!!! create a worklife balance thats reasonable every associates does not want to work until 9pm while you are at home at 5pm enjoying your family and by the time we make it home our family is asleep!!!

5. If you have other options, do not waste your time with this company.

Former Employee - Product Technician in Kerrville, TX
    Former Employee - Product Technician in Kerrville, TX

I worked at Aaron's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is a few dollars an hour above minimum wage, so it's not terrible. Benefits are not the best, but they are acceptable.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate for all positions and always understaffed in at least one department. During my seven months of employment with them, there were three different general managers, three different sales managers, as well as various CSR's and PT's to come and go. Extremely cutthroat environment. Everyone has the "it's not my job" attitude. Extreme incompetence and unprofessional behavior expressed from the general managers. General Managers treated their employees poorly and spoke to them with disrespect. Hours are absolutely terrible. Extremely hard to predict when you will be able to go home to your family/friends.

Advice to Management

Please show respect to your employees - always. You will be surprised how much morale will improve. Compensate your employees better. Your employees deal with a great deal of unpleasant experiences throughout the day when dealing with customers homes and attitudes. Give them incentive to stay!

Enjoyed the work, not the pay.

Former Employee - Product Technician in Somerset, KY
    Former Employee - Product Technician in Somerset, KY

I worked at Aaron's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not stuck in the store all day, I was trusted to make decisions, worked unsupervised.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, little respect.

Advice to Management

Value your employee. Consider the environment they are in everyday. The deserve better pay.

Customer Service Representative

I worked at Aaron's

Pros

You become family with your co- workers

Cons

Long hours, barely get to see daylight

Advice to Management

Let alternate weekends with employees

8. Great Benefits-- leader in the retail industry!

I have been working at Aaron's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really solid benefits for a retail company-- Three medical plans to choose from with HSA and FSA savings options and vision and dental options as well. My eye doctor said Aaron's insurance is some of the best he has seen! Store associates get vacation after only 6 months, paid sick time and closed most holidays. The store is closed on Sundays so I can always count on Sundays with my family. The company matches my 401k contribution which is a rarity these days! Aaron's offers great bonus and commission opportunities, and the ability to earn increases based on performance each year. There is a confidential employee assistance program to help with personal needs. The company offers free life insurance as well. They grow leaders from within, and I am an example--I've been promoted twice since I've been here! The culture is business casual conservative.

Cons

From a benefits perspective, there aren't any!

General manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Aaron's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sunday's off, benefits after 60 days of employment, 401k match and vesting is immediate that's about it

Cons

Everything else, low pay, terrible hours, no respect for work life balance, disregard for employee happiness and a terrible environment for women. As a GM i put in 55-60 hours a week and with my salary that breaks down to 16.50 per hour which is laughable for the amount of work I do.

Advice to Management

Pay women as much as you pay men! Realize your employees are people not cattle. I have put six years of my life into this company only to make progressively less each year because managers aren't given salary raises but our insurance premiums have doubled over the last three years. Too many stores have been opened in close proximity to established stores making bonus almost impossible. Raise your starting pay for manager trainee candidates so we can attract talented career minded people instead of the bottom of the barrel drifters that are just looking to get six months of work under their belts so they can go back on unemployment! I could go on for days but I need to get back to applying for new jobs!

10. Gradually went downhill once Butler "stepped down"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Aaron's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

GMs make really good money
    If you're organized and build a good staff, it can be fairly easy
    Easy to be promoted if you perform well

Cons

Micro-Management like you've never seen

Long hours

Hourly associates don't make enough

Your numbers are never good enough

RMs and DVPs are more interested in walking the stage at yearly managers meeting for recognition rather than actually taking care of the customers

Integrity walked out the door when Ken Butler was shown the door

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics. Let GMs run their stores. GET RID OF ALL AROUNDS!! Take care of the customers, associates, then shareholders (in that order, not the other way around). Bring integrity back to the company.

Indentured servitude at its finest

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Aaron's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy a high stress environment with few rewards and tons of complaints from issues arising from supposedly new product breaking down within less that week of initial delivery to corporate busy work that is entirely pointless but still essential in order for individuals to keep their measly checks. Then Aaron's may be the perfect opportunity for you.

Aaron's is a large corporation that is more akin to an octopus with split personality disorder. It has many issues within its structure. From store level all the way to its headquarters.
    If it will overcome its current crisis it will have to let go of its former idea of ownership and rethink its survivability in a new paradigm.

The concept behind its operation is a solid one, sadly the execution is hit or miss due to the lack of a sliding commission structure for its sales force.

Cons

It's not the job you thought you were going to be doing. In my role as a Sales Manager for aarons I have worn far too many hats. This is because aarons refuses to pay a decent or even a living wage to its employees and this cause a rather large turnover rate. The hiring process at Aaron's is rather longer than most efficient organizations and as such far too often it was up to the next in line first up individual ( normally the sales manager) to take on these roles as well as his or her own.

Advice to Management

Pay a wage to employees to encourage their continued success with Aaron's. This includes a revisit to the commission structure with obtainable goals and commissions paid on everything sold.