Abbott Labs

Employer Engaged

Abbott Laboratories IT

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Longer term positions, benefits, great co-workers

Cons

Currently (2014) going through layoffs, possibility of inversion

Get the business profitable via more sales instead of layoffs. Losing employees, via layoffs, with years and decades of experience is something you can't replace with offshore resources.

Pharmaceutical Sales Rep

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and pay. They treated their employees great. I only quit because I was starting my family.

Cons

As with any pharma job there is managed care issues. They do have people who work on this but it is a hassle.

I think this is a good company to work with. Very great! I like it

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It gives you space to grow as a person. Bosses are very nice. They listen to you and they guide you through the process.

Cons

A little bit too far away from my location. The campus is nice and is pretty old.

Supply Chain position review - a retrospective after several years in another work force

Former Employee - Production Planner in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Production Planner in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Highly organized with policies and procedures. Organizational hierarchy is well defined. Employee performance is reviewed every year. Continued education and certification is supported with company funding and time.

Cons

Hard to make a significant change to policy and procedures due to size of company. Massive layoffs. Used to be a stable place to grow a career but with spinning off pieces of the business and sending some divisions out of the country, many good people have lost their jobs.

Micro management does prevail. Empower employees, you have some of the best.

Good place to learn corporate culture

Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well organized Pharma Company with opportunities for growth. Large corporate culture but with room for introduction of new ideas.

Cons

As a large company, innovation and creativity is stifled a bit.

Worked 10+ years in IT. First two years were great and after that things went downhill.

Former Employee - IT Technical Specialist in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - IT Technical Specialist in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay Good Benefits, 401k, Pension Plan, vacation plan. Nice group of associates to work with.

Cons

Now they are only interested in the bottom dollar. They are outsourcing as much as possible out of the country or bringing in foreign workers. The management no longer cares about the employee's.

Care about your associates. Quit over micromanaging the employee's and blame them for not doing their jobs. 90% or more of the job duties of my direct report were done by those who report to that person. It's no wonder why IT management at this company is so poor.

Not the greatest company to build a serious career

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time

Pros

Above-average benefits. Pretty good work-life balance except during crunch time.

Cons

This is not a great company to learn management skills or to develop a career except at the highest levels. Lower and middle level managers are encouraged to maximize the raw actionable work that their reports are able to do, but not to help develop skills and careers. I have not seen a more disillusioned, discouraged, cynical set of employees who are stuck in their jobs with no opportunity to move anywhere and no opportunity to change anything. This company rewards steady work and punishes innovation at an individual level.

This is a big slow stodgy company that has acquired and built up many smaller business units who are forced to accept this style of management. Unfortunately, resources are allocated and projects are developed as if these individual business units were startup companies, leaving a culture that has the worst of both worlds: The immovableness of a corporate bureaucracy, and the impossible leanness of a startup. The benefit of being in a larger company is the amount and scope of resources available to complete projects, but because the business units are all managed separately and independently, this scope is unavailable and therefore many teams are on their own. The result is that everybody has to reinvent the wheel. What's more, managers are punished for NOT doing this. Asking questions and soliciting feedback from other groups is a sign of weakness and is actively discouraged. My recommendation for anyone who wants to have a serious career in their chosen field as either a contributor or a non-executive level manager is to do your stint, build up your 401(k) a little bit, and then leave before the culture corrupts you.

I don't know enough about upper management to make a comment. They are virtually invisible.

Sr Scientist

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time

Pros

Very diverse work environment. Great benefits and pension plan.

Cons

Not much time for work life balance. Need to change the culture.

listen to your employees

Good company, dated practices

Former Intern - IT Intern in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, compensation, and work-life balance

Cons

Corporate culture is dated and may not fit the desires of a younger crowd

Excellent exposure to Project Engineering

Current Employee - Project Engineer in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned all my project engineering at abbot Labs, as leader in pharmaceutical they have provide master piece training which I am utilizing till today

Cons

very demanding position and one is always under stress to compete with ever changing requirements

Consider Human Resources as one of Assets on Balance sheet