Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Reviews in Abbott Park, IL

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments(in 39 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company(in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming(in 14 reviews)

95 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Employees are short sighted regarding their career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsBeing such a large company, there are many opportunities. Management at the various divisions are open to employees moving between them.

ConsManagement seems to cycle every two years which makes it difficult to improve internal processes. Each new director wants to make changes to get noticed and set themselves up for their next career move.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutside of the quarterly employee meetings with Miles and Brian, management does not cascade communication down to employees. This lack of communication leads to disengagement.

Keep your mouth shut, and don't rock the boat.

Network (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsCo-workers were nice, at least to my face. Work/life balance seems good.

ConsAbbott employees see hesitant to question decisions by upper management. Some seem generally scared when you dare question the status quo.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employees to shake the boat a bit. Allow them to voice opinions in a safe environment without fear.

A premier pharmaceutical company in today's marketplace.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsYou are working at one of the premier pharmaceutical companies in the global marketplace. Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments.

ConsHaving an acute understanding of where the company is heading growth wise in the next five years, when products don't receive FDA approvals.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo have continued conversations on a monthly basis with all employees on overall company goals. This should also include those that are consultants that are aligned to outside vendors if those goals are being met.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How Long Will I Have A Job

Manager (Current Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsBenefits are good. Vacation and sick time. Retirement and stock retirement.

ConsNot knowing if you'll be part of the next round of lay offs. Back stabbing dishonest management. Used to be one of the best places to work within the area, now the tension in the work place is so bad you could cut it with a knife. It's a terrible feeling not having a sense of job security because a consulting firm hired by the company has basically made employees feel they have no value to the company. We're just numbers, not people.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful and honest. Management have no morals or ethics when it comes to dealing with people.

The company believed in longevity and retention.

Principal Analyst (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsGreat name recognition and global presence. Numerous opportunities for internal movement within departments. Compensation and benefits packages were on par or above market rates.

ConsCareer advancement was not always based skills and experience. Lateral movement was more prevalent than horizontal movement within specific organizations. Company politics ranked high in the corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the politics of the corporate culture and be a true example for others to follow.

Horrible

Senior Group Leader (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsGreat area to raise a family. I've recruited great scientists. Comfortable pace due to the slow bureaucratic culture

ConsIncompetent management. Very jealous talents. Care too much about keeping position rather than great science and research.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if you only care about your own promotion, power and politics, use the talents and not destroy them. In long run, u will gain cuz of it. Those who remained there did not deserve to be there.

It used to be a good place, until Miles took over.

St Manager (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsGreat benefits
    Average pay
    Good opportunities to move to a different area
    Heavy emphasis on career development

ConsBureaucracy bureaucracy, bureaucracy.
    Ridiculously long hours. Leave on time and everyone makes you feel guilty

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for Moles to move on.

Great place to work

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsSurrounded by sharp people. The management team in finance are extremely competent. This is a numbers driven company

ConsPay increases are small. Some teams have little teamwork. Can be a little cut throat at times.

You will put in loooong hours in FPA during the plan

Advice to Senior ManagementShorten the plan cycle. Streamline it.

IT

IT Support (Current Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsEnterprise, Multiple teams that are responsible for their technologies, great place to learn, relaxed environment...

ConsTo much politics, not efficient...

Advice to Senior ManagementEnvironment needs health check, and issues needs to be addressed in timely manner

I worked with incredible people, learned a lot about the business and gained exceptional knowledge in my field.

Legal Assistant (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsFantastic learning opportunities, great career building experience, great cafeterias, walking paths, work life balance in most jobs is pretty good, a lot of wonderful people, a lot of diversity and a lot of mentoring opportunities. They also have gyms and childcare facilities on site.

ConsSome of the typical big corporate cons are just that change takes a long time, there is a little bit of red tape. It may be hard to get recognized for your achievements in such a big company, it just depends on your department and management. I felt like it was taking a long time to move up in my role, the requirements for promotions were very very vague. I honestly would have stayed til retirement given different circumstances. I really can't imagine a better group of people to work with for my first corporate job.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the requirements for promotional opportunities in an objective way

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!