Abbott Labs

Updated March 1, 2015
3.4

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Promote work-life balance but sometimes performance review go the other direction (in 46 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • not that good work-life balance; not good interaction between departments (in 18 reviews)

• As a large company, innovation and creativity is stifled a bit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

107 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Overall great company to work for. Lots of bright individuals with a lot of passion for their work

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company pride and culture is overall very good. Good people who care about what they do and provide to customers.

Cons

Like all very large and complex organizations the quality of the leadership can vary. No worse than any of the others

Continue caring about employees and the employee will continue to care and grow the business.

Great experience but tough and competitive work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was intellectually stretched at Abbott and grew tremendously professionally. During my 5 years, I worked with high caliber, talented people as I advanced to different management positions in Abbott International, Global Pharmaceutical Research and US Marketing. Abbott presented a wealth of opportunities for me to perform at my peak.

Cons

The environment was very competitive due to the high level of talent among employees. Like many middle management jobs, long hours often prevailed and work-life balance was a struggle. I was low-balled with my starting salary (but I also accept responsibility for not negotiating more aggressively). My salary and bonuses grew over the years as I was promoted to different positions.

Great company benefits, but too focused on outsourcing and the bottom dollar

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

People are great, company gives you opportunities to learn. I loved my job until I was outsourced. Great Benefits

Cons

The company keeps replacing older employees with foreign workers here and in India.
    I worked there for 14 years then I was told I had 2 months to train my replacement in India.
    Then I was to be let go. This story has been repeated thousand of times in 2014. It will continue into 2015
    with the layoffs. Dr. Abbott must be rolling over in his grave, he was a great people person.

Do not leave all your people. Employees care about Abbott. Consultants are there for a time then they
    move on. Abbott will soon be nothing but a shell.

Fantastic Internship

Former Intern - Intern in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Intern - Intern in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Abbott has a wonderful company culture. I worked for great people and was given the opportunity to take on as much responsibility as I wanted in my internship.

Cons

Employees seemed to be older on average, so working for Abbott as a young person might be limited in terms of networking and relationships.

Logistically, have IT necessities ready for intern on day one so that he or she may begin contributing immediately.

Good work environment, but very corporate.

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company size afforded opportunities for growth and movement into new positions. Generally good career progression opportunities.

Cons

Pretty political and networked environment. A very relationship based culture. You will do well if you network and know the right people.

Poor performers are allowed to "hide" in this environment. Hold people accountable.

Product Manager

Former Employee - Product Manager in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is my goal to return to Abbott. I enjoyed working there.

Cons

Timing is everything. Due to unavoidable life events I had to leave.

First job out of school

Former Contractor - LAN/WAN Network Operations Technician in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Contractor - LAN/WAN Network Operations Technician in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience - was able to get my hands on a lot of technologies (load balancers, WAN accelerators, switches and routers), interacted with people around the world, treated everyone fairly the same and held them with similar responsibilities, great team, knew their stuff, certifications didn't decide who you were here unlike so other experiences I've had, plenty of opportunities, organization is growing and is currently in a weird time with the Abbott/Abbvie split

Cons

Full time contract position - was my first taste at shift work, can't say that I minded it, but it was and still is tough adjusting to shifts...mainly 3rd

Please be aware my compensation rating is that of the contracting company not Abbott!

This can be taken as a pro or con, mostly con since the defacto network vendor is Cisco, and is also more marketable, but for layer 2/3 switches the vendor is Extreme. There was a slight learning curve, but the syntax is fairly easy to adjust too.

Interacted with associate managers, although my experience was fine with them but would like to have been able to have senior managements insight or have visibility into managements decisions

I enjoyed every day working at Abbott.

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Advancements Opportunities
    Career Development
    Community leaders

Cons

Lack of Training
    Manager require more leadership training

We have a open door policy? That is questionable... I discussed concerns at the next level of management relating to concerns I experienced... even provided solutions. Next thing I knew my manager had me in his office saying I was out of line... he wanted the glory of my suggestions.

Fun Internship

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Internship was amazing, Abbott has a fantastic program!

Cons

Don't place engineering interns into a role specific to their degree

Good company, but senseless layoffs every January. Two thousand people lose their jobs every year, just like clockwork

Former Employee - Business Partner in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Business Partner in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, on-site childcare.

Cons

Just a number, when profits are down, people are cut. The company earns billions of dollars a year, literally, but there are still layoffs. How can this make sense?

Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Abbott Labs Photos