Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Feb 13, 2014

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments(in 41 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company(in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming(in 14 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

ok place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsGood work life balance
    Colleagues are generally nice
    Decent pay depending on where you work
    Some interesting projects occasionally, but paperwork can be burdensome to get them pushed through

ConsManagement can be awful depending on the division and has the mentality to treat people as replaceable, so there is a correspondingly low retention rate. I also don't feel as though I've gained any skills that I can market myself with in the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what you're doing, and realize you need to treat people with respect. All the good people have left or are in the process of leaving, and the thought process is still to just plug in another body. It's not a sustainable way to run an organization.

Culture is management heavy, leadership lacks vision and promotion is based on nepotism.

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood salary + retirement pension.

ConsDifficult to get promoted as there is limited turnover or advancement. Company culture is very pass-the-buck and unprofessional. Constant follow-up with colleagues to do their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to and have a clear vision and strategy and get rid of the old boys club mentality.

Satisfactory

Senior Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsGood benefits with competitive work environment.

ConsAverage compensation with tremendous work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more decisive and conducive to motivate the sub-ordinate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

HR Manager (Current Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsRewarding it is a good place to work

ConsChallenging but rewarding and the focus is on our patients

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a good job

Not a great culture to work in

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsPaid well and some depts. had great people

ConsLack of commitment to meet deadlines, lack of professional courtesies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake upper management personnel more accountable.

It was all right, nothing special

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsThe workplace overall was very nice. Nice building. Some people outside your department are very friendly.

ConsYour coworkers will eat you alive. None sensitive nor helpful. It's a dog-eat-dog environment. They'd sell you out for a quarter if it made them look good to upper management. Especially those who got promoted by walking on people's backs. Beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really. They encourage the game to be played in the first place.

I love working for Abbott

Specialty Sales Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAbbott has a long history of providing quality pharmaceuticals and medical products. I have always believed that I am selling the best product in my market, which makes it much easier to sell. Abbott takes a very conservative approach to promotion and interpretation of PHARMA guidelines. We are given a lot of training on appropriate promotion. Abbott provides some benefits that many companies don't, like a pension plan and profit sharing in addition to a 401K. When my personal circumstances have required me to move Abbott has always found me a job in my new hometown. Abbott also does a great job of keeping employees even when drugs go generic or sales forces get downsized. I don't know anyone who's actually been laid off from Abbott, they always get placed in a new position. So overall, great benefits, job security and a great products to sell. That's why I've been with Abbott so long.

ConsAbbott's technology is sometimes outdated by the time it gets rolled out to the field. Implementing new systems is slow, and some of the current systems were never any good (like OMEGA, the sample management portal). Some things that seem like simple fixes are never going to get changed because someone's pride or their entire career is entwined with a certain software program or report. Abbott is conservative with buying new data or new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep doing what you're doing to make Abbott a leader in the global pharmaceutical markets and keep our company strong.

No company is perfect...

Section Manager (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsAbbott Labs has above average benefits including medical, dental, vision, and flex spending. They offer a pension plan and 401(k) retirement plan plus company matching with no vesting period. From the 1st day of employment, all vacation days (prorated, up to 3 weeks) for that year will be given, instead of having to slowly accrue them. Additional to the compensation are the annual profit sharing and an incentive plan for the technical/upper level folks. Stock options are given for upper level folks. If relocation is required for a current employee, the relocation department takes care of all aspects of the move. There is a corporate tuition reimbursement program for relevant coursework leading to a degree/certificate, provided that a minimum grade is achieved. Most departments have enough money in the budge to send employees to various training classes. With many divisions, it is easy to transfer across departments and gain a wide array of knowledge across its many businesses.

ConsFrom my experience, managers were more interested in project goals and deadlines than the career development of their subordinates. Inspirational and sharp general managers are rare. Each division and site operate as its own company, so the company culture can be varied throughout. Typical salary is only average, and annual merit increases average 2-3%. Those percentages are set by corporate and sometimes may not take into account the typical merit increase of the local market. If hired at the low end of the pay scale, it is difficult to justify a raise to be equitably paid compared to others within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to be more aware of the obstacles facing those below them and not be afraid of elevating issues upward, instead of sugar coating problems in front of even higher management. That way, they can help allocate additional resources to those of us dealing with problems on a daily basis.

Big company with big resources

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsAbbott is a large company with lots of resources. Working in biotech you really feel like you are helping people live better lives on a daily basis. 401K matching program and health benefits were good, and vacation time was also generous.

ConsAbbott's medical device business tends to acquire a lot of companies. Integration with new companies can be a big issue. Large company is less generous with stock options, and the stock price doesn't move very much, so the stock options can only be considered a nice little "bonus" to the annual salary. Pay seemed to lag behind other medical device companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to purposefully identify and nuture talented people in the company.

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!