Abbott Labs

Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Promote work-life balance but sometimes performance review go the other direction (in 46 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • not that good work-life balance; not good interaction between departments (in 18 reviews)

• As a large company, innovation and creativity is stifled a bit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the Same Old Abbott

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

Profit Sharing, Pension, opportunities in large company to transfer depts for new experiences.

Cons

Outsourcing IT, burn out IT employees, reducing benefits, not as much company growth since 90's and even less after AbbVie split.

Keep a skeleton base of IT at Abbott. Outsourced areas have no vested interest in Abbott and response is weeks instead of hours. Quality of IT systems is also going down. Cost savings are being negated by more system bugs and much longer project timelines to get things done. When you have to fix something 3 times to get it right, no more cost savings. Get back to valuing employees instead of short term bottom line.

Good

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the past - opportunities for growth

Cons

Currently - downsizing, lost many good people

N/A

Great company with strong roots

Former Employee - Human Resources in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, people with great skills, ability to learn about processes and to work in international teams, a lot of changes all the time and need for constant improvement.

Cons

A lot of administrative work.
    Management style of some managers.

abbott review

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good company, excellent benefits.
    company is always changing, buying selling companies/divisions.

Cons

hard to move up in positions, especially if you don't live in Chicago.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company places strong emphasis on employee happiness

Cons

Major layoff's in the past few years resulting instability

Focus on strategic planning

Great place to work

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

Excellent training and benefits, long work hours and complex selling environment, company believes in promoting from within, great culture and family oriented company

Cons

promotions require specific career track, few options for field based employees,

Abbott Labs...Good place to work

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician/Mechanic in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician/Mechanic in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Manufactures great products. In Fairfield,Ca, we produced Glucerna and Zone protein bars. At other plants, medical instruments and diagnostic devices were produced. I didn't realize how large this company was or how good the products were until I worked there. The pay was decent and if you like lots of overtime, this is the place to be.
    Good hard working individuals from the top to the bottom. (No disrespect intended)

Cons

1) The six days a week has an affect on your quality of life.
    2) Like most companies, you will start as a contractor. If your a good employee, the company may extend your contract as a contractor. This means no benefits as a permanent employee. This happened to me. While I appreciated the extension, I wanted to truly be a part of the company.
    3) As a temp, (contractor), I was on the outside looking in for the most part. I wanted to contribute to overall improvement where my voice would be heard.

Have more consideration for the employees in regards to quality of life. Hire enough good people to cover the shifts without so much overtime. Production and safety will improve when people are rested and sharp.
    Keep the good employees by truly making them a part of the team as a permanent employee.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Career developments, networking, personal growth, understand business strategy

Cons

Company size sometimes makes it difficult for integrative strategic agendas.

Fantastic Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Abbott has a wonderful company culture. I worked for great people and was given the opportunity to take on as much responsibility as I wanted in my internship.

Cons

Employees seemed to be older on average, so working for Abbott as a young person might be limited in terms of networking and relationships.

Logistically, have IT necessities ready for intern on day one so that he or she may begin contributing immediately.

Challenging work. Moving forward, yet stifled by its own quality bureaucracy that adds unnecessary expense and time.

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay. Low pay to start, but after 15-20 years here, you will be compensated competitively.

The work-life balance is good in some business segments. If you are in a division that has double-digit sales growth, the pressure is normal workplace pressure, and therefore the work-life balance is good. If you move to a division that is not meeting its numbers, expect low morale, and long hours to make up for this.

Abbott is a solid company, that has endured increasing business pressure for decades, and thrives by adapting to the changing business climate. Executive management do an outstanding job to move the company forward. They take into account all stakeholders (shareholders first, but keep employees in mind too). I respect the strategic moves the company takes.

Company claims to encourage employee development, and I strongly believe that they are trying. There are some initiatives in place to foster change. However, Abbott can be its own worst enemy, in that it gets in the way of itself, with quality system that delays ideas and adds unnecessary costs to health care.

Cons

Benefits are solid, except for health care benefits. Abbott's health plan choices are surprisingly poor. For a health care company, I was surprised to find how poor our choices were, and how little coverage Abbott provides. The health plans do provide great routine and preventative care. However, if you experience even minor non-routine medical needs, be prepared to pay a lot out of pocket.

If you are job seeker, and contemplating a job offer from Abbott, I would highly recommend doing through research into the health plans, health network (not very many choices), the weekly payroll deductions, and the out-of-pocket charges you will incur for health coverage before taking the job. While health insurance should be one of many factors in considering a job, I advise you to concentrate on this benefit with Abbott. I have been pleased with all the other Abbott benefits, but I am still surprised how little Abbott provides, when compared to other companies, across many industries. I've been pleased with my career here, but due to Abbott's poor health plan, poor network, and significant expenses due to the low coverage on the plans - I have began a job search. I find that I can no longer work for a company that provides cut-rate health insurance, with few options for its employees.

The quality management system at Abbott is crushing to development, innovation, and timely execution. Of course, everyone expects high quality products, every time - and I believe this is a must. However, the way Abbott has set up its quality system adds unnecessary time to every step of development. Be prepared to take 1 step forward, and 2 steps back when trying to come up with improvement. When trying to get approval, quality managers will simply say "No", without providing a "why" or provide feedback on how or where to improve. The quality system here seems to feed on itself, simply creating more jobs, more bureaucracy, more expense - but not improving the process in any manner. Be prepared to expect long delays, very slow changes, and lots of resistance to innovation and improvement.

The quality system simply needs to become lean. It is bloated with bureaucracy that stifles ideas, and prevents development and change. Yes, quality products and results are a must for any business to win. However, Abbott must change its quality system to become lean, efficient, and nimble. It cannot survive, if it continues to allow such largess in quality departments and quashing of new ideas and innovation.

When evaluating health care benefits, ASK your employees directly. Look for direct feedback. Don't simply "announce" the new plans and leave employees guessing why cuts are being made.

Abbott Labs Photos