Abbott Labs Reviews

Reset
3.2
Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Pretty good work-life balance except during crunch time (in 46 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much time for work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• As a large company, innovation and creativity is stifled a bit (in 15 reviews)

1. Analyst

Current Contractor - Human Capital Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Contractor - Human Capital Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated very fairly in the organization, respected just like a full time employee during my contract. Trusted to do the work with minimal supervision

Cons

Organization has a lot of compartmentalization that they are working on to break down these barriers and advance team work levels

2. IT Operations Lead

Current Employee - IT Operations Lead in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - IT Operations Lead in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company allows movement within the company

Cons

Outsources employees for benefit of the company

Advice to Management

Remember your employees have a life outside of Abbott. Working Sat / Sun should be limited.

Careful...the transformation has wiped out most of the IT jobs.

Former Employee - Associate Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing benefits (3 weeks vacation, profit sharing bonus, 401k match, health/vision/dental, education subsidy up to 7,000 per year, and many more including a pension) - 3% raise or so per year

Cons

- The transformation has made everything even more of a mess than it was before - Disorganized - Promotions and pay raises are done on a very specific schedule, and it is nearly impossible to get more than a 5% raise per promotion, which can take 2-3 years as it is

5. Excellent career opportunities; lack of loyalty to employees

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Abbott provides excellent opportunities for career growth; employees can switch business units - which is like changing companies but without starting over with benefits programs, e.g., vacation time. Abbott provides industry standard benefits for all levels and good long-term benefits (e.g., retirement plans, stock-options) for better positions.

Cons

Abbott has been shrinking its US domestic manufacturing operations for the last decade. This has resulted in elimination of many US positions - many of which were filled by people who had dedicated their career to the company and were nearing retirement age.

Advice to Management

When the Abbott workforce is finally shrunken to the 'right size', be very cautious in adding additional permanent positions. Since the company has shown that it is no longer dedicated to its employees, the employees have also lost their culture of dedication to the company.

6. Great opportunity to grow your career and skill set; watch out for the self preservers that will try to derail you.

Former Employee - Director in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many promotional and cross-functional opportunities. Salary was great for the Chicagoland area. I would say in the 75 percentile in industry.

Cons

Politics galore. Management by fear while managing up like a saint. Self agendas run rampant unfortunately. Company does well in spite, so the behavior lives on.

Advice to Management

Stop the cycle....Because Miles as CEO manages you abusively doesn't mean you have to do the same down the chain. Be a leader and change the culture instead of justifying it.

7. Rewarding and frustrating at the same time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with are friendly, competent, and hard-working. The benefits package (health care, 401k) is one of the best I've ever encountered.

Cons

Overtendency to downsize and leave too few people to do the work. Very little opportunity for growth or advancement. There seems to be a caste system to how the company treats its divisions (some divisions are better treated than others).

Advice to Management

Have adequate headcount for the tasks at hand. Offer more opportunities to train for different positions within the company. Treat each division equally.

8. Overall great company to work for. Lots of bright individuals with a lot of passion for their work

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company pride and culture is overall very good. Good people who care about what they do and provide to customers.

Cons

Like all very large and complex organizations the quality of the leadership can vary. No worse than any of the others

Advice to Management

Continue caring about employees and the employee will continue to care and grow the business.

9. Purchasing management are hard and critical even though they don't know the details of the jobs. Impossible workload

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

Salary & benefits are competiitive

Cons

Management tries to manage people by fear and intimidation. Very little communication from management. Management doesn't listen to ideas from employees.

Advice to Management

Start listening to people. Good people have left because of the harsh management styles.

10. Great experience but tough and competitive work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was intellectually stretched at Abbott and grew tremendously professionally. During my 5 years, I worked with high caliber, talented people as I advanced to different management positions in Abbott International, Global Pharmaceutical Research and US Marketing. Abbott presented a wealth of opportunities for me to perform at my peak.

Cons

The environment was very competitive due to the high level of talent among employees. Like many middle management jobs, long hours often prevailed and work-life balance was a struggle. I was low-balled with my starting salary (but I also accept responsibility for not negotiating more aggressively). My salary and bonuses grew over the years as I was promoted to different positions.

Great company benefits, but too focused on outsourcing and the bottom dollar

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

People are great, company gives you opportunities to learn. I loved my job until I was outsourced. Great Benefits

Cons

The company keeps replacing older employees with foreign workers here and in India. I worked there for 14 years then I was told I had 2 months to train my replacement in India. Then I was to be let go. This story has been repeated thousand of times in 2014. It will continue into 2015 with the layoffs. Dr. Abbott must be rolling over in his grave, he was a great people person.

Advice to Management

Do not leave all your people. Employees care about Abbott. Consultants are there for a time then they move on. Abbott will soon be nothing but a shell.

RSS Feed </> Embed