Abbott Labs Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
681 reviews filtered by

Horrible and back stabbing company who does not give some people a chance based on location

Former Contractor - Assistant Chemist I
    Former Contractor - Assistant Chemist I

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

People you work in the lab are nice to be around with. Location was good. Protential of overtime was posible.

Cons

Phone interview was a day late. No communication with the recruitment company until it too late for orientation. does not give time to learn and understand the lab equipment. Was not getting a full 40 hour paycheck.

Advice to Management

Give people some time.

The working environment was very hostile and stressful, especially towards temporary (contract) employees.

Former Contractor - Records Management Specialist in Waukegan, IL
    Former Contractor - Records Management Specialist in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Found the business to be interesting and learned a lot about it.

Cons

Managers were very moody and unpredictable: very poor soft skills and managerial skills. Work performed by all team members was criticized on a daily basis. There were too many closed door meetings, arousing suspicions about staffing and other business concerns.

Advice to Management

Director should be more in touch with unit operations and behavior of managers. Managers should also be coached in importance of work/life situations and how to handle them.

My time here....

Former Contractor - Lab Tech Aide in Libertyville, IL
    Former Contractor - Lab Tech Aide in Libertyville, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor

Pros

As an employee of Abbott you get into most of the museums for free.

Cons

The department that I worked for had a very very VERY poor "training" program.

Advice to Management

Better training to incoming employees.

5. PRIVATE

I have been working at Abbott Labs (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good pay. Some nice people.

Cons

Do not care about people. You are only a number. Can cause you to lose everything you worked for.

Advice to Management

Stay up North.

Sales

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing to speak of, can't find any

Cons

Terrible boss, worst leadership. Work anywhere else.

7. No personal life if you want a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Abbott Labs (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation and Benefits are great.

Cons

Worklife balance does not exist in all areas.
    Efforts are not always valued. Very little attention to celebrating successes as attention tends to on what is not getting done and what need completed next.
    Accolades tend to come accross ingenuine.

Advice to Management

Take a culteral survey and get anonymous results categorized department. Granularity may help address some of the cultural issues. The enviornment in some areas may be good....but not everywhere.

8. Horrible

Former Employee - Senior Group Leader in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Group Leader in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great area to raise a family. I've recruited great scientists. Comfortable pace due to the slow bureaucratic culture

Cons

Incompetent management. Very jealous talents. Care too much about keeping position rather than great science and research.

Advice to Management

Even if you only care about your own promotion, power and politics, use the talents and not destroy them. In long run, u will gain cuz of it. Those who remained there did not deserve to be there.

Indecisive Micro management, Lacking leadership, No Advancement, Very Political , layoffs

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great starter job and place to see politics in action. Decent benefits. Average vacation time.

Cons

Micro managed to the hilt by people who lack leadership and management skills. Management has no idea what they want but if your in the political circle you can do no wrong even if your a poor manager.

Advice to Management

Clean house with the poor manager and non=productive people.

Who is in charge?

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irving, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irving, TX

I have been working at Abbott Labs as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They've been around for a long time.
    The cafeteria is great!

Cons

Project manager serves as SME and Instructional designer.
    Everyone looks the other way on poor performance.
    No one seems to care about quality as long as it is on time.

Advice to Management

If the wheel squeaks on every car you put it on maybe it's the wheel and not the car.

Best Day Was the Day I Gave Notice

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you can survive this, you can excel anywhere else? Gained experience, but had to seek employment elsewhere in order to experience career growth and proper financial compensation.

Cons

Zero Work Life Balance, Bloated Middle Management, Out of Touch Management, Poor Compensation, Terrible Culture, No Growth Opportunities, All Take and No Give. Outdated. Obsolete Technology. Bureaucratic Red Tape. Political Games.

This company's motto may as well be, "Why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free?" I am lucky I left when I did. I was in an area of the company that was significantly high stress, especially when the split of Abbott/AbbVie was announced. Many of us had to support divestiture activities not just up to the split, but then afterwards when we were obligated to service BOTH companies for a period of two years. Essentially, we did the work for two companies (when we were already doing the jobs of three people each before this), but god forbid we get any financial compensation for it. Management never wanted to hear any real talk about how things were going. Any attempts at constructive criticism were met with blank stares or hostility. This company does not reward the employees that do the day to day work that is crucial to the company's survival. I fought for two years to get a promotion based on all the new work I was doing and skills I had learned. Former co-workers of mine have been told the company either "can't afford" to promote them or "so and so got a promotion last year so you'll just have to wait" ( a quota system?!) which is obscene especially since I know one of my former co-workers has taken on a completely different job with more responsibilities which was not the job they were hired into. (Thus the free milk and don't pay for the cow comment.) My former direct supervisor was excellent and very knowledgeable, and should have been promoted when the split happened but wasn't for political reasons. (Basically the person is not inclined to blow sunshine up peoples' rear ends.) Instead an outsider was brought in who very quickly demonstrated they were all talk. I gave the benefit of the doubt to this person for a while, and then was quickly disillusioned. This person can't do anything without first running it by my former supervisor because after a year, still doesn't know anything. Now I hear this person comes in late and leaves early and is a ghost when my old supervisor is away. Also after the split, a re-org happened and a new divisional head was assigned to whom you could not display anything but a smiling face. Again, constructive criticism and talk of how things might be improved was discouraged. Horrible favoritism as well. My group was penalized for no reason whatsoever and any thing that made work bearable (like telecommuting) was taken away. Yet the new head's favorites were allowed to continue telecommuting. Abbott is a behemoth that still actively resists change, no matter how much they talk it up. For god's sake, it took until 2013 to get off Lotus Notes and onto Outlook. Layoffs are unsurprisingly happening now, which was to be expected at some point post-split. It's yet another reason why people suffer in silence - they're afraid of losing their jobs. And don't even get me started on how this company bullies employees during the annual giving campaign to donate just so the company can get good PR. Abbott used to be a well-respected company in the area, and I grew up in the area thinking it was prestigious. After seeing how many incompetent people work there, sitting around and collecting a check, I know better. Abbott continues to act as if they don't need to pony up salary wise to attract top talent because of their brand name. Sorry, but saying "I work at Abbott" (insert jazz hands) doesn't magically make your bills disappear. With a lot of companies moving their tech and business analysts to the city to attract younger talent, I think Abbott is going to find out the hard way that their old view of employees is going to flop. I would not refer my worst enemy to work here.

Advice to Management

If you want change, you need to kick most of your middle management out the door. They are entrenched in old conservatism which is just not feasible in this day and age. My experience of middle management there has been that they are a financial money suck, accomplish little and provide horrible ROI. Maybe then you could financially compensate those grunt employees who are doing the real work that keeps the company moving. And no, $25 gift cards to a coffee chain do not count. Start doing employee surveys (anonymously!) and solicit real feedback, suck it up, and actually LISTEN to what people tell you and IMPROVE. Hire younger (or younger in outlook) and give them the authority to change things and move the company forward. Streamline your technology and get up to date (it took you until 2013 to start using Office 10?!).

Abbott Labs Photos