Abbott Labs Reviews in North Chicago, IL

Updated August 17, 2014

3.4

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments (in 41 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company (in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Supply Chain position review - a retrospective after several years in another work force

Former Employee - Production Planner  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Production Planner in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Highly organized with policies and procedures. Organizational hierarchy is well defined. Employee performance is reviewed every year. Continued education and certification is supported with company funding and time.

Cons

Hard to make a significant change to policy and procedures due to size of company. Massive layoffs. Used to be a stable place to grow a career but with spinning off pieces of the business and sending some divisions out of the country, many good people have lost their jobs.

Micro management does prevail. Empower employees, you have some of the best.

Excellent exposure to Project Engineering

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I learned all my project engineering at abbot Labs, as leader in pharmaceutical they have provide master piece training which I am utilizing till today

Cons

very demanding position and one is always under stress to compete with ever changing requirements

Consider Human Resources as one of Assets on Balance sheet

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Documentation Specialist  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Documentation Specialist in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked with some wonderful individuals and had some great managers.

Cons

very fast paced and if your not custom to multitasking it could be quiet difficult.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting and challenging place to work; definitely would recommend

Former Employee - Intern  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The culture is friendly but professional, and I always found someone willing to advise me as the lowly intern. It seems like there is a lot of possibility for growth and development, though I was only able to stay for the summer. The compensation they provide is more than fair.

Cons

Training was a bit of a pain, though that was to be expected. Additional time off would have been nice, as well. The company does seem to get lost in striving to reach their bottom line

High level of professionalism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs for more than 10 years

Pros

Abbott has a long history of successful business culture. They have a very high level of professionalism, with very dedicated people. If you hire an ex-Abbott person, you're getting someone with a lot of valuable experience. Miles White is a very highly-rated CEO, and that plays a lot into business transactions around the world. They have successfully made the jump from an American-based company doing business internationally, to a truly global firm.

Cons

Internal IT is traditionally been several years behind the times regarding the latest technology. All around the company is good, and they know it, but that can come off as presumptuous. Inter-departmental communication is fairly rare. Because of their global outlook, they look for large global suppliers ... that's a bit of a bummer for small local suppliers.

Do more to integrate new acquisitions so they can feel the pride of being part of Abbott.

Growing pains

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Location, Insurance, Vacation time-3 weeks.

Cons

Poorly managed. To many levels.

Good benefits but terrible corporate culture. Something out of the 1950's

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits
    Good severance package
    Still has a pension not many companies offer that anymore
    Great opportunity to travel even though they have Telepresence which no one uses as many old time employees can barely use a computer.

Cons

Terrible corporate culture
    Not much progress for advancement. You probably have to wait for someone to die to be promoted.
    Employees spend more time sucking up than actual work, which is how to get promoted.

Rather than downsize the Indians get rid of the Chiefs. Too top heavy but I guess you know that but as a courtesy Sharks don't eat Sharks.

Great company great people great benefits!

Current Employee - Contract Support Analyst  in  North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Contract Support Analyst in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary Benefits Pension decent hours.

Cons

There are no cons for this company!

No Advice

Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice and friendly friendly mid westerners

Cons

Lots of red tape, too many 'collecting a pay check' type

live up to your values

Subpar IT division.

Former Employee - Global Service Desk Representative  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Global Service Desk Representative in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

None to speak of. Got paid- that's about it.

Cons

If you're in IT, you don't want to work here. Cheap contracts offered to Abbott/Abbvie preferred vendors- offer no benefits or even decent health insurance to the actual employee doing the work- and this from a 'drug company' who cares about health? Ridiculous.

Overly conservative corporate greed to the maximum offers no chance for moving up within the GIS division, even when you apply for a role you have experience in. Let alone the hassle to try to apply for a better job within the IT division once you are already working with them- you have to go through another contracting company- no internal postings.

Dysfunctional policies and more concerned with cheap labor and financial numbers than giving incentives to train and retain quality IT talent for a better future. The company obviously doesn't care about keeping people in IT, when the 30 years of service folks who retire in the next 5 years finally do leave, one can tell they will be replaced with cheap contract labor and the place will only get worse. Its a shame these Greed Over People companies are not regulated more to prevent taking away of rights of the american people and american workers.

North Chicago location getting worse by the minute, employees cars being broken into more often in evening hours. Two lots closed due to a recent break in. Couldn't afford the risk of that- had to leave. Shouldn't have to pay a $500 deductible out of my own pocket if my car is broken into on their property. Won't take the risk.

Management harasses you about smoking when you are in the designated area and on your personal break. Its your right- its harassment anti-smoking nazis. I brought this to the attention of the contracting company I was working with before leaving that dump. Never in my career had I been harassed like that before. Unacceptable and angering.

Can get better compensation, better hours, and a safer work environment elsewhere. Not to mention all the spiders running around M1 when I was there. Awful.

Worst management, staff, compensation, polices and amenities of anywhere that I have worked at in the last 15 years. Abbott/Abbvie are bottom of the barrel. Their most profitable year was this past year- yet home office of North Chicago is in a ghetto that transformed into one, on their watch. Seems they don't care about anything but money and making their investors rich at the expense of the town the conduct business in and people who do their work. Preposterous. Go figure. Two words: Corporate Greed. Stay away.

Review Matthew 6:24 and consider training and retaining good IT staff. No one wants to work for a company who's only concern is ROI that goes to some shareholder who doesn't care about the people who do the actual work.

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!