Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros:
  • "Positive work life balance for moms of small children"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Very competitive company to work for, excellent pay and they offer good benefits"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "Good work-life balance, good benefit, well-organized"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best Day Was the Day I Gave Notice

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you can survive this, you can excel anywhere else? Gained experience, but had to seek employment elsewhere in order to experience career growth and proper financial compensation.

ConsZero Work Life Balance, Bloated Middle Management, Out of Touch Management, Poor Compensation, Terrible Culture, No Growth Opportunities, All Take and No Give. Outdated. Obsolete Technology. Bureaucratic Red Tape. Political Games.

This company's motto may as well be, "Why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free?" I am lucky I left when I did. I was in an area of the company that was significantly high stress, especially when the split of Abbott/AbbVie was announced. Many of us had to support divestiture activities not just up to the split, but then afterwards when we were obligated to service BOTH companies for a period of two years. Essentially, we did the work for two companies (when we were already doing the jobs of three people each before this), but god forbid we get any financial compensation for it. Management never wanted to hear any real talk about how things were going. Any attempts at constructive criticism were met with blank stares or hostility. This company does not reward the employees that do the day to day work that is crucial to the company's survival. I fought for two years to get a promotion based on all the new work I was doing and skills I had learned. Former co-workers of mine have been told the company either "can't afford" to promote them or "so and so got a promotion last year so you'll just have to wait" ( a quota system?!) which is obscene especially since I know one of my former co-workers has taken on a completely different job with more responsibilities which was not the job they were hired into. (Thus the free milk and don't pay for the cow comment.) My former direct supervisor was excellent and very knowledgeable, and should have been promoted when the split happened but wasn't for political reasons. (Basically the person is not inclined to blow sunshine up peoples' rear ends.) Instead an outsider was brought in who very quickly demonstrated they were all talk. I gave the benefit of the doubt to this person for a while, and then was quickly disillusioned. This person can't do anything without first running it by my former supervisor because after a year, still doesn't know anything. Now I hear this person comes in late and leaves early and is a ghost when my old supervisor is away. Also after the split, a re-org happened and a new divisional head was assigned to whom you could not display anything but a smiling face. Again, constructive criticism and talk of how things might be improved was discouraged. Horrible favoritism as well. My group was penalized for no reason whatsoever and any thing that made work bearable (like telecommuting) was taken away. Yet the new head's favorites were allowed to continue telecommuting. Abbott is a behemoth that still actively resists change, no matter how much they talk it up. For god's sake, it took until 2013 to get off Lotus Notes and onto Outlook. Layoffs are unsurprisingly happening now, which was to be expected at some point post-split. It's yet another reason why people suffer in silence - they're afraid of losing their jobs. And don't even get me started on how this company bullies employees during the annual giving campaign to donate just so the company can get good PR. Abbott used to be a well-respected company in the area, and I grew up in the area thinking it was prestigious. After seeing how many incompetent people work there, sitting around and collecting a check, I know better. Abbott continues to act as if they don't need to pony up salary wise to attract top talent because of their brand name. Sorry, but saying "I work at Abbott" (insert jazz hands) doesn't magically make your bills disappear. With a lot of companies moving their tech and business analysts to the city to attract younger talent, I think Abbott is going to find out the hard way that their old view of employees is going to flop. I would not refer my worst enemy to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want change, you need to kick most of your middle management out the door. They are entrenched in old conservatism which is just not feasible in this day and age. My experience of middle management there has been that they are a financial money suck, accomplish little and provide horrible ROI. Maybe then you could financially compensate those grunt employees who are doing the real work that keeps the company moving. And no, $25 gift cards to a coffee chain do not count. Start doing employee surveys (anonymously!) and solicit real feedback, suck it up, and actually LISTEN to what people tell you and IMPROVE. Hire younger (or younger in outlook) and give them the authority to change things and move the company forward. Streamline your technology and get up to date (it took you until 2013 to start using Office 10?!).

Culture is management heavy, leadership lacks vision and promotion is based on nepotism.

Program Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood salary + retirement pension.

ConsDifficult to get promoted as there is limited turnover or advancement. Company culture is very pass-the-buck and unprofessional. Constant follow-up with colleagues to do their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to and have a clear vision and strategy and get rid of the old boys club mentality.

Great company with great benefits and products

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary and benefits are outstanding.

ConsVery cut throat. They want to promote good work/life balance, however, it's nearly impossible depending on what department you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees a little bit more. It shouldn't always be "be grateful you have a job". Be a little more grateful you have great employees.

Great corporation, but too much politics if you make it in to the top of the organization

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStable, reliable and good salaries,

ConsPolitically driven decision making, for positions of director and above.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they know what they must do.

Steady but very slow to change

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Barceloneta, PR

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMuch individual freedom to explore any venues of interest and development.
Diversity of job roles one can assume to further your career.

ConsPoor development program. Heavily dependant on the individual taking charge of his own development and insisting on it getting done.
Too many computer systems supposedly designed to aid one's work but end up hindering it

Advice to Senior ManagementStop perfecting the means to unknown ends by not implementing systems that add no real value to our procedures. Keep them simple.

Technical Support role

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time

ProsGreat benefits, able to rack up miles/hotel points if you travel, depending on who your manager is - you're not micromanaged.

ConsWork keeps getting piled on your plate due to someone having to meet a goal. You never can be sure if your head is on the next chopping block because someone up on the top has a great idea and wants to meet a goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee "CONS"...

Able to grow career within a growing organization.

Maintenance Group Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbbott is a diverse employer with the ability of growth.

ConsThe amount of change in operating systems can be more of a challenge than the benifit of the program.

Great well respected pharmaeutical company with a strong pipeline

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPositive work life balance for moms of small children. Very family focused

Consjust split into two companies so there are minimal speed bumps

A great place to work

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFocus on bringing in new talent. Good colleagues

ConsBecoming a new company apart from pharma has been challenging

Great company to work for.

Renal Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay and benefits are second to none

ConsRenal Care pipeline shows no promise

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abbott Labs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abbott Labs CEO Miles D. White. All 512 reviews posted anonymously by Abbott Labs employees.