AbbVie

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard A. Gonzalez

Pros
  • Good compensation, work life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Great Benefits, Competitive Salary, Sr management involvement(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High workloads adversely impacts work-life balance across multiple functions(in 5 reviews)

• Lack of work-life balance in some areas of the company(in 2 reviews)

Failing and ineffective leadership

ProsWork-life balance is great. Direct leadership is also good, not perfect but good enough. Compensation and salary are good but that is a continuation of Abbott salary. All the good things are carryover from Abbott. Abbott was not perfect but AbbVie could be so much better.

ConsUpper management hired after the separation from Abbott demonstrate lack of effective leadership. When no one from the original organization is promoted to positions they clearly qualify for then something is not right. Newly hired DVPs are completely disconnected from the reality of a very fluid industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who work there about how the industry operates . However not liking the reality on the ground and what you are hearing and then hiring a consultant group to tell you what you want to hear is pretty foolish and a waste of talent and money. Changes being made in isolation from the greater AbbVie community will likely have negative consequences on overall company performance.

Great compensation but career growth tough

ProsGood compensation, work life balance

ConsCareer growth is tough and some things are not very transparent

Challenging but rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany produces medicines that can greatly improve peoples lives around the world.
    Challenging assignments

ConsNot savvy in the use of IT as much as it could be. May get better the farther it gets from being part of Abbott.

Advice to Senior Managementnvest more in IT.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good learning experience, but not the most healthy workplace

Director (Former Employee) North Chicago, IL

ProsA great place to learn (sometimes by counter example), very good at marketing, good benefits, good products (Humira, Kaletra) that truly improve people's lives.

ConsInsular culture, silos headed by empire builders, position authority more important than expertise, too much emphasis on formal education as a qualification (at most levels).

Advice to Senior ManagementSince leaving, what I've often been told that it's difficult to work with AbbVie. That is not good in an era that our industry needs to be more collaborative.

Lowest Pay in the Industry

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility, vacation and paid time off, medical benefits, company car, pension, various locations, great for entry level for experience possible early professional.

ConsLow salaries with small yearly increases, Micromanagement at its finest, Sales Meetings are a beating and accomplish nothing. Discourage reps from thinking on their own. Waste money on speaker programs that are not beneficial but if you don't spend money like crazy then management assumes you are not working.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign pay with the industry, Realistic Sales goals, True Transparency

OK, good if you are new to pharma.

ProsNice people to work with. Good wages, benefit, compensation

ConsVery hard to move up in the company and work/life balance is not so good. Management is not transparent and new ideas are not accepted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to close down during the holidays, that might be helpful. Need more team building and transparency

Hope your project has good leadership.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsIf your project has good leadership, it can be successful. Otherwise, you will find yourself spinning.

I am a contractor but I have heard that the employee benefits (stock options, bonuses) make up for the generally lower salaries.

ConsLots of people working inefficiently, poor communication on projects. Many employees just skate by not really trying to improve processes or step up and take responsibility.

Overall, OK.

Training Coordinator (Former Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsGood wages, benefits and compensation IF you are a full-time employee

ConsThey hire more contractors than employees and contractors are not treated the same as regular, permanent employees/team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that ALL managers treat their contractors with the same respect and accountability as their regular, permanent employees.

It's been a fantastic career so far!

ProsWhen you reach Director level, pay and benefits is generous. Very sharp, motivated and intelligent employees. Lots of growth opportunity.

ConsLack of work-life balance in some areas of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain Abbott culture of promoting from within. I've seen too many high-level positions filled from outside the company in our first year.

Abbvie has great potentials

ProsAfter the separation with Abbott, you can tell Abbvie is trying to shake off the conservative Abbott and trying to improve many processes. I think there is great potential with all the changes but it will take time.

ConsAbbvie is a far drive from the city, so for people who wants to live downtown, it is a tough commute

Advice to Senior ManagementWould suggest a more modern work space with bright colors and many nice cafe areas for people to have business meetings over coffee. Due to the large size of the campus, having bicycles will promote health lifestyle and easy transportation to get around. There is definitely too many systems and process in R&D that can be streamlined.

Worked for AbbVie? Contribute to the Community!