Abbott Labs Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
3.4

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments (in 41 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company (in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

girls club

Former Employee - Implementation Services Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Implementation Services Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

if your female you will get hired

Cons

girls club constant backstabbing each other and downgrading men

get your crap together

Indecisive Micro management, Lacking leadership, No Advancement, Very Political , layoffs

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great starter job and place to see politics in action. Decent benefits. Average vacation time.

Cons

Micro managed to the hilt by people who lack leadership and management skills. Management has no idea what they want but if your in the political circle you can do no wrong even if your a poor manager.

Clean house with the poor manager and non=productive people.

Who is in charge?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Abbott Labs as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They've been around for a long time.
    The cafeteria is great!

Cons

Project manager serves as SME and Instructional designer.
    Everyone looks the other way on poor performance.
    No one seems to care about quality as long as it is on time.

If the wheel squeaks on every car you put it on maybe it's the wheel and not the car.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Day Was the Day I Gave Notice

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you can survive this, you can excel anywhere else? Gained experience, but had to seek employment elsewhere in order to experience career growth and proper financial compensation.

Cons

Zero Work Life Balance, Bloated Middle Management, Out of Touch Management, Poor Compensation, Terrible Culture, No Growth Opportunities, All Take and No Give. Outdated. Obsolete Technology. Bureaucratic Red Tape. Political Games.

This company's motto may as well be, "Why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free?" I am lucky I left when I did. I was in an area of the company that was significantly high stress, especially when the split of Abbott/AbbVie was announced. Many of us had to support divestiture activities not just up to the split, but then afterwards when we were obligated to service BOTH companies for a period of two years. Essentially, we did the work for two companies (when we were already doing the jobs of three people each before this), but god forbid we get any financial compensation for it. Management never wanted to hear any real talk about how things were going. Any attempts at constructive criticism were met with blank stares or hostility. This company does not reward the employees that do the day to day work that is crucial to the company's survival. I fought for two years to get a promotion based on all the new work I was doing and skills I had learned. Former co-workers of mine have been told the company either "can't afford" to promote them or "so and so got a promotion last year so you'll just have to wait" ( a quota system?!) which is obscene especially since I know one of my former co-workers has taken on a completely different job with more responsibilities which was not the job they were hired into. (Thus the free milk and don't pay for the cow comment.) My former direct supervisor was excellent and very knowledgeable, and should have been promoted when the split happened but wasn't for political reasons. (Basically the person is not inclined to blow sunshine up peoples' rear ends.) Instead an outsider was brought in who very quickly demonstrated they were all talk. I gave the benefit of the doubt to this person for a while, and then was quickly disillusioned. This person can't do anything without first running it by my former supervisor because after a year, still doesn't know anything. Now I hear this person comes in late and leaves early and is a ghost when my old supervisor is away. Also after the split, a re-org happened and a new divisional head was assigned to whom you could not display anything but a smiling face. Again, constructive criticism and talk of how things might be improved was discouraged. Horrible favoritism as well. My group was penalized for no reason whatsoever and any thing that made work bearable (like telecommuting) was taken away. Yet the new head's favorites were allowed to continue telecommuting. Abbott is a behemoth that still actively resists change, no matter how much they talk it up. For god's sake, it took until 2013 to get off Lotus Notes and onto Outlook. Layoffs are unsurprisingly happening now, which was to be expected at some point post-split. It's yet another reason why people suffer in silence - they're afraid of losing their jobs. And don't even get me started on how this company bullies employees during the annual giving campaign to donate just so the company can get good PR. Abbott used to be a well-respected company in the area, and I grew up in the area thinking it was prestigious. After seeing how many incompetent people work there, sitting around and collecting a check, I know better. Abbott continues to act as if they don't need to pony up salary wise to attract top talent because of their brand name. Sorry, but saying "I work at Abbott" (insert jazz hands) doesn't magically make your bills disappear. With a lot of companies moving their tech and business analysts to the city to attract younger talent, I think Abbott is going to find out the hard way that their old view of employees is going to flop. I would not refer my worst enemy to work here.

If you want change, you need to kick most of your middle management out the door. They are entrenched in old conservatism which is just not feasible in this day and age. My experience of middle management there has been that they are a financial money suck, accomplish little and provide horrible ROI. Maybe then you could financially compensate those grunt employees who are doing the real work that keeps the company moving. And no, $25 gift cards to a coffee chain do not count. Start doing employee surveys (anonymously!) and solicit real feedback, suck it up, and actually LISTEN to what people tell you and IMPROVE. Hire younger (or younger in outlook) and give them the authority to change things and move the company forward. Streamline your technology and get up to date (it took you until 2013 to start using Office 10?!).

Culture is management heavy, leadership lacks vision and promotion is based on nepotism.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary + retirement pension.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted as there is limited turnover or advancement. Company culture is very pass-the-buck and unprofessional. Constant follow-up with colleagues to do their job.

Commit to and have a clear vision and strategy and get rid of the old boys club mentality.

Don't stay

I worked at Abbott Labs for more than 10 years

Pros

Good for gaining some experience but I would not stay long. The benefits and pay are good compared to other industries but if you stay for a long time you will eventually be underpaid compared to your peers at other healthcare companies.

Cons

Very political culture. Had many poor managers. Was there for over 25 years and was let go because I was close to retirement age...which is a cost to them. They do not value employees being there for a long time.

Advancement people based on performance and integrity. It is all about who you know and if you are in the "club".

Subpar IT division.

Former Employee - Global Service Desk Representative  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Global Service Desk Representative in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

None to speak of. Got paid- that's about it.

Cons

If you're in IT, you don't want to work here. Cheap contracts offered to Abbott/Abbvie preferred vendors- offer no benefits or even decent health insurance to the actual employee doing the work- and this from a 'drug company' who cares about health? Ridiculous.

Overly conservative corporate greed to the maximum offers no chance for moving up within the GIS division, even when you apply for a role you have experience in. Let alone the hassle to try to apply for a better job within the IT division once you are already working with them- you have to go through another contracting company- no internal postings.

Dysfunctional policies and more concerned with cheap labor and financial numbers than giving incentives to train and retain quality IT talent for a better future. The company obviously doesn't care about keeping people in IT, when the 30 years of service folks who retire in the next 5 years finally do leave, one can tell they will be replaced with cheap contract labor and the place will only get worse. Its a shame these Greed Over People companies are not regulated more to prevent taking away of rights of the american people and american workers.

North Chicago location getting worse by the minute, employees cars being broken into more often in evening hours. Two lots closed due to a recent break in. Couldn't afford the risk of that- had to leave. Shouldn't have to pay a $500 deductible out of my own pocket if my car is broken into on their property. Won't take the risk.

Management harasses you about smoking when you are in the designated area and on your personal break. Its your right- its harassment anti-smoking nazis. I brought this to the attention of the contracting company I was working with before leaving that dump. Never in my career had I been harassed like that before. Unacceptable and angering.

Can get better compensation, better hours, and a safer work environment elsewhere. Not to mention all the spiders running around M1 when I was there. Awful.

Worst management, staff, compensation, polices and amenities of anywhere that I have worked at in the last 15 years. Abbott/Abbvie are bottom of the barrel. Their most profitable year was this past year- yet home office of North Chicago is in a ghetto that transformed into one, on their watch. Seems they don't care about anything but money and making their investors rich at the expense of the town the conduct business in and people who do their work. Preposterous. Go figure. Two words: Corporate Greed. Stay away.

Review Matthew 6:24 and consider training and retaining good IT staff. No one wants to work for a company who's only concern is ROI that goes to some shareholder who doesn't care about the people who do the actual work.

The worst company I have worked for

Former Employee - Senior Representative  in  Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Representative in Orange, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable sized territories.

Cons

Too much overtime and senseless busy work. I worked 10 to 11 hour days and always had work on the weekends. They also moved me to 5 different positions in 6 years. It interrupts client relationships and is not good business.

Create a work life balance for your employees and cut the busy work to the field force. Don't keep shuffling the deck and move your employees around so much. Interrupts relationships with the clients. More transparency with what is going on in the company.

Tech Accountant

Former Employee - Tech Accountant  in  Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Tech Accountant in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company offers good benefits -nothing special compare to some other companies; 18 day vaca, 7sick days for non exempt, 401K match, tuition reimbursement. You must work July 4th depending on the department. They have great nutritionist available for all employees.

Cons

I was part of a Consolidations group in the corporate finance and I have to say it was a very difficult group to work for. No training, no development, sucky management. If the managers like you then your life at work is great, if they don't then you have horrible experience like I did. Favorism is a huge part of management at Abbott - all across the board. Very resistant to any changes, lots of bitter old women that don't like to incorporate any changes, and ideas you have get shot down, they don't even want to listen to suggestions. Comments like "Check your stupidity" are on daily bases. The company is going thru restructuring after spin off and people are scared for their jobs. Morale is very low, no motivation, you just go there to work and that's it. You sit in the cube most of the day with very little interaction with others. My team had deadlines that would never be met because management kept extending them and during reviews they would blame analysts for not meeting deadlines. Their monthly close is 11 workdays which is extremely long. People say Abbott is a great place to work for, but I've been there for 16 months and I hated it since day one because of management. I've worked with a woman that was there for 23 years and didn't want to share knowledge and every time I asked her to explain something to me she pretended she didn't understand what I was talking about and always answered "I'm not sure, I don't know the answer to that". There are only few good divisions at Abbott that people enjoy working for like Nutrition but corporate finance is not one of them. My manager was so unprofessional and very fake which is a normality at Abbott. She would always talk badly about other employees in front of her group. You never hear "Great Job" and there is a lack of encouragement to do better. I got goals for year 2012 during my review in 2013 which was a joke. They have this "onboarding" process for new employees that doesn't exist. Manager don't take development seriously so don't count on having great reviews. They only promote their favorites.

Allow innovation and incorporate change. Allow younger generation to provide suggestions and take them seriously.

Abbott Blabs

Current Employee - Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is decent. Some really good people or as they call it "human capital."

Cons

Worst managed company I have ever worked for. Everything is for the benefit of a few in Operations and they are staffed entirely by rejects from other departments who do as they're told and question nothing. They claim to be a #1 minority employer but they only recruit female minorities to make both lists for the record. The only thing that never changes is their capacity to lie to their employees with a straight face.

Completely revamp your compensation package. Stop rewarding the same old cronies with bonuses and start listening to your employees.

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!