Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments (in 41 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company (in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent exposure to Project Engineering

Project Engineer (Current Employee) North Chicago, IL

ProsI learned all my project engineering at abbot Labs, as leader in pharmaceutical they have provide master piece training which I am utilizing till today

Consvery demanding position and one is always under stress to compete with ever changing requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider Human Resources as one of Assets on Balance sheet

Great way to launch a career!

ProsNeed to learn the business quickly to survive. This forces you to engage with stakeholders and earn their respect. Global presence with strong brand recognition. Slow and steady wins the race. Abbott is a legacy company with strong traditional values. Integrity is excellent. Trust Sr. Management to operate the business in prudent and pragmatic way.

ConsAlways chasing quick dollars. Afraid of taking calculated risk to get big rewards. Incremental change and not transformational. Communication from Sr. Management downward is often authoritative or non-existent. Lack of innovation. Focus instead on health care acquisition and M&A to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou only need to be successful 40% off the time to be a great hitter. Take calculated risks and break down division barriers. Operate as a single entity. Rename 'divisions' (implies separation) ... 'business component' (implies a unit of a whole).

Work life balance.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsAverage compensation. Manager flexible with time-off policies. Promote work-life balance but sometimes performance review go the other direction.

ConsNo time for training since time is fully occupied. Getting along with manager is the ultimate way to get attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing is fair.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great pay, great benefits and perks, an overall great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsPay is competitive, benefits are great, and that's expected from a healthcare company. Lately management has been transparent in regards to where the company is going, even if negative (ex. cutting costs, outsourcing, etc.). Lots of room to move around if you're an engineer or scientist. Standard daytime operating hours (M-F 8-5).

ConsSome micromanagement, typical corporate bureaucracy, occasional large-scale layoffs, lots of chiefs for so little amount of Indians.

Good place to begin a pharma sales career

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsIt has been a long time since I've worked at Abbott, but when I was recruited by the district manager the salary was about the median for a pharma rep at the time. The benefits of course were excellent. I had a territory comprising most of urban Northern Virginia and some of Washington DC, which kept me busy. A company car was provided and AMEX card, all of the trappings of an early 1990s pharma field sales job.

ConsMy district manager was very heavy handed in general-not unusual for those days, high pressure to succeed and exceed goals for my territory. Nothing I didn't expect from a Fortune 100 company manager. There was a very long, three week away-from-home training period when I first started with the company. Tests every night and again lots of pressure. If you deal with pressure well-and I did, you will be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't give advice to management.

Science

ProsEnvironment, people, weather, parking, equipment

ConsMoving, space, telephone, computer, systems

Solid company, but limited opportunity in Temecula

Middle Management (Current Employee) Temecula, CA

ProsEmployees encouraged to follow the rules and do the right thing.
    Continued profitability.
    Great environment for those are interested in working abroad.
    Very good benefits.

ConsHigh management rotation interferes with productivity.
    Managers making changes before they understand the job.
    Due to numerous lay offs, the organization is top-heavy and advancement is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is very engineering heavy. It is lacking in human management strategies. I would encourage training managers in people management skills.
    Employees can quickly move from high performer to low performer depending on management changes.

PDP

PDP (Current Employee)

ProsGood first job out of college
    Get to move all over the country and change jobs
    Great networking opportunity
    Smart people in the program

ConsWork is not very challenging
    Role is 100% dependent on assignment manager
    8-5 job that can be very slow if in a project role
    Very corporate environment
    No real training- thrown into a position and read documents

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the corporate environment
    Implement a training plan besides reading corporate documents. Have managers who want to share knowledge.
    Make employees stakeholders in projects.

Has Fallen Short

Human Resources Associate (Current Employee) Abbott Park, IL

ProsAbbott has the best CPS policy. They have given the maximum 7% for the past several years.

ConsManagement tends to stereotype people into the role that they start at the company with. You find, especially in my department, more thought is given to bring outside candidates in then looking at the talent pool that is currently there. I've seen our DVP's admin's be promoted faster than any other employee. While other's in my group work towards higher education to end up in the same role with even more student loan debt/Tuition Assistance debt. Its definitely a flawed system.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice. It will take leaving the company to move to the next step. Once I finsih my MBA (two classes away), I will take my education and experience elsewhere.

Big Pharma with good products

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood products and great benefits. Ability to move up the chain if determined.

ConsPay Scale. Has the big pharma pay to it. Not rewarded for true performance. Partnership "pods", so who knows who is getting the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementScale back sales teams. Pay for performance.

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!