Abbott Medical Optics

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Murthy Simhambhatla

One of the worst companies I've ever worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsProfit-sharing and health benefits are worthy additions coming from the acquistion by Abbott Laboratories.

ConsFavoritism and horrendous office politics are rampant and have been for many years. Opportunities for advancement are slim to none. HR keeps repeating the mantra "We advance from within before hiring from the outside" - not true. Research is virtually non-existent. Risk-adverse environment. Rather than "grow your own"...management buys people/companies with the knowledge/technology they want and lay off/fire loyal employees. People are ignored (unless you are one of the "chosen favorites") when improvements are suggested. I've seen co-workers have their integrity questioned (with full participation of HR and middle management) and, when no wrongdoing was found...no apologies were given to the employees. Insults are common. Non-professional behavior is common. Age discrimination is present. Very few get to go to trade shows. Very few get to go to outside training. Very few get to attend clinicals or interact with customers (either patients or doctors). Travel budgets have dried up. On my only clinical trip - one doctor lamented how poor of a showing AMO had with respect to its competitors. Another customer nearly threw us out because of the horrendous experience they had with the field service and support group. Capital equipment budgets have also dried up. Things are so bad that management didn't even release the results of an internal survey that was taken about a year ago. By the way - James Mazzo has not been the CEO of this company for almost 2 years - he retired and Murthy Simhambhatla is the new CEO (do a search).

Advice to Senior ManagementToss out some of the deadwood in middle and upper management. Get some progressive managers in place before your competitors completely eat your lunch.

molding lenses inspected lenses

Production Artwork Technician (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

Proscompany had moved out of USA

Consmolding the lenses, inspected and input data

complete chaos and disconnect after the acquisition at AMO Santa Ana

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsIf you are friends with co-workers / colleagues from previously acquired companies you can cruise and get by with some shred of sanity till the next gig.

ConsThe worst pay rate / salary in Southern Cal commensurate to your experience and hard work!! They apparently do not appreciate the hard work, heavy overtime and dedication employees put in. If they did they would pay salaries at the market value. If it wasn't for a good, long time friend, and manager in dire need of help, at AMO, i would not have submitted to the grueling hard and chaotic work environment for a salary equivalent to what i received fresh out of college in the 90's. To me it was a slap in the face on behalf of Abbott.

Due to the acquisition, there is a significant amount of redundant, parallel, and wasteful work energy and effort. Departments and personnel work with the dynamics of the per-acquired company mentality / methodology. There is a lack of communication and organization between departments and even within the same departments. Projects seem to meet dead ends and no upper management acknowledgment (they apparently don't see you or your urgency).
    There is a tremendous amount of literature and information (more than humanly possible to learn) strewn all about the network, divisions, and personnel (artifact of acquiring the knowledge of all the companies). Good luck if you can find the right document or even the proper person to answer your question or the needed edge to accomplish your tasks or projects. You have to do your own investigating and digging to help with your project. And even if you do find all the necessary information you will not get the guidance or educated review you need to complete your tasks. And even if you are the guru and know all the answers, you still won't be acknowledged by senior management. Lack of integration, impaired communication, and ignorance will be the demise of this acquisition. There are many start ups that have the dexterity, enthusiasm, and technological edge that will out-compete this impaired behemoth.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your work force by LISTENING and materializing their concerns with measurable and tangible progress and reciprocation. Pay them what they are worth. Don't be cheap. There are many companies out there that would love to have these hard working, knowledgeable, intelligent hard working people. Don't forget these people have been working with these products for decades and they know the product from its infancy. It's time to listen diligently to what they have to say.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on who manages you...

Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsIf you have proper management that supports your work and decisions, then you will be okay. The work is there and there never seems to be an end of things to do. You will learn new talents and skills.

ConsWork is there but, at times it seems that other aspects of the company do not communicate well so projects get cancelled or delayed. It makes you feel like you're just wasting your time with meaningless work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company is survived by the quality of your employees. If you just look out for your own agendas your company then all the talent that makes your company thrive will lose their drive and move on.

Not the best Experience

Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsEveryone is really nice and they are friendly people.

ConsThe pace is really slow. Projects often take years to complete and along the way, there is tons of documentation that is meticulously reviewed. There are ZERO opportunities for learning and growth. Management will try to keep you doing the same thing over and over if you do it right the first time. My advice is to do poorly on the projects you do not like and to do a good job on the projects you would like to be involved in. On a personal level, management kept leading me on telling me that there will be a chance for moving up on the company, by it was not true. Salary is not that great either. Projects are often mismanaged and deadlines are often missed because of the poor structure of the project activities. Overall, my experience was poor, but it depends on which area you are working. I have heard great things about other departments within AMO.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a complete restructuring of management if better results are expected. With the same people, things will continue to be average at best. Please do not hire young people to keep them down without an option to move up on the company.

Under resourced & mismanaged

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products....when you can get them to your customers.

ConsNot given the resources to do your job & be successful.

Project manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsPension
    Benefit
    Work / life balance for most of people

ConsNot customer focus
    Limited chance to move up enven you have great experience and Education
    Low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should have better long term vision; should respect people's expertise; should have better communication/ sharing.

neutral

Manager (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

Prosif you want to be busy with work, AMO is the place for you. there's no time for idling around, the day goes by pretty fast. plenty of opportunities to gain experience.

Consinadequate resources, short-staffed, fast turnover of employees, politics gets in the way of doing one's work

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your worker bees more, understand that your employees are trying to get the job done so you will have bonuses at the start of the year, so do not involve them in your politics

Very disappointing R&D in Milpitas

Manager (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsGood salary & benefits. Good job for generic ops.

ConsWeak R&D leadership on up. Insufficient competencies to do complex hardware-based medical devices with discipline & design control. Pseudo-technical manager hoards power/resources through fear to "solve" problems & gets promoted. Meanwhile, the real design issues remain. Silo'd staff needs a true team environment. Frequent re-orgs & layoffs including lower management. Subtle but powerful politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope that a deep FDA audit doesn't happen. Hire & support honest people not charlatans. Build skilled teams as the FDA mandates.

Glad I left when I did...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsGood salary
    Very good benefits
    Excellent resources through Abbott Laboratories

ConsVery politically complicated, even at non-management levels
    Executive management too comfortable with status quo to encourage real change

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to hire new executive management, the existing old guard are too busy protecting their own personal interests to do what's best for the business. Change must be top down...

Worked for Abbott Medical Optics? Contribute to the Community!