Abacus Technologies Reviews

2.4
Dave MacDougall

1. Decent pay.

I have been working at Abacus Technologies

Pros

Salary, SOME decent coworkers

Cons

Terrible communication...one person telling you to do something this way and then another telling you to do it that way, corrupt/shady management, being thrown under the bus in order to save particular people's butts, when THEY are the ones that gave the go-ahead.

1. COMMUNICATION - practice makes perfect!
    2. Accept YOUR OWN mistakes instead of putting them on someone beneath you!

The pay was great but the management and constant battles were BAD

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay truly was great. Started at a base of 32k, received a few raises along the way (performance based) and ended up at 52k. I'm sure it would have increased even more had I stayed longer. Commissions varies GREATLY! Some people have been there 3+ years and have a tough time making their quota. Commissions was indeed based on how good you work your accounts but in many cases it was how good your accounts were. Some seasoned sales people had great accounts and were constantly making big $$.

Cons

Sales teams should be motivated and encouraged to work together. Friendly competition is a good thing but negative competition is not and that is what this place thrives off of. Accounts would be taken away from veteran sales people and then given to new hires who would come from competitors, causing frustration and tension. Some managers are spineless and don't know how to stand up to the corporate manager and other managers are tyrants and feel the constant need to yell at their people, intimidate employees, and clearly did not promote well being. Some of the people there were great individuals but overall the company culture and morale is very negative and low. Often, seasoned sales people would say "don't talk to the new person, they'll be gone soon" knowing that the turnover was high and further intimidating people. Very "clicky" office. Also, there is very little room for growth. Also, the benefits are not great! Insurance was SUCH A HASSLE! And they do not roll over any accrued vacation, so you either use it or lose it.

Take the opinions, comments, and concerns of your Sales Executives seriously. Don't turn your head the other way with regard to the poor management style. Implement the "anonymous manager review" that you said you would put into effect and get to know what's actually happening when corporate isn't in the office. Offer more wellness benefits, increase morale, create a positive culture, not a negative one. Not everyone is driven by $$ and soon more and more great employees will continue to leave because the grass is greener on the other side.

Avoid the Austin Office like a zombie apocalypse.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None in Austin. Avoid this place unless you need to feed yourself and are already looking for another job. Other offices seem ok. Austin turns people over on month time frames not years. You will absolutely hate going to work everyday.

Cons

Incompetent management that will make your life miserable. If you have ever had success in any capacity in any other sales positions you will hate this even more. I went from Branch manager 5 + years. Sales director 5+ years. Abacus 9+ months. After Abacus I landed a district manager position. For some reason I was to incompetent for Abacus. This place is a mistake in your career. My time at Abacus was brutal and I was looking for a job all the time. Case in point everyone...everyone except management was looking for a job. Turnover is split between you getting fired and people quitting. Saw nothing but turnover. Was truly grateful when I was let go. Thank god I never stopped looking for another job.

Ask yourself why do other people last years in other offices but its a steady stream of quitting and getting fired in Austin? What is the common factor?

Absolute horrible experience at Austin office!!!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None in Austin office, but other offices seem ok.

Cons

Austin work environment is a nightmare, and office does not care about losing customers. Be prepared to be yelled at in front of other employees, and monitored constantly.
    Long history of turnover, no one lasts more than a year.
    Customer satisfaction does not exist in Austin office. Large accounts are lost on a regular basis due to bad components shipped from brokers in China. Deliveries will be late and customers will lose thousands of dollars.
    Strep throat was deliberately brought into office, then a joke was made to "come over and check out the white puss balls."
    Avoid this psycho office at all costs!!!!

Fire Austin manager! Visit offices more than once a year and take better care of customers.

Fast Growing Private Company with Friendly People and Interesting Projects

I have been working at Abacus Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Office Environment, High base salary, high commission structure, contests, hour lunch, paid vacation, health, and a clear road to advancement.

Cons

Can be difficult in the beginning to qualify prospects into leads, they expect you to hit the ground running.

Focus on building the salespeople up as well as the company.

Mar 13, 2014Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoy working with us. I realize it can be difficult to qualify prospects into leads, but the reward is great so keep working at it please! Also realize ... More

Even the blind squirrel finds a nut!

Current Employee - Sales in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Naples, FL

I have been working at Abacus Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Weekends off. Your co-workers are good people and just as miserable as you are, they just don't have time to discuss it with you because they need to make their call metrics.

Cons

This is a call center. Every day you are expected to make 100+ outbound calls. With the day starting at 8:30 and ending at 5:00pm, thats 1 call every 4.5 minutes so if you actually get someone on the phone who is willing to talk to you or god forbid you are actually working on a quote or negotiating a deal ie something sales like, you won't make your call metrics and will be put on a plan that is unattainable.

None they would take, they are apparently under the impression that all buyers are clueless. Their business model is basically keep calling until you find someone willing to do business with you. The basic problem here is that this is a very competitive industry with many options for buyers and a finite number of prospects so it does not take long to burn them out..

Mar 5, 2014Marketing Manager

We appreciate your feedback on your time at Abacus Technologies. We're sorry you had trouble with the daily calls. We take all feedback seriously and will use this information to make Abacus ... More

I worked as network engineer and project manager

I have been working at Abacus Technologies

Pros

the owner is so nice person

Cons

no full time job the work is mostly part time

Mar 5, 2014Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your time working as a network engineer and project manager. We appreciate your kind words and optimistic outlook for the company.

Avoid the Austin Office

I worked at Abacus Technologies (less than a year)

Pros

Livable base salary
    Phone sales experience
    Weekends off

Cons

Incompetent management in the Austin Facility
    Micro-managed to no end and it creates a tension in the office
    HIGH turnover in this office
    The manager creates a poor working environment with his belittling attitude and poor communication skills....I never felt I could grow with him running the office.
    I am so relieved to no longer be around him day to day.

Monitor the Austin facility more often
    Reprimand the manager he creates a horrible work environment
    Stop belittling employees

Mar 5, 2014Marketing Manager

Thank you for posting this review. We are sorry that you had trouble with the Austin office and completing your sales goals. We expect a lot from our employees and we give a lot back- including a ... More

Satisfying Experience. Can be used as a lesson in the "real world"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Naples, FL

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are motivated. This job requires A LOT of prospecting and phone calls. Your day is spent on the phone.
    Base Salary is generous for a sales position that requires no special knowledge or education.
    Health Insurance and PTO but no other big benefits.
    Ownership and management are very well-versed in this business and a lot can be learned from them.

Cons

Ownership tends to belittle employees and make disparaging remarks to and about employees.
    Management is spread thin. VP of Sales is somewhat scatterbrained at times.
    Company prefers to hire younger employees.
    Inconsistency in policies and inconsistency is answers to general questions

Take some time ot figure out who you are interviewing and hiring. There is a lot of turn-over because people with no common sense are hired. Also- quit putting down yoru employees. They WORK for you.

Mar 5, 2014Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your time here as a sales executive. We appreciate the compliment about the management being well-versed in business and hope you were able to learn a lot! We ... More

Worst Experience Ever

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time

Pros

Some employees are friendly and helpful.

Cons

A lot of favoritism and pointing the finger goes on here. Places like this gives the entire sales industry a bad rep. No support from upper management. Upper Management is completely clueless about what is going on.
    Company benefits are pretty much worthless. The worst health benefits I have even seen. Not a competitive commission breakdown.

Stop promoting a volatile sales environment and try offering some resources. Also, learn to respect your employees and stop belittling them.

Mar 5, 2014Marketing Manager

We are sorry you did not have a good experience working Abacus Technologies, but we wish you the best in your new position.

Abacus Technologies Photos

We take our work seriously
We take our work seriously
Our soldier pot has fixed many chips

+ Add Photo