Abacus Reviews

Richard McGee, Jr.

1. It was great loved the workplace

Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Abacus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It has some great things that are good

Cons

Some things arn't as good as the pros

They were good to me

2. It was something similar to a lateral transfer into another job with a staffing firm which assigned me to a state job.

Current Employee - Mail Room Clerk in Hapeville, GA
    Current Employee - Mail Room Clerk in Hapeville, GA

I have been working at Abacus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Temporary assignments are best when you're not on permament status with the State Government.

Cons

A change to another location is a refreshing work-related experience. DOR had a nice facility on the southside of Atlanta, the snack room served good food during the lunch period, and the convenience of it was good.

Inasmuch as there was little time to grow with Dept. of Revenue, Abacus Corp. kept me on their account for future jobs.

Bottom Of Security Industry

Current Employee - Management in Dundalk, MD
    Current Employee - Management in Dundalk, MD

I have been working at Abacus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They will give you work. As long as you don't get on their crap list for trying to have a life. If you don't do what they ask, they won't like you anymore. It's all about "what have you done for me lately."

Cons

They offer no benefits other than the state required minimum, Upper Management is poorly paid, (Captains, Majors, Area Managers and VP's), Security Guards are poorly paid. Abacus owners are greedy. Management will promote captains who have no experience just because they can't find anyone else to do the job. This in turn, results in captains bullying security guards, Lts and Sgts. Since they do not offer any benefits you would think they would at least be kind to you and work with you sometimes. They will deny your request time off requests even when you give them a month in advance. Yet, the policy for calling out is a 4hr minimum notice. This encourages calling out instead of requesting off, the proper way. I am not speaking from only someone who was a security guard but also someone who has worked and been promoted through the ranks. I have been a S/O, Sgt, Lt, Cptn, Major and Area Manager. I stepped down from all of the above positions because; A) They work you to death, I was working 80+ hrs a week and only getting paid for 40. B) I did not agree with how they treated their people and they have a way of forcing you to become like them in treating your employees wrong.
    I am not saying all of their captains etc. are this way. I am saying that the ones that are not that way always leave. Therefore you are left with crap supervisors.
    Abacus management always tries to get and use leverage on their employees to get what they want. They bully, intimidate and make you fear for your job if you don't do what they want. Not only do they do this but they ask you to work 16+ hours time after time. Which is illegal. I am sure they have several law suits against them by now. As they should. The way they run business is not a way to run business at all. If not for their staffing agency I suspect they would have been out of business by now. They lose contracts left and right. If I were a loss prevention manager and seeking to contract a security company, abacus would not be one of my choices. This is sad to me because I have been with the company a long time and I have seen it fall apart little by little.
    What does it tell you if you can't keep captains, cant keep guards, cant keep area managers and cant even keep a stable Vice President?
    It means you are doing something wrong!!! The owner needs to realize this and take action. Instead we all see nothing being done about it. Instead, crap rolls down hill to the lowest employees in the company and they get screwed. DO NOT WORK FOR ABACUS SECURITY! DO NOT ACCEPT A CAPTAIN POSITION!!!! DO NOT ACCEPT ANY POSITION. TRUST ME, YOU WILL REGRET IT. I do not have a bias against them but I can no long keep my mouth shut about what I see going on. For Gods sake, the person making the schedule doesn't even know how to use Microsoft Excel. It's embarrassing.

Step down from your position and find a job that values you. You are worth more than they make you feel.
    Stop bullying your employees. Stop trying to get leverage on everyone. . . If you are kind to the people who work for you then you won't have as many problems. If you are kind to the people who work for you they will go above and beyond for you. Instead, they don't care what the effects of calling out are, they don't care about quitting without notice. Your captains are mistreating your security officers. You want to know whats wrong, open your eyes, listen to the ones who make your pay check for you!

5. Thank you!

Former Contractor - File Clerk in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - File Clerk in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Abacus as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Assisted with finding me temporary job placement.

Cons

There are not any CONS!!!

First of all let me say I am not in a management position or any high ranking position with Abacus. I am a former employee. This is not advice, but just wanting to say Thank you to a company that provided me with work in my time of need. It really saddens me when people get online and complain about "Having a job." I get it, I know these sites are to vent, hate and gossip, but instead of providing the world with a negative, ungrateful review, I would really like to say Thank you to Abacus Staffing, particularly the location in Mcdonough, GA for providing me with work in my time of need. Prior to working for Abacus, I had been unemployed for a year. Out of all the companies I applied and interviewed for Abacus was the only company that called me back and put me to work just in time. I worked on an assignment for Abacus with a major corporation in Atlanta, GA for about a month, the pay was not much, but it sure was better than $0 and I understood that there were no benefits and any other perks. I was fine with that, the pay was sufficient enough for me. After about a month on the assignment, which by the way I was told in the interview would last for about 6 months, however, it only lasted for a month. I was no doubt very disappointed, but I kept my faith and continued to search and apply for other jobs. About two months later I got a call from the Staffing Coordinator at Abacus saying that they had another job assignment available and how soon can I start. I interviewed for the position, got the job and started working immediately. Once again I was told it would last up to 6 months. Well this time they were correct I was there for 6 months and a week before my assignment was about to end with Abacus I got a call from the Human Resources department for Hewlett Packard (Hp), for a position I had interviewed for 9 months prior. The human resource rep ask was I still interested in the position with Hp, I said heck yeah! Needless to say I started working for Hp the next week after my assignment with Abacus ended. A fulltime, permanent position, with Awesome benefits and one month paid vacation and sick leave. All I have to say is God is Good!

6. I worked for this company for 8 years at Ga 400 tolls.

Former Contractor - Control Room Operator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Control Room Operator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Abacus as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

The money I made was decent and I can't complain because the job was easy.

Cons

We didn't get paid for sick time and after working so many years with a company your vacation time should increase by the years.

At one time we had Aetna Insurance, that is one of the best. Abacus was matching towards our premiums and then they stopped. I feel a company should take care of their employees especially when the employees helped them get what they were aiming for and that was their contracts.

7. Bad

Former Employee - Contractor in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Contractor in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Abacus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work
    Decent Pay
    Lots of Downtime

Cons

Bad Management
    No Overtime
    No Benefits
    No support

Find better management

8. Good job placement!

Current Contractor - Manufacturing Engineer in Irwindale, CA
    Current Contractor - Manufacturing Engineer in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Abacus as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Assistance in job placement is good.

Cons

After contract ending no further assistance in placement.

Follow up on your former employee and assist with the next job placement.

9. Contractor

Current Contractor - Release Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Contractor - Release Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Abacus as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay and benefits. Not too hectic

Cons

Small company. Lack of benefits

Stick to what you know

10. Overworked & underpaid

I worked at Abacus full-time

Pros

Can't think of any pros

Cons

Inexperienced middle managers, vulgar staff meetings

I would never want to work for this company again.

I worked at Abacus

Pros

Their are no pro's here. Other than a few supervisor's who are exceptionally good, there really isn't anything else to say here.

Cons

All con's. I've never seen a company that degrades it's security staff rather than upgrading it. Contract negotiations pretty much screw Abacus' officer's, in order to keep a contract, they go with the lowest possible bid. I went from over ten dollars hourly to eight dollars within 3 years. Their benefits are expensive and the coverage is ridiculous. No paid leave of any kind, no holiday pay, no bereavement pay, no vacation pay, no sick pay. This company should be shut down just for the way they treat people. They are always hiring because people are always quitting.

Treat your staff better.