Abbott Labs

Updated November 4, 2014
3.5

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Promote work-life balance but sometimes performance review go the other direction (in 46 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • not that good work-life balance; not good interaction between departments (in 18 reviews)

• As a large company, innovation and creativity is stifled a bit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Abbott Labs...Good place to work

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician/Mechanic in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician/Mechanic in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Manufactures great products. In Fairfield,Ca, we produced Glucerna and Zone protein bars. At other plants, medical instruments and diagnostic devices were produced. I didn't realize how large this company was or how good the products were until I worked there. The pay was decent and if you like lots of overtime, this is the place to be.
    Good hard working individuals from the top to the bottom. (No disrespect intended)

Cons

1) The six days a week has an affect on your quality of life.
    2) Like most companies, you will start as a contractor. If your a good employee, the company may extend your contract as a contractor. This means no benefits as a permanent employee. This happened to me. While I appreciated the extension, I wanted to truly be a part of the company.
    3) As a temp, (contractor), I was on the outside looking in for the most part. I wanted to contribute to overall improvement where my voice would be heard.

Have more consideration for the employees in regards to quality of life. Hire enough good people to cover the shifts without so much overtime. Production and safety will improve when people are rested and sharp.
    Keep the good employees by truly making them a part of the team as a permanent employee.

Culture is management heavy, leadership lacks vision and promotion is based on nepotism.

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary + retirement pension.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted as there is limited turnover or advancement. Company culture is very pass-the-buck and unprofessional. Constant follow-up with colleagues to do their job.

Commit to and have a clear vision and strategy and get rid of the old boys club mentality.

ok place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Colleagues are generally nice
    Decent pay depending on where you work
    Some interesting projects occasionally, but paperwork can be burdensome to get them pushed through

Cons

Management can be awful depending on the division and has the mentality to treat people as replaceable, so there is a correspondingly low retention rate. I also don't feel as though I've gained any skills that I can market myself with in the past few years.

Learn what you're doing, and realize you need to treat people with respect. All the good people have left or are in the process of leaving, and the thought process is still to just plug in another body. It's not a sustainable way to run an organization.

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits with competitive work environment.

Cons

Average compensation with tremendous work load.

Need to be more decisive and conducive to motivate the sub-ordinate.

Awesome

Current Employee - HR Manager in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - HR Manager in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

Rewarding it is a good place to work

Cons

Challenging but rewarding and the focus is on our patients

Management does a good job

Not a great culture to work in

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

Paid well and some depts. had great people

Cons

Lack of commitment to meet deadlines, lack of professional courtesies.

Make upper management personnel more accountable.

It was all right, nothing special

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

The workplace overall was very nice. Nice building. Some people outside your department are very friendly.

Cons

Your coworkers will eat you alive. None sensitive nor helpful. It's a dog-eat-dog environment. They'd sell you out for a quarter if it made them look good to upper management. Especially those who got promoted by walking on people's backs. Beware.

None really. They encourage the game to be played in the first place.

I love working for Abbott

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

Abbott has a long history of providing quality pharmaceuticals and medical products. I have always believed that I am selling the best product in my market, which makes it much easier to sell. Abbott takes a very conservative approach to promotion and interpretation of PHARMA guidelines. We are given a lot of training on appropriate promotion. Abbott provides some benefits that many companies don't, like a pension plan and profit sharing in addition to a 401K. When my personal circumstances have required me to move Abbott has always found me a job in my new hometown. Abbott also does a great job of keeping employees even when drugs go generic or sales forces get downsized. I don't know anyone who's actually been laid off from Abbott, they always get placed in a new position. So overall, great benefits, job security and a great products to sell. That's why I've been with Abbott so long.

Cons

Abbott's technology is sometimes outdated by the time it gets rolled out to the field. Implementing new systems is slow, and some of the current systems were never any good (like OMEGA, the sample management portal). Some things that seem like simple fixes are never going to get changed because someone's pride or their entire career is entwined with a certain software program or report. Abbott is conservative with buying new data or new technology.

Please keep doing what you're doing to make Abbott a leader in the global pharmaceutical markets and keep our company strong.

No company is perfect...

Former Employee - Section Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Section Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

Abbott Labs has above average benefits including medical, dental, vision, and flex spending. They offer a pension plan and 401(k) retirement plan plus company matching with no vesting period. From the 1st day of employment, all vacation days (prorated, up to 3 weeks) for that year will be given, instead of having to slowly accrue them. Additional to the compensation are the annual profit sharing and an incentive plan for the technical/upper level folks. Stock options are given for upper level folks. If relocation is required for a current employee, the relocation department takes care of all aspects of the move. There is a corporate tuition reimbursement program for relevant coursework leading to a degree/certificate, provided that a minimum grade is achieved. Most departments have enough money in the budge to send employees to various training classes. With many divisions, it is easy to transfer across departments and gain a wide array of knowledge across its many businesses.

Cons

From my experience, managers were more interested in project goals and deadlines than the career development of their subordinates. Inspirational and sharp general managers are rare. Each division and site operate as its own company, so the company culture can be varied throughout. Typical salary is only average, and annual merit increases average 2-3%. Those percentages are set by corporate and sometimes may not take into account the typical merit increase of the local market. If hired at the low end of the pay scale, it is difficult to justify a raise to be equitably paid compared to others within the company.

Senior management needs to be more aware of the obstacles facing those below them and not be afraid of elevating issues upward, instead of sugar coating problems in front of even higher management. That way, they can help allocate additional resources to those of us dealing with problems on a daily basis.

Big company with big resources

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

Abbott is a large company with lots of resources. Working in biotech you really feel like you are helping people live better lives on a daily basis. 401K matching program and health benefits were good, and vacation time was also generous.

Cons

Abbott's medical device business tends to acquire a lot of companies. Integration with new companies can be a big issue. Large company is less generous with stock options, and the stock price doesn't move very much, so the stock options can only be considered a nice little "bonus" to the annual salary. Pay seemed to lag behind other medical device companies in the area.

Need to purposefully identify and nuture talented people in the company.

Abbott Labs Photos