Abbott Labs Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
685 reviews filtered by

1. Culture is management heavy, leadership lacks vision and promotion is based on nepotism.

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary + retirement pension.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted as there is limited turnover or advancement. Company culture is very pass-the-buck and unprofessional. Constant follow-up with colleagues to do their job.

Advice to Management

Commit to and have a clear vision and strategy and get rid of the old boys club mentality.

Don't stay

I worked at Abbott Labs (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good for gaining some experience but I would not stay long. The benefits and pay are good compared to other industries but if you stay for a long time you will eventually be underpaid compared to your peers at other healthcare companies.

Cons

Very political culture. Had many poor managers. Was there for over 25 years and was let go because I was close to retirement age...which is a cost to them. They do not value employees being there for a long time.

Advice to Management

Advancement people based on performance and integrity. It is all about who you know and if you are in the "club".

Subpar IT division.

Former Contractor - Global Service Desk Representative in North Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Global Service Desk Representative in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None to speak of. Got paid- that's about it.

Cons

If you're in IT, you don't want to work here. Cheap contracts offered to Abbott/Abbvie preferred vendors- offer no benefits or even decent health insurance to the actual employee doing the work- and this from a 'drug company' who cares about health? Ridiculous.

Overly conservative corporate greed to the maximum offers no chance for moving up within the GIS division, even when you apply for a role you have experience in. Let alone the hassle to try to apply for a better job within the IT division once you are already working with them- you have to go through another contracting company- no internal postings.

Dysfunctional policies and more concerned with cheap labor and financial numbers than giving incentives to train and retain quality IT talent for a better future. The company obviously doesn't care about keeping people in IT, when the 30 years of service folks who retire in the next 5 years finally do leave, one can tell they will be replaced with cheap contract labor and the place will only get worse. Its a shame these Greed Over People companies are not regulated more to prevent taking away of rights of the american people and american workers.

North Chicago location getting worse by the minute, employees cars being broken into more often in evening hours. Two lots closed due to a recent break in. Couldn't afford the risk of that- had to leave. Shouldn't have to pay a $500 deductible out of my own pocket if my car is broken into on their property. Won't take the risk.

Management harasses you about smoking when you are in the designated area and on your personal break. Its your right- its harassment anti-smoking nazis. I brought this to the attention of the contracting company I was working with before leaving that dump. Never in my career had I been harassed like that before. Unacceptable and angering.

Can get better compensation, better hours, and a safer work environment elsewhere. Not to mention all the spiders running around M1 when I was there. Awful.

Worst management, staff, compensation, polices and amenities of anywhere that I have worked at in the last 15 years. Abbott/Abbvie are bottom of the barrel. Their most profitable year was this past year- yet home office of North Chicago is in a ghetto that transformed into one, on their watch. Seems they don't care about anything but money and making their investors rich at the expense of the town the conduct business in and people who do their work. Preposterous. Go figure. Two words: Corporate Greed. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Review Matthew 6:24 and consider training and retaining good IT staff. No one wants to work for a company who's only concern is ROI that goes to some shareholder who doesn't care about the people who do the actual work.

The worst company I have worked for

Former Employee - Senior Representative in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Representative in Orange, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable sized territories.

Cons

Too much overtime and senseless busy work. I worked 10 to 11 hour days and always had work on the weekends. They also moved me to 5 different positions in 6 years. It interrupts client relationships and is not good business.

Advice to Management

Create a work life balance for your employees and cut the busy work to the field force. Don't keep shuffling the deck and move your employees around so much. Interrupts relationships with the clients. More transparency with what is going on in the company.

6. Tech Accountant

Former Employee - Tech Accountant in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Tech Accountant in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company offers good benefits -nothing special compare to some other companies; 18 day vaca, 7sick days for non exempt, 401K match, tuition reimbursement. You must work July 4th depending on the department. They have great nutritionist available for all employees.

Cons

I was part of a Consolidations group in the corporate finance and I have to say it was a very difficult group to work for. No training, no development, sucky management. If the managers like you then your life at work is great, if they don't then you have horrible experience like I did. Favorism is a huge part of management at Abbott - all across the board. Very resistant to any changes, lots of bitter old women that don't like to incorporate any changes, and ideas you have get shot down, they don't even want to listen to suggestions. Comments like "Check your stupidity" are on daily bases. The company is going thru restructuring after spin off and people are scared for their jobs. Morale is very low, no motivation, you just go there to work and that's it. You sit in the cube most of the day with very little interaction with others. My team had deadlines that would never be met because management kept extending them and during reviews they would blame analysts for not meeting deadlines. Their monthly close is 11 workdays which is extremely long. People say Abbott is a great place to work for, but I've been there for 16 months and I hated it since day one because of management. I've worked with a woman that was there for 23 years and didn't want to share knowledge and every time I asked her to explain something to me she pretended she didn't understand what I was talking about and always answered "I'm not sure, I don't know the answer to that". There are only few good divisions at Abbott that people enjoy working for like Nutrition but corporate finance is not one of them. My manager was so unprofessional and very fake which is a normality at Abbott. She would always talk badly about other employees in front of her group. You never hear "Great Job" and there is a lack of encouragement to do better. I got goals for year 2012 during my review in 2013 which was a joke. They have this "onboarding" process for new employees that doesn't exist. Manager don't take development seriously so don't count on having great reviews. They only promote their favorites.

Advice to Management

Allow innovation and incorporate change. Allow younger generation to provide suggestions and take them seriously.

Abbott Blabs

Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Some really good people or as they call it "human capital."

Cons

Worst managed company I have ever worked for. Everything is for the benefit of a few in Operations and they are staffed entirely by rejects from other departments who do as they're told and question nothing. They claim to be a #1 minority employer but they only recruit female minorities to make both lists for the record. The only thing that never changes is their capacity to lie to their employees with a straight face.

Advice to Management

Completely revamp your compensation package. Stop rewarding the same old cronies with bonuses and start listening to your employees.

Awful Company, Complete Waste of a Summer Internship-treats interns like dirt

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay but that's about it-and they provide your housing and a rental car and you sleep in a nasty old apartment with lead paint on the walls in a bad neighborhood. We called the cops for domestic violence from our neighbors and people would bang on the first floor windows at night. I would have preferred a housing stipend and pick a place to live on my own.

Cons

Abbott tells you in the recruiting process that they will give you meaningful relevant tasks. In my experience, and the experience of other female interns, I was assigned tasks which consisted of neatly writing the same thing on hundreds of pieces of paper, filing papers, and placing papers into boxes. I am studying electrical engineering and none of this was relevant to an electrical engineer, or even an college student.

When I was unhappy with the filing I was doing and reached out to HR in Chicago-the intern coordinator and recruiter, I was basically told to suck it up because they were too lazy to switch the department I was in. This was despite the fact that an electrical engineer wanted me in his group where I would be doing meaningful work that would be relevant to my major.

Then, my manager asked me to lie on his behalf and was significantly upset when I said "I'm just going to be honest" which lead to more filing and mundane pointless and irrelevant tasks.

Every female engineering intern will be in a job that requires neat hand writing and paper filing. There is absolutely NOTHING to gain from an engineering internship with Abbott.

Female interns which are assertive will be interpreted as aggressive and will cause the intern coordinator to go on a power trip. You will turn down other offers for Abbott and completely regret it.

Accepting an engineering internship with Abbott is one of the WORST CAREER DECISION S YOU CAN MAKE.

Advice to Management

Don't pay engineering interns $22/hour to file papers-they want to learn something and contribute to the company through their education

Live in fear!

Former Contractor - Research and Development Technician in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Contractor - Research and Development Technician in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, if you aren't contracted.

Cons

- Contract-to-hire never pans out and you do the same, if not, more work than actual employees.
    - Layoffs are way too frequent

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans, we are not as disposable as you treat us.

10. Internal Auditor

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Traveling around the world was great.

Cons

Mgmt is very poor and plays favoritism.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

If You Don't Mind Leaving Massachusetts, Abbott Labs Could Be Great For You

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturer in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturer in Worcester, MA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't require education to be respected at Abbott and in fact earlier you commence career and remain with Abbott, better off you will be.

Non base pay benefits exceed many provided by other Massachusetts companies.

Cons

Worcester site:
    Tolerant of harassment including physical harassment.
    High turnover rate for Manufacturing.
    Rather than mar PR image, employee bullying prominent to reduce Manufacturing staff.
    Reduction of Manufacturing staff and overtime to show management's ability to reduce labor costs has caused a cessation in cross training outside the plant hindering career growth for those desiring to move outside the plant environment.

Advice to Management

May want to take claims of harassment more seriously.

Abbott Labs Photos