Abbott Nutrition

Be The First To
Add Photos

Abbott Nutrition CEO and Chairman Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros:
  • "Continuing to develop a better work life balance for shift employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Good Benefits, with Pension and Profit Sharing"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work Life-Balance to suffer as company keeps cutting people"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management likes to promote those who plays politics, not performance"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Abbott - Contracted Position

Project Specialist (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Abbott Nutrition full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is very innovative and always expanding.

ConsThere was not a lot of hands on when I first started, meaning learning just the basics of the daily operations, HR information.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider training for new staff on the daily operations of Abbott and all the departments.

Brand Manager

I have been working at Abbott Nutrition

ProsThere are a number of reputable brands and opportunities to work on more than one of them over your career. The company is also open to cross-functional moves if you have other career interests.

ConsThe culture is driven by Finance more than Marketing so it isn't exactly a traditional CPG company. The company is also very reactionary which causes a lot of fire drills, scrambling, and long hours. Work life balance is almost non-existent.

Great company

I worked at Abbott Nutrition

ProsGood pay, good bonuses, mid-sized

ConsNo work-life balance and complete lack of collaboration and training

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to train people.

could be worse could be better

I have been working at Abbott Nutrition

Prosgood work hours and decent pay

Conslaid back...and resistant to changes

Advice to Senior Managementif you want to go global embrace diversity within

Currently not a good place to work

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abbott Nutrition full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay for the work

ConsMajor layoffs this year
No opportunities to grow, since they are not promoting internally
Low morale
A lot of politics

Company going through major reorganization with quarterly layoffs

ProsGood Benefits, with Pension and Profit Sharing

ConsNew Employees unlikely to see Pension and Profit Sharing, poor Medical Insurance for a healthcare company. Work Life-Balance to suffer as company keeps cutting people. Abbott Labs is the 4th worst company for layoffs in the Healthcare Industry

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to promote from with in and hire and promote employees who actually know the job and field they are hiring into.

Customer Service

I worked at Abbott Nutrition full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice offices, great work life balance

ConsVery political company. A lot of people are protected because of who they know and not for the job they do. A lot of slackers in sales. We were laid off and the only people that could find other jobs within Abbott were 40 yrs and under.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue all people, and don't let people who don't work hard be protected

Leadership is lacking, not accountable & there is little opportunity (unless you are highly specialized or "connected")

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abbott Nutrition full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people with whom I worked

ConsLeadership (the vast majority in my experience) is clueless (about their own divisions/departments & how they work), and most seem to only care about their own personal "next rung on the ladder" and not their current jobs, nor their people (employees & contract). They typically spend their time "leaving their mark" in a big and haphazard way, and are then onto the next thing (usually in a different state or country) within 2 years or less.
There have been 3 layoffs in the 6 years that I have been there. I have seen some of the "best of the best" being cut (it is beginning to look like Abbott is ageist; most being cut are around 50+ years old), while retaining "dead weight"; it makes NO sense at all.
Very poor communication from the top down; company, department & project-wide. Ridiculous.
Despite having multiple degrees, many years of professional work experience, excellent internal & external references, insider experience with systems, and applying for positions over 6 years, I NEVER HEARD BACK FROM HUMAN RESOURCES, NOT EVEN ONCE (ok, I know - my bad; WHY did I stay so long???!!). Have seen many talented, professional contractors come and go due to the lack of benefits or hope for a permanent position in the company. These are people who stuck around at low rates with no benefits, and still brought their skills, education, experience and excellent work ethic to Abbott, with NO recognition nor hopes of securing a permanent position. Abbott has missed out, but these people are in MUCH better places. It is a common belief (of employees) that HR is "lost in the weeds" @ this company.
Product development seems to have gone downhill; ingredients being manipulated to look like something they are not (reducing sugar by adding corn syrup??!!). I no longer trust their version of "nutrition".
This company only cares about it's stakeholders and figureheads; the worker bees are expendable, and becoming more expendable by the day.
No work-life balance for the worker bees. Some departments were staying until 9-10pm at night and working over weekends as well. Of course, their management do not participate in these extended work days, nor support their people to prevent this from being a regular occurrence.
Typical corporate politics; those willing to play politics and be completely fake can succeed. Those who think that they will get ahead by being loyal, having an excellent work ethic & working hard may be severely disappointed.
Things have changed a LOT in 6 years, and it has not been positive change here.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. The culture and morale are spiraling out of control in a very negative way across the board. It's really sad that the Ross Labs culture (which was AMAZING & did things right) has been overtaken by the Abbott Lake County culture, which has very low standards for quality and their people compared to the Ross culture. It's very sad to see the demise of what Ross Labs stood for and created, and to see the professionals that upheld those standards being cut or leaving out of disgust.
The leaders at Abbott are very out of touch with their people.

A negative experience.

Columbus, OH

I worked at Abbott Nutrition as a contractor for less than a year

Prosgood discount on products
pay is just ok
nice offices

Consmanagement has an "im up here youre down there" attitude
people are timid and afraid of their bosses
zero diversity
people I worked with showed zero personality/affect, almost acted like robots
company culture sucked

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking you are above your employees, show affect, have more female leadership and diversity in general

Stressful place to work

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abbott Nutrition full-time

ProsStrength of portfolio; strong brand recognition and good products; good benefits

ConsCulture is very bureaucratic and can often be intimidating

Worked for Abbott Nutrition? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abbott Nutrition reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abbott Nutrition CEO Miles D. White. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Abbott Nutrition employees.