AbbVie

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard A. Gonzalez

Pros:
  • "Good compensation, work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, Competitive Salary, Sr management involvement"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very hard to move up in the company and work/life balance is not so good"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Lack of work-life balance in some areas of the company"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Let Them Eat Cake

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AbbVie full-time for more than 10 years

Pros* Good Salary / Benefits
* Flexible schedules with right manager

Cons* Advancement for the suck ups and politico
* Company is not sure what it is (bio pharma or Mad Men)
* Inconsistant and bad leadership
* Punish mistakes harshly, punish the messengers

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the Talk!
Live in reality and stop the politics
Stop hiring consultants that just blow smoke and tell you what you want to hear.

The green is greener outside of Abbvie

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at AbbVie full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits, annual profit share, perfect place to slack off (if you've been employed long enough), okay salaries (on the cheap side)

Cons- Type A personalities not appreciated. Preference goes to low risk employees (w/ kids, debt, no ambition)
- You will find managers/directors with an associate bachelor degree managing people with top MBAs!
- CEO is a high schooler. I want to know which high school he attended so I point it out to Bloomberg to include in their MBA rankings.
- It is who you know ... friends are hiring friends.
- Firm is lacking integrity; currently under Corporate Integrity Agreement with the Federal Government for off labeling marketing of Depakote (= reason for the split from Abbott)
- Disorganized company still trying to separate from the mother ship (Abbott). Cultural survey pointed out lack of work life balance.

Advice to Senior Management- Get an educated CEO.
- Maintain or increase the stock price until I cash out (that is, before Gilead launches its hepatitis C drug ahead of ABBV).

Lowest Pay in the Industry

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at AbbVie full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexibility, vacation and paid time off, medical benefits, company car, pension, various locations, great for entry level for experience possible early professional.

ConsLow salaries with small yearly increases, Micromanagement at its finest, Sales Meetings are a beating and accomplish nothing. Discourage reps from thinking on their own. Waste money on speaker programs that are not beneficial but if you don't spend money like crazy then management assumes you are not working.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign pay with the industry, Realistic Sales goals, True Transparency

Sales

I have been working at AbbVie

ProsGood products to sell. Some great people. Possible opportunities if you can wait.

ConsHyper managed from top down. Different divisions treated very differently. Lack of transparency. Never really know where you stand. Top reps tend to make same money as bottom reps due to quota system. Keep increasing cost to the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around and realize the changes you are making are too little and too late. Hire and promote better people!

Brilliant People Running In Circles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AbbVie as a contractor

Prosvery smart people, amble resources

ConsOn substance of projects, lack of vision and coordination across functions resulted in brilliant people running in circles. On logistics, Byzantine bureaucracy made you feel as though you had been transported to some conglomerate in the 1950s. Circles + bureaucracy = hard to get job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreating / articulating vision + better coordinating resources = better employee experience, greater shareholder value

Deluded management, lack of growth opportunities, unbalanced/unfair pay

Scientist (Current Employee)
North Chicago, IL

I have been working at AbbVie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros1) Decent benefits
2) Good place to be in if you are looking for short term opportunities (3-5 years) or want to start a career.

Cons1) Lost management with some old thinking and unclear end point. Management is deluded about reality and is attempting to make changes without TRULY understanding the present situation.
2) Unbalanced payscale - new hires could end up getting paid more than existing employees at the same level and with more years of experience or qualification.
3) Not much growth opportunity (especially if you are ambitious)
4) Too much time and resoruces are wasted in initiatives/collaborations that don't seem to pay off

Advice to Senior Management1) Do some soul searching to get rid off old and bad management practices/people. You cannot expect employees to keep the best interest of the company in mind (even if they intend to) when the company management ignores the employee's interest and uses unfair practices.
2) Too much time and energy is spent in collaborations at the upper level which does not filter to the lower levels which is where it probably matters most since the lower levels need to work cohesively to achieve goals.
3) Throwing jargons of what this new company is all about is not going to get the company anywhere. The strategy is similar to a beautiful gift wrapped birthday present with nothing in it. The excitement will die once the truth (emptiness) is known.
4) Culture needs to be defined by each and every employee (or at least the vast majortiy) and not just by management in order for every one to buy in. Obtain employee input on what sort of culture they would like to have in the company. This would bring in more involvement and commitment as employees will feel they are being heard and that they are part of the company. If not, it will just be another round of management mandate that employees will follow because it is their job and not their company

Tale of Two Worlds

I have been working at AbbVie

ProsStrong financial management and great product performance TODAY

Conslack of developmental opportunites
Too much exposure to HUMIRA \
Can we get anything to lauch out of our pipeline?
Conflicing directions -- be a lean, decisive biopharmaceutical company and yet we just signed a CIA

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get in the trenched a little more and actually understand how to implement the changes they want.

Confusion

Specialist Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at AbbVie full-time

ProsStable career up to now

ConsThere has been a disarray of Quota accomplishment and squed rankings that have really left a sour taste in veteran reps with the company

Advice to Senior ManagementWeak pipe line

Overall, OK.

Training Coordinator (Former Employee)
Waukegan, IL

I worked at AbbVie as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood wages, benefits and compensation IF you are a full-time employee

ConsThey hire more contractors than employees and contractors are not treated the same as regular, permanent employees/team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that ALL managers treat their contractors with the same respect and accountability as their regular, permanent employees.

Hope your project has good leadership.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
Waukegan, IL

I have been working at AbbVie as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf your project has good leadership, it can be successful. Otherwise, you will find yourself spinning.

I am a contractor but I have heard that the employee benefits (stock options, bonuses) make up for the generally lower salaries.

ConsLots of people working inefficiently, poor communication on projects. Many employees just skate by not really trying to improve processes or step up and take responsibility.

Worked for AbbVie? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AbbVie reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AbbVie CEO Richard A. Gonzalez. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by AbbVie employees.