Abacus Technology

Dennis J. Yee

Good Company

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Abacus Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work hours, management willing to listen to issues, great PM

Cons

HQ's involovment non-existant. Lack of professional development opprotunities and training

benefits cut, salary poor, sr. management oblivious

Former Contractor - Service Desk Technician in Tinker AFB, OK
    Former Contractor - Service Desk Technician in Tinker AFB, OK

I worked at Abacus Technology as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

i had good coworkers, but that's always a crap shoot. They got me onboard from another contract pretty quickly, but not with enough time to give a full two weeks notice. Good benefits to start with, and pay comparable to previous position.

Cons

Had me do side work and expected me to do it for free, which wasn't part of my contract. Eventually got a gift debit card that almost covers it, but still felt really offensive as I did perform work for the company. Management claims to have fought to raise salaries but I was dubious. The best we ever got was just enough to cover the tax increase. Benefits started decent, were switched out for a lower-cost-to-the-employer variant that raised my out of pocket medical expenses by a large amount.

Pay and take care of your people better; take a real interest in your contracts. With gov't contracts, I suspect they can pump-and-dump it but it can't be a lasting business model.

Abacus Technology Kennedy Space Center Florida

I have been working at Abacus Technology

Pros

Great team members who work well with one another who coordinate to accomplish mission and goals.

Cons

Based on the overall environment at the space center the company must reduce labor force and reorganize to be competitive but the RIF only creates a more difficult work environment, doing more with less.

The company should look into cross training their employees and use their workforce in a more effective manner. If positions are slated to be eliminated the company would do well if they took those highly skilled employees and place them in areas where they could still be a vital part of the company and team.

Outstanding Company to work for

I have been working at Abacus Technology full-time

Pros

Abacus is an employee focused company that offers flexible environment. They have great options for employment with a variety of task. Employees are encouraged to bring best practices to their projects and Senior Management fully embraces change.

Cons

Not always enough resources to complete task to the best of your ability

As a company, Abacus is willing to assist its employees with training and education

I have been working at Abacus Technology full-time

Pros

Training reimbursement
    Good co-workers who are in the know

Cons

Difficult to navigate and talk with management
    Management seems to be only concerned about getting contracts, and less concerned about their employees welfare.

A great starter job.

Current Contractor - Toll Collector in Richmond, VA
    Current Contractor - Toll Collector in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Abacus Technology as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Abacus in the toll collection positions is the availability of time. It can be a great 2nd job because only 16 hours of your time is required. 9.25 is a pretty good salary to start out with and you have the potential to earn some good hours even overtime if you have the time for it.

Cons

Toll collecting can be painfully boring at times. Sometimes your sitting maybe for an hour or two without a customer at 6 am which is hard. You may learn how to drink coffee, read a good book, or plan on doing something without electronics with your time. You have to pay the tolls going to work.

I would advise getting better compensation plans for the workers and more opportunity to move up in the company.

20+ years

I have been working at Abacus Technology

Pros

Interesting projects and people to work with

Cons

Nothing of major importance to report

Generally poorly managed, unethical, and HR is non-responsive

Former Employee - Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst

I worked at Abacus Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits were generally very competitive.

Cons

They are geared specifically to be as entrenched as possible with government contracts, and behave in unethical manners in order to tie themselves into the corruption occurring in the gov't offices where they are. They do not believe or act as though their employees are an asset to the business. Instead, the assets are their gov't contacts. Should you ever run afoul or make someone unhappy in the gov't, you will have no advocate and no protection.

The only good news about all of this is that their HR department is also the same, which seems that would be bad. However, if you document everything, and you can document HR's lack of involvement, it can work to your benefit. They will certainly not respond to legal requests and complaints, which you may be able to use to your advantage if you find yourself forced to work there.

EABODADIAF

Working against each other

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Sp Ct, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Sp Ct, FL

I have been working at Abacus Technology

Pros

Some very good people getting the work done, pockets of proffesional cooperation and vision

Cons

At this location-Directionless management that spends more time trying not to work with each other and hiding information to political ends.
    No unified front
    I don't believe it is idicative to the entire company

Provide direction and support the direction.
    Focus on correcting issues intead of hiding them or bandaiding.

Very good

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Abacus Technology

Pros

small company, they care about their employees

Cons

government contract work is based on the company receiving contracts. sometimes contracts dont work out.