Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments (in 41 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company (in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights
28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice Mature Company

Science Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are generally nice across functions and departments, The company treat the interns very well in term of activities and life and lodging.

ConsInterns generally don't get any real work or projects, it's more like the managers are creating some easy side projects or works for the interns to experience. So the interns don't learn as much as they should in an intern experience.

A good company that might one day be great.

Corporate IT Grunt (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI've worked for many companies whose mission statement extends no further than to meet the country club dues of its owners. Abbott's mission, to provide healthcare solutions across a wide swath of medical needs, helps this employee sleep better at night. Salary is on par, and benefits are outstanding.

ConsHaving paid a steadily growing dividend forever, Abbott seems to place shareholder interests far above that of its other stakeholders, including, sorry to report, its employees who are subject to frequent bouts of corporate bulimia. Getting things done in a 125-year-old company can be tedious, especially one like Abbott that is constrained by regulators in many countries covering matters both medical and fiduciary.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo company ever shrunk to greatness.

Abbott Labs, A Company in Disarray

Product Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people at Abbott are very professional and very organized. The benefits and salaries are very competitive.

ConsThe atmosphere is very uptight and not conducive to the creation or acceptance of new ideas. Due to the recent split into two separate companies, people are on edge and afraid for their jobs. Management appears to be confused about which direction to go in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and decide upon a direction to head towards and do so. Stop your knee-jerk reactions on how to improve your bottom line and stop the layoffs. You are not strengthening the company. You are weakening it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great!

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAwesome Comradierie with Management and Staff

ConsNone to report - great experience overall

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good experience at internship

General Business Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI was given a lot of responsibility. Team was small and valued my input. My manager was a mentor to me. Hours were good. Social activities planned for interns were engaging.

ConsLack of clarity around getting offer for full time opportunities in marketing.

Dir

Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat leadership and the products are first class

ConsNone, I enjoyed myself, contributed, learned a great deal and significantly enhanced my abilities and management / leadership qualities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going, the stock is doing well

Yesterday's drugs at tomorrow's prices

Sales (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat group of people to work with in the field

ConsNot sure what happened in the home office. Big time lawsuit that they didn't divulge until after accepting offer. Charges were eventually cleared and then bought by co-sponsor Takeda.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a plan.

Working at Abbott has been one of the most rewarding and educational experiences I have ever had, to date

PDP (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- The best development programs (MDP/PDP) right out of college have to be at Abbott. You will be challenged and have to work in a different functional area that's outside your comfort zone, but that's a good thing. That's how you learn and grow!
    - The people are all wonderful to work with, and if you get the get the chance to work as a PDP/MDP, you will learn so much more about the various divisions, you will get incredible opportunities to network and you'll really learn what you like (and don't like).
    - The benefits are nice; decent 401(k) contribution, profit sharing and a pension is offered for up to 35 years of service. You can also get free Abbott (or AbbVie) drugs too, if you are prescribed them by your doctor.

Cons- Abbott has a fair amount of sites in the Bay Area and the cost of living adjustment that is offered can honestly be a joke, depending on where you are in your career; you will definitely get less the younger and less experienced you are.
    - Networking and knowing the right people is definitely the way to get ahead in Abbott. That's not to say that a meritocracy is not in place, because there definitely is, but there's still a lot of politicking that goes on and some people may not care for that.
    - Organizationally, there are probably too many managers, directors and VPs, and that makes a lot of the lower folks resentful at time. However, those guys are all still wonderful and I personally believe that they work harder than most of the lower folks in the organization
    - Abbott is slow to change, but that's just the nature of the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the development programs and create more 'alumni' involvement or networking opportunities for people as they progress through their careers. The idea of getting someone straight out of college and into those programs was to keep them for the long haul, but after 5 years or so, your former PDPs/MDPs will get scooped up by your competitors!

Good company to work for

Technical Support Scientist LV II (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStable, accumulate benefits with years of employment, excellent benefits, good work-life balance

ConsLarge company, so not able to wear many hats

Never ending change

Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbbott was a great learning experience and provided a chance to try new things. They are well financed and open to new ideas.

ConsToo much change at one time leads to uncoordinated projects, delays, impacts to customers, and product quality, all of which can be avoided with proper project management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes project management is an additional overhead cost, but invest in it now and your long term costs and impacts will be minimized.

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!