Abacus Technology

Add Photos

Dennis J. Yee

Outstanding Company to work for

I have been working at Abacus Technology full-time

ProsAbacus is an employee focused company that offers flexible environment. They have great options for employment with a variety of task. Employees are encouraged to bring best practices to their projects and Senior Management fully embraces change.

ConsNot always enough resources to complete task to the best of your ability

As a company, Abacus is willing to assist its employees with training and education

I have been working at Abacus Technology full-time

ProsTraining reimbursement
Good co-workers who are in the know

ConsDifficult to navigate and talk with management
Management seems to be only concerned about getting contracts, and less concerned about their employees welfare.

A great starter job.

Toll Collector (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Abacus Technology as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the best reasons to work for Abacus in the toll collection positions is the availability of time. It can be a great 2nd job because only 16 hours of your time is required. 9.25 is a pretty good salary to start out with and you have the potential to earn some good hours even overtime if you have the time for it.

ConsToll collecting can be painfully boring at times. Sometimes your sitting maybe for an hour or two without a customer at 6 am which is hard. You may learn how to drink coffee, read a good book, or plan on doing something without electronics with your time. You have to pay the tolls going to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise getting better compensation plans for the workers and more opportunity to move up in the company.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

20+ years

I have been working at Abacus Technology

ProsInteresting projects and people to work with

ConsNothing of major importance to report

Generally poorly managed, unethical, and HR is non-responsive

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Abacus Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary and benefits were generally very competitive.

ConsThey are geared specifically to be as entrenched as possible with government contracts, and behave in unethical manners in order to tie themselves into the corruption occurring in the gov't offices where they are. They do not believe or act as though their employees are an asset to the business. Instead, the assets are their gov't contacts. Should you ever run afoul or make someone unhappy in the gov't, you will have no advocate and no protection.

The only good news about all of this is that their HR department is also the same, which seems that would be bad. However, if you document everything, and you can document HR's lack of involvement, it can work to your benefit. They will certainly not respond to legal requests and complaints, which you may be able to use to your advantage if you find yourself forced to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementEABODADIAF

Working against each other

Kennedy Sp Ct, FL

I have been working at Abacus Technology

ProsSome very good people getting the work done, pockets of proffesional cooperation and vision

ConsAt this location-Directionless management that spends more time trying not to work with each other and hiding information to political ends.
No unified front
I don't believe it is idicative to the entire company

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide direction and support the direction.
Focus on correcting issues intead of hiding them or bandaiding.

Very good

Network Engineer (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Abacus Technology

Prossmall company, they care about their employees

Consgovernment contract work is based on the company receiving contracts. sometimes contracts dont work out.

Not Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Abacus Technology

ProsMake you employer look good and you've got a job. Do what you're told to do within the best of your ability and everything is alright.

ConsSome positions aren't as described, they may be more or less than you're looking for. Working for the government is really the issue. There is no fault on Abacus.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company as long as your honest with your supervision about your expectations and how the customer relations are going.

Management is in over their heads

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Abacus Technology

ProsPay is OK, slightly below market. If you keep your head down and don't make waves, you can stay in your position for quite a while, with minimal effort. Management is not individually problematic, as they are much too busy and scattered to bother with any one individual.

ConsThe company is very small, with several big contracts that are very young. The company does not know how to manage their clients, don't understand scope control, and can't staff appropriately for the job requirements. The benefits are quite expensive, and HR can't seem to be organized enough to get the correct benefits information to individuals. Abacus does not follow its own policies in the employee handbook. Even with requests for feedback, there has been no performance or salary reviews. Management does not understand tech or tech requirements, will promise the world to their clients, and then expect solutions delivered immediately.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people on-site locally. Understand change management and how it relates to technology. Pay attention to your employees, and utilize their knowledge and understanding. Stop reacting to any noise made by the client, and work the contract.

Its a job, nothing more, nothing less.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Fort Stewart, GA

I have been working at Abacus Technology

ProsThe company has a very good benefit plan. They appear to be winning contracts and growing. What interaction we have we management is always cordial.

ConsWorking at a remote site. We see management approximately twice a year. There is absolutely NO feedback on job performance, good or bad. When we do see management, they very rarely want any input. This company is fine for small contracts, but by no means are they ready for large federal government work. Training is non-existant. It is common for management to not be able to recognize that employees are asked to perform 2-3 times a normal workload without any additional compensation, or assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with your people.

Worked for Abacus Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abacus Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abacus Technology CEO Dennis J. Yee. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Abacus Technology employees.