Abbott Medical Optics Reviews

1. Amazing internship Experience

Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Abbott Medical Optics

Pros

From a intern's perspective, I absolutely had an amazing time at AMO. Abbott's generous compensation really made my 12-week program enjoyable. I learned a lot and almost every staff member at the AMO site are so nice and willing to help. In addition, I was 1 hour from Los Angeles, which was also really convenient!

Cons

Sometimes I did feel I got bored rather quickly since the tasks could be done in 2-3 days. But I think most internships are like that

Great Benefits; Top Heavy; and 3rd Rate Colleges

I worked at Abbott Medical Optics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, high salary for the position and responsibility (grandfathered in from Advanced Medical Optics). Annual profit sharing is good to have.

Cons

Upper management is decent, not the greatest team in the world. Middle management comes from 3rd rate colleges, if that, and has no management skills. I work next to shared services, and I HEARD AND SEEN a manager from shared services screaming, yelling, and belittling his employees in front of fellow associates. He manages his employees through intimidation and bullying, which is fine if his employees respect him. Unfortunately, NONE of his employees respect him. His employees are wishing him retirement or a quick death...I kid you not. That's the type of management AMO currently has. You email the HR rep who is in charge of the finance department and she just ignores you. AMO has incompetent people filling spaces and wasting oxygen.

Advice to Management

Get rid of each and every single Advanced Medical Optics executive, manager, and employee. It was the old guard that brought Advanced Medical Optics down and had to eventually be sold to Abbott Labs in order to survive. Since the appointment of the new division head, all of the old executives from Advanced Medical Optics left or was let go. But they need to do the same with middle management and employees. If you want to cure yourself of cancer, you have to kill every cancer cell.

3. Great place to work. Progressive management philosophy, diverse work force at all levels.

Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Abbott Medical Optics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energetic, fast placed culture. It is highly motivating to help improve people's vision in my own small way. Strong leadership team, although somewhat light in ophthalmic industry experience.

Cons

Heavy workload. Highly competitive external environment requires entire organization to rapidly adapt and be one step ahead of competition. There's a tremendous amount of change under way, and while much of it is necessary given the environment, it could be paced and gated better.

Advice to Management

Keep shooting for market leadership. It is highly motivating to work for a company that has its sights set high and cares about doing the right thing by the patient. Resourcing is an issue in many functions - I would advise management to evaluate resource needs frequently given the extent of change.

Frustrating, if you like Equipment Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Abbott Medical Optics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and profit sharing are great, and Abbott overall (the pharmaceutical giant) is a great company. AMO is the fastest-growing division of Abbott, due to manufacture of intra-ocular lenses.

Cons

Organization and management are in constant state of flux, often political. Marketing is generally absent from equipment development. Upper management knows a lot about intra-ocular lenses and solutions but almost nothing about equipment design. Technology is outdated and equipment sales are decreasing. New product development and time-to-market are poor.

Advice to Management

Get serious about product development planning. Look at the detailed plans with your own eyes and see that they are insufficiently detailed and not maintained. Then hire experienced product development managers and planners.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Abbott Medical Optics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the people at AMO are great

Cons

Management, Human Resources, separate benefit structures for exempt and non-exempt employees. This company is way too top heavy - they need more workers and less directors

Advice to Management

stop the crazy cycle, every 2-3 years you try something different except it's not new just the same thing with different players

Avoid This Company

I worked at Abbott Medical Optics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salaries and benefits; compensation is in-line with most Fortune 500 companies; there is profit-sharing if company hits sales targets; a gym and cafeteria are conveniently on-site.

Cons

Very top-heavy upper management that is extremely isolated from the rest of the employees; Often hostile work environment; ideas that are not generated from the top are often ignored or squelched. Lots of silos within the company with little or no team cooperation.

Advice to Management

Destroy the silos and listen to your rank-and-file employees.

Disfunctional!

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Abbott Medical Optics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 500 benefits and compensation

Cons

Since the Abbott acqusition the culture of AMO has totally changed to a mean and toxic working environment. The monthly chase for numbers makes for a frenzied and disfunctional atmosphere. Sr. Management is pharmaceutical in their mentality and not engaged in a positive manner with the sales team or customers. Employees work under the shadow of never ending layoffs. Employees are expected to do twice as much without the requisite resources.

Advice to Management

Your most valuable asset is your employees. Treat them right and the business will follow. Notice how many of the super achievers have left

9. Abbott Medical Optics Review

I have been working at Abbott Medical Optics

Pros

AMO has several pros that I could point out, but there highest value in my opinion is they have some great people working there. It is a very friendly environment for the most part and you really feel like part of the team. As a contractor, couldn't have asked for a better place to work.

Cons

Unfortunately there is often office politics that pop up and a lot of finger pointing towards dead line time.

Advice to Management

Some of the managers I had were great, while others couldn't care less about there workers other than how they made the managers look.

Hell

Current Employee - Associate Medical Compliance Analyst in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Medical Compliance Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Abbott Medical Optics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Same benefits as any other big company out there. 401K

Cons

- Work week = is never around the 40 hrs more around the 70hrs! - Very poor management - don't listen to what employees say for years but pay $$$ to a Consulting Firm to identify the same problems the employees presented years ago! - Does not promote within - Director of Quality has no management experience nor step up to the challenge - A few do the work of the many and if you complaint they tell you "mind your own business". - If you discover a mistake and you report it (as it should be), you get yourself a CAPA. - With +/- 50% less people they want better outcomes for metrics and upper management review. - Document Control area is like the Hunger Games! - It has been so bad that management (VP/Director/Manager/) combination has change more than 4 times in 4 yrs! - Every month is a run against time to meet numbers ....at all cost. - The single without family work 7 days a week (sending emails on Saturdays and Sundays) and expect the ones with family to do the same. - There is a mentality of "that is not my job" or "they don't pay me enough to do that" and management allows it. - People lie in Resume, get hired, can't do the job for 2 yrs (asking questions all the time, sick, left laptop at home, "working from home", vacation, etc) and all the mess she left behind is forwarded to someone else and the expectation is to fix ASAP 'cause the are old and to keep up with her load.

Advice to Management

Advice - none. KARMA will take care.

Good life-work balance, not great for top technical talent

I worked at Abbott Medical Optics

Pros

Good for life-work balance. Overall Abbott appears to be a great company, however, the Abbott Medical Optics division values engineers who master process more than those who are technically inclined.

Cons

Division does not understand software. VP and director levels pile-on process and seem to value pushing documents more than innovative software.

Advice to Management

No vision, no understanding of software innovation. Being located in Silicon valley it may be difficult to get and retain top talent; however,technical talent and ability seems less important than to management than process management does.

RSS Feed </> Embed