Abbott Informatics

Dave Champagne

Great Company

Current Employee - Associate Validation Analyst in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Validation Analyst in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Abbott Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity, team work, opportunities for growth, great benefits and stable career. I think this company has helped me learn a lot. In the time I have been working here I find I learn something new everyday. I love the building. Coming in to work everyday is pleasant and the location is definitely a plus. The overall work atmosphere is great. Lots of diversity and you meet people from all walks of life. Management is very good, fair and accessible. I love the product we sell too. It's rewarding to know the group works very hard and is devoted to delivering a quality product that makes labs and facilities run more efficiently. The co workers are friendly and will help with training new employees and answer any questions.

Cons

During busy times it is needed to give extra hours including weekends or working from home. But the company is very good with rewarding employees and recognizing those who put in the extra effort. In the end it's worth the extra time put in.

STARLIMS management is supportive in my tasks, tools, training, and growth.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Abbott Informatics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

An atmosphere where everyone helps each other is fostered. It is a nice place to work. STARLIMS is Abbott, who promotes good life balance. Employees get a good vacation package. We have very good benefits and health care packages that are offered as options.

Cons

Management is actively working on better planning but it is a complicated process and we are not there yet. As a result there can be peak times of activity at the end of the cycle and extra hours worked to make project deadlines.

I believe management knows the planning issues and is developing the necessary processes. My advice is keep up the open-door policies so employees to know what is going on and understand what progress is made.

Much improved since Abbott took over

Current Employee - Manager in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Abbott Informatics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are greats. Salaries are very competitive, especially for those that joined after Abbott Labs' acquisition of STARLIMS in 2010. The company now takes the quality of its products seriously and is looking to enhance performance and quality by creating a culture of excellence.

Cons

The company is going through changes including new executive team that replaced some of the original founders. It would take time for the company to go through those changes and fully embrace the work culture of Abbott, but there are exciting opportunities and changes that have started to show positive benefits to the growth for the company and its product pipeline.

Need to take care of employees that have been working for the company for many years are rewarded (there are many of them around). Some of them feel that new employees get preferred treatment.

Great Team

Current Employee - Principal QA Engineer in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Principal QA Engineer in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Abbott Informatics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The team of people working here is talented and kind. Starlims is part of Abbott now, which means the benefits are big company great. Although they are part of a big company, Starlims has a small company feel. Being part of a larger company, they are working on process improvements, which is a challenging, but rewarding project to participate in.

Cons

Change is hard, so there is some resistance to work through.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Abbott Informatics

Pros

None that I can think of unless you are an H1 visa holder

Cons

Lower than average salaries
    Lots of travel
    No bonuses
    3rd world health insurance plan
    No comp time
    Salary Emp’s work between 50 and 60 hours per week
    Manage treats emp’s like crap

When I started working for STARLIMS, about 70% of the employees that were working for the company at that time, where in the United States on H1 visas. This company has an endless supply of slave labor coming in from either Russia or Romania.

Which leads me to my next point: they treat American employees like crap because they know they can replace them with a foreigner very quickly and very easily. Employees that are on H1 visas behave themselves or else they are thrown out of the company and have about 10 days to leave the country.

Avoid this company like you would the Black Death.

Never work as contract staff

Former Contractor - Technical Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Contractor - Technical Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Abbott Informatics as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Pro?
    you learn a lot a lot, as you will need to work at least 11 hours per day to fix loads of program bugs..

Cons

As a contract staff, no bonus, no increment, limited $ of medical claim, no insurance cover, they drag employee salary to pay on 4th-7th day of the month.. and resignation will require 3 months notification!

N/A

Bad managment

Former Employee - Software Developer in Ashdod (Israel)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Ashdod (Israel)

I worked at Abbott Informatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stable. You probably will not be fired.
    Depends on project you work on.
    If you in project that Abbott needs then you will probably fly abroad sometimes

Cons

Bad work/life balance
    Bad Senior management