Abaxis Reviews

2.7
Abaxis Chairman, President, and CEO Clint Severson
Clint Severson

1. Great Company

I worked at Abaxis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great company to work for. we worked well as a group. The lab was the best lab in the country. My direct supervisor was amazing as was the President and VP of the lab.

Cons

They sold the Laboratory to a competitor and laid everyone off.

2. Great company experience so far!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Union City, CA

I have been working at Abaxis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has been very helpful to me. I started at this company with one set of job expectations, but those expectations changed rapidly. I have had a great opportunity to learn and grow, to make important decisions, and to provide leadership during my Director's leave of absence.

Cons

I took a pay cut to come to Abaxis. That was base pay only. As my responsibilities have increased, I believe I have been treated very fairly as far as earning potential is concerned.

Advice to Management

This is a successful company and I expect it will continue to succeed. Plans need to be put in place for succession as many in roles of leadership approach retirement. The company has a conservative approach to compensation, and it has proven to be a successful approach to date. As the marketplace changes, an appropriate response could make the difference between finding the quality team members we need, and just scraping by with those we can afford to hire.

3. Disappointed - company is going in the wrong direction again.

Current Employee - Territory Manager Outside Sales in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager Outside Sales in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Abaxis full-time

Pros

Great coworkers - I have met so many quality people that really care. Good product Awesome customers If you are favored by corporate you will have an amazing experience.

Cons

Management Total focus on analyzer sales at any cost Do not care about the customer Everyone has the same quota regardless of potential. If you have a small territory you will struggle.

Advice to Management

Focus on the long term benefits of satisfied customers not just jamming boxes into clinics for Wall Street. When 75% of the company cannot hit quota - the problem is not the sales reps. You are losing the highest quality reps you have. You turned it around before when you removed Jeff from the NSD position, but he is back behind the scenes poisoning a great company.

Awful

Pros

It's a paycheck. The company is growing, and it's a good takeover target. Some areas of the company are much better than others.

Cons

Awful culture. Well-entrenched executives are allowed to publicly humiliate employees and throw "temper tantrums" complete with yelling and pounding on doors. Entire functions "walk on egg shells" afraid of an outburst of negativity from well-entrenched executives. HIGH stress environment.

Advice to Management

Insist that EVERYONE treat others with respect and dignity.

Aug 11, 2015 – HR Rep

I have been with Abaxis for just 8 months and have not had the opportunity to witness such behavior firsthand. I have heard stories that this behavior may have existed in the past. Abaxis is ... More

(avrl - before we were sold out)

Former Employee - Mlt in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Mlt in Olathe, KS

I worked at Abaxis (More than 5 years)

Pros

I considered leaving several times because I was overwhelmed and overworked.... But at the end of the day, they knew and they cared and they were trying to do something about it... Great team and company. Awesome work environment. Steady workload Learning encouraged

Cons

Bought out Big abaxis only wants sales All employees were dropped on their behinds like it was no big deal, brush your shoulders off....

Advice to Management

Know your techs, I knew how to fix half your problems in under a week, but I read people better than most. Amazing guy, honestly. Always willing to teach if you were willing to learn.

Aug 11, 2015 – HR Rep

I was part of the team who were responsible for closing down the AVRL facility. It was heartbreaking to have to act on this decision. I worked side by side with our company President and VP of ... More

7. Engineer

Pros

Work hours are flexible and colleagues are helpful. The management seems to be trying to move company to greater height.

Cons

Some people have been here for a long time and not a great risk taker. Changes can be slow at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Company is moving in the right direction.

8. Horrible Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA

I have been working at Abaxis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not see any pros of working at Abaxis.

Cons

- No work life Balance. -Ready to work for at least 10-12 Hrs/ Day minimum. For exempt, no comp time. -Minimum Benefit. 401(K) match at the end of the quarter, only if management agrees -No education or training reimbursement.

Advice to Management

-Start thinking about the employees not only at higher management.

Aug 11, 2015 – HR Rep

As this person has decided to be anonymous, I can't vouch for the number of hours they work. Apparently they are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and want to work the minimum number ... More

Challenging but you would be glad to work here.

Former Employee - Carbon Rod In Sector G in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - Carbon Rod In Sector G in Union City, CA

I worked at Abaxis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great products. If you work here you will succeed if you execute well and strive to do well.

Cons

Lots of paperwork. The devil is in the details.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Office worker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA

I worked at Abaxis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The very poor behavior of management takes away any pros.

Cons

Terrible management... this type of company is why unions are still around. You are treated very badly at this company, their behavior is very demeaning toward the workers.. The folks that are still there leave!!!. The job market has gotten better.

Advice to Management

If I could I would give negative stars..read the other reviews why have you allowed this to happen???

Worst sales job I've ever had

Pros

The VS2 analyzer is a great product, and I think beats the competitors.

Cons

Commission structure changes on a whim, and not for the better. Terrible base pay. Unrealistic expectations. Lack of support. Matched 401k; then decided to not match anymore without telling everyone. Horrible expense account--not even allowed to buy a doctor a glass of wine with dinner. Many reps ended up eating the costs of their expense accounts. Horrible culture. 50% turnover during my tenure, and I hear that is pretty standard.

Advice to Management

Customize territory goals--large and small territories should not have the same goals. It's unrealistic. Give employees a sense of stability and stop making them disposable.

RSS Feed </> Embed