Abbott Labs Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated August 1, 2014
3.4

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments (in 41 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company (in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice Mature Company

Former Employee - Science Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Science Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are generally nice across functions and departments, The company treat the interns very well in term of activities and life and lodging.

Cons

Interns generally don't get any real work or projects, it's more like the managers are creating some easy side projects or works for the interns to experience. So the interns don't learn as much as they should in an intern experience.

too many indecisive, clueless middle/senior managers/directors, they care for their bonus more than your career.

Current Employee - Quality  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Quality in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good benefits, average salary (compare to other multinational companies), couldn't think of more

Cons

- every division and even departments work in silos, people think abbott is a large multinational company but in fact it is a mere combination of silos each work on their own budgets and initiatives. It sometimes amazed me how they can actually put their acts together.
    - promotion is nearly impossible unless you are part of the old boys club or happen to fall on the statistical requirements that our CEO wants. Image is everything, but not science or innovation.
    - managers with direct reports don't know how to manage people, they are just another project manager tracking status of peoples goals and projects. Good people managers are severely lacking in this company
    - too many MBAs, even jobs on the technical/scientific track can be replaced by someone with MBA degree. That's why there hasn't been any in house discovery break through since Kaletra. Our CEO can keep shopping around, this is only a short term stop gap measure. But wait, he spun out discovery as a new company in favour of stock performance to please those wall street grease balls. I think this is the end of the Abbott legacy.

Image is not everything, take care of your good people and they will take care of the company. It was like this back then, but things have changed and everything is just metric driven and incentive driven.

A good company that might one day be great.

Current Employee - Corporate IT Grunt  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate IT Grunt in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked for many companies whose mission statement extends no further than to meet the country club dues of its owners. Abbott's mission, to provide healthcare solutions across a wide swath of medical needs, helps this employee sleep better at night. Salary is on par, and benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Having paid a steadily growing dividend forever, Abbott seems to place shareholder interests far above that of its other stakeholders, including, sorry to report, its employees who are subject to frequent bouts of corporate bulimia. Getting things done in a 125-year-old company can be tedious, especially one like Abbott that is constrained by regulators in many countries covering matters both medical and fiduciary.

No company ever shrunk to greatness.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abbott Labs, A Company in Disarray

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people at Abbott are very professional and very organized. The benefits and salaries are very competitive.

Cons

The atmosphere is very uptight and not conducive to the creation or acceptance of new ideas. Due to the recent split into two separate companies, people are on edge and afraid for their jobs. Management appears to be confused about which direction to go in.

Get your act together and decide upon a direction to head towards and do so. Stop your knee-jerk reactions on how to improve your bottom line and stop the layoffs. You are not strengthening the company. You are weakening it.

Great!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Awesome Comradierie with Management and Staff

Cons

None to report - great experience overall

None

Dir

Former Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great leadership and the products are first class

Cons

None, I enjoyed myself, contributed, learned a great deal and significantly enhanced my abilities and management / leadership qualities.

Keep it going, the stock is doing well

Good experience at internship

Former Employee - General Business Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Business Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was given a lot of responsibility. Team was small and valued my input. My manager was a mentor to me. Hours were good. Social activities planned for interns were engaging.

Cons

Lack of clarity around getting offer for full time opportunities in marketing.

Yesterday's drugs at tomorrow's prices

Former Employee - Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great group of people to work with in the field

Cons

Not sure what happened in the home office. Big time lawsuit that they didn't divulge until after accepting offer. Charges were eventually cleared and then bought by co-sponsor Takeda.

Have a plan.

Working at Abbott has been one of the most rewarding and educational experiences I have ever had, to date

Current Employee - PDP  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - PDP in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The best development programs (MDP/PDP) right out of college have to be at Abbott. You will be challenged and have to work in a different functional area that's outside your comfort zone, but that's a good thing. That's how you learn and grow!
    - The people are all wonderful to work with, and if you get the get the chance to work as a PDP/MDP, you will learn so much more about the various divisions, you will get incredible opportunities to network and you'll really learn what you like (and don't like).
    - The benefits are nice; decent 401(k) contribution, profit sharing and a pension is offered for up to 35 years of service. You can also get free Abbott (or AbbVie) drugs too, if you are prescribed them by your doctor.

Cons

- Abbott has a fair amount of sites in the Bay Area and the cost of living adjustment that is offered can honestly be a joke, depending on where you are in your career; you will definitely get less the younger and less experienced you are.
    - Networking and knowing the right people is definitely the way to get ahead in Abbott. That's not to say that a meritocracy is not in place, because there definitely is, but there's still a lot of politicking that goes on and some people may not care for that.
    - Organizationally, there are probably too many managers, directors and VPs, and that makes a lot of the lower folks resentful at time. However, those guys are all still wonderful and I personally believe that they work harder than most of the lower folks in the organization
    - Abbott is slow to change, but that's just the nature of the industry

Keep up with the development programs and create more 'alumni' involvement or networking opportunities for people as they progress through their careers. The idea of getting someone straight out of college and into those programs was to keep them for the long haul, but after 5 years or so, your former PDPs/MDPs will get scooped up by your competitors!

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Technical Support Scientist LV II  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Scientist LV II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable, accumulate benefits with years of employment, excellent benefits, good work-life balance

Cons

Large company, so not able to wear many hats

Abbott Labs Photos

High above Abott Labs in North Chicago, near lake Michigan (Photo attributed to flickr: stewie811 - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
abbott
abbott
Industrial Park

+ Add Photo

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!