AbbVie

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
3.4

Richard A. Gonzalez

Pros
  • Good benefits including pension plan, work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits for the regular employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • High workloads adversely impacts work-life balance across multiple functions (in 11 reviews)

• Bonus structure is cash profit sharing when it should be performance based (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture.....on paper!

I have been working at AbbVie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and the team I work with is creative, collaborative, easy going and professional. My manager is very supportive, but he reports into senior management that is very tactical and can't see a vision if it hit them in the face.

Cons

It's probably the area I'm in but I feel like I'm living in the 70s. The technology solutions we provide are outdated and there is a general fear of technology and people's ability to adapt. Very political and uninspiring place to work. High performance is not rewarded. There are rigid rules around promotions and hiring.

Trying desperately to establish itself apart from Abbott.

Current Employee - Marketing in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at AbbVie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some nice people. Great benefits.

Cons

Very political and cliquish. Very trapped in excessive red tape and bureaucracy.

Please work on advancing the right people and on fostering an transparent environment that rewards removing the red tape.

Great Company

Current Employee - Scientist II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Scientist II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AbbVie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good benefits and compensation.

Cons

Slow in implementing changes and often leads to unhappy employees.

Overrated, due to lots of PR, in actuality a poor place to work.

Former Employee - Other in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Other in North Chicago, IL

I worked at AbbVie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food on the table? Nice air-conditioning when it is hot out. Heated offices in winter. If you like lots of junk food, it is an endless banquet fit for Duck Dynasty, but you have to eat at your desk while working.

Cons

Ethic issues? Let's start with the CEO whose resume showed degrees that didn't exist, yet still retains the position. His deception was blamed on an administrator. That is the culture in a nutshell. Upper level tries to take no responsibility and lower levels will be held accountable for everything, while being disrespected and paid a pittance. Appeared to me that the place is mad for minutia. Yes, there is complete micro-management over nothing whatsoever in a punitive atmosphere, somewhat like a penal colony. Peer pressure rules here and if you have a dissenting opinion on anything, watch out, you'd best keep it to yourself and nod your head to survive. There is hazing that goes on for years, because if you have been working for Abbott/AbbVie for less than 5 years, you are a newbie. Oh, btw, this special micromanagement treatment appeared only to be for the newbies, no one seemed to have a clue as to what the old dinosaurs were doing, taking long lunches, "working from home," palming off difficult time consuming work to any newbie they could bully, etcetera. Metrics up the kazootie. A panel of 20 needed to make a simple decision which I believe they thought made the company appear to be empowering, when really only one, or at most two, higher up opinions would ever be heard. Emperors new Clothes culture. Company has a big name. The metrics, like the reputation, appear to be all smoke and mirrors. Pay is not very good. I think it is because the company is so well known that more people apply there so the management can get away with paying diddly. Best look around and take money over overrated reputation. Complete disregard for the environment. Of course all this is all my opinion. Read the rest of the reviews and make your decision.

Learn how to manage. Lose the caste system. Address important issues and don't pretend problems don't exist. Instead of telling yourselves(and having us overhear) that you believe all your staff are useless, learn to make the best of your staff by learning how to motivate people. It would be preferable to bullying them and making them feel as if you are doing them a great favor by hiring them. True, this tactic may promote less turnover because people are so demoralized that they are afraid that they will never get another job, but it makes for an overall crappy uncreative culture that will not accomplish as much as it might with good leadership.

Marketing Project Manager

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AbbVie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Most of the people are really nice good people

Cons

No work life balance! Lots of long hours and HR is the worst!!!

overall good the company benefits and overall package is outstanding, nice place to work fast paced ver ver rewarding

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at AbbVie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the company benefits and overall package is outstanding, nice place to work fast paced ver ver rewarding and a lot por room for growth

Cons

it can some times be very stressful and hight rate of turn over, if you are not the type that like a fast paced environment you will burn out

none

Forward-thinking, challenging, and satisfying.

I have been working at AbbVie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, interesting work, and a growing company.

Cons

In the middle of a culture change. When the manager is on board with the new culture, it's an excellent place to work. If entrenched in old culture, it can be difficult to not feel held back. But I imagine this will change over time through attrition.

Great and dynamic atmosphere to work!

Former Employee - Planner in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Planner in North Chicago, IL

I worked at AbbVie as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The upper management was very supportive.
    Even if the production environment was very dynamic being a research pharma company, all the departments were very good at keeping up with the deadlines.
    Lot to learn in a short period of time.
    An ethical atmosphere as compared to other production-based companies.

Cons

The coordination between production department and Quality department is very weak.
    There are some very unnecessary and mandatory training everyone has to go through which take a good chunk of your time monthly.

The company offers a very low pay range as compared to its competitors and revenue.

My experience with the company is very good

I have been working at AbbVie as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Leadership
    Space for Growth
    Good Appreciation of Work
    Flexible

Cons

A little behind on latest technology and process

Clinical Project Manager

I worked at AbbVie as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Diversity, leadership, team work etc etc.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.