Abbott Labs

Updated January 22, 2015
3.4

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Promote work-life balance but sometimes performance review go the other direction (in 46 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • not that good work-life balance; not good interaction between departments (in 18 reviews)

• As a large company, innovation and creativity is stifled a bit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not afraid to change

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Abbott is always trying to do things better and is adapting to the global marketplace
    Good benefits, including pension
    Respectful of people, is generally a good team environment
    CEO addresses employee questions
    Becoming less bureaucratic

Cons

Sometimes change is not always for the better, some changes are hurting the prospects for the future
    Pipeline of innovation could be stronger

Dedicate more focus on recruiting

Intern

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Career developments, networking, personal growth, understand business strategy

Cons

Company size sometimes makes it difficult for integrative strategic agendas.

Sales, Marketing, Sales Management, Senior Manager in-house

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for upward mobility when I was employed there except for the last 2 years during downturn of economy. Good people to work with, quality products

Cons

I really loved my time at Abbott. I had 2 managers in a 20 year career I did not enjoy working for. Both were demoted. The other leaders I worked for were great.

too many indecisive, clueless middle/senior managers/directors, they care for their bonus more than your career.

Current Employee - Quality in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Quality in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, average salary (compare to other multinational companies), couldn't think of more

Cons

- every division and even departments work in silos, people think abbott is a large multinational company but in fact it is a mere combination of silos each work on their own budgets and initiatives. It sometimes amazed me how they can actually put their acts together.
    - promotion is nearly impossible unless you are part of the old boys club or happen to fall on the statistical requirements that our CEO wants. Image is everything, but not science or innovation.
    - managers with direct reports don't know how to manage people, they are just another project manager tracking status of peoples goals and projects. Good people managers are severely lacking in this company
    - too many MBAs, even jobs on the technical/scientific track can be replaced by someone with MBA degree. That's why there hasn't been any in house discovery break through since Kaletra. Our CEO can keep shopping around, this is only a short term stop gap measure. But wait, he spun out discovery as a new company in favour of stock performance to please those wall street grease balls. I think this is the end of the Abbott legacy.

Image is not everything, take care of your good people and they will take care of the company. It was like this back then, but things have changed and everything is just metric driven and incentive driven.

Nice Mature Company

Former Employee - Science Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Science Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People are generally nice across functions and departments, The company treat the interns very well in term of activities and life and lodging.

Cons

Interns generally don't get any real work or projects, it's more like the managers are creating some easy side projects or works for the interns to experience. So the interns don't learn as much as they should in an intern experience.

A good company that might one day be great.

Current Employee - Corporate IT Grunt in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate IT Grunt in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for many companies whose mission statement extends no further than to meet the country club dues of its owners. Abbott's mission, to provide healthcare solutions across a wide swath of medical needs, helps this employee sleep better at night. Salary is on par, and benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Having paid a steadily growing dividend forever, Abbott seems to place shareholder interests far above that of its other stakeholders, including, sorry to report, its employees who are subject to frequent bouts of corporate bulimia. Getting things done in a 125-year-old company can be tedious, especially one like Abbott that is constrained by regulators in many countries covering matters both medical and fiduciary.

No company ever shrunk to greatness.

Abbott Labs, A Company in Disarray

Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people at Abbott are very professional and very organized. The benefits and salaries are very competitive.

Cons

The atmosphere is very uptight and not conducive to the creation or acceptance of new ideas. Due to the recent split into two separate companies, people are on edge and afraid for their jobs. Management appears to be confused about which direction to go in.

Get your act together and decide upon a direction to head towards and do so. Stop your knee-jerk reactions on how to improve your bottom line and stop the layoffs. You are not strengthening the company. You are weakening it.

Great!

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome Comradierie with Management and Staff

Cons

None to report - great experience overall

None

Dir

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great leadership and the products are first class

Cons

None, I enjoyed myself, contributed, learned a great deal and significantly enhanced my abilities and management / leadership qualities.

Keep it going, the stock is doing well

Good experience at internship

Former Employee - General Business Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Business Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was given a lot of responsibility. Team was small and valued my input. My manager was a mentor to me. Hours were good. Social activities planned for interns were engaging.

Cons

Lack of clarity around getting offer for full time opportunities in marketing.

Abbott Labs Photos