Abbott Vascular

Be The First To
Add Photos

Abbott Vascular Chairman & CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros:
  • "Work/Life balance varies widely, depending on the department and manager you work for"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great benefits, pretty good organization, good relationship with FDA"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Workaholic culture- It's difficult to achieve work-life balance without feeling guilty"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Lack of integrity by the CEO and upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worked as temp for more than 3 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Vascular as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThere are many nice people here who are highly intelligent and working hard to improve the health and well being of people with heart disease. The company offers good benefits to their regular employees. They have flexible working hours and are family friendly. There are a significant number of women in management. Several of my co-workers received promotions in their job titles, though not much change in their job duties.

ConsThe company treats temps like third class citizens. I will not go into a lot of whining details about this, that is simply the summary. The people who work there treat temps with respect, which is very nice. The chance of becoming a regular employee after coming in as a temp barely exists.
They are constantly cutting costs and the facility is not well cared for - though the facilities group is great and they keep things safe.
There are changes to procedures each year, and each change adds more steps and more time required to complete each job. There are no significant changes made to improve efficiency, nor does it even seem possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe validation process is cumbersome, time consuming, and frustrating. Every step has to be redone several times per the instructions of the particular person reviewing it, and all redone again when the person from the next department reviews it. This costs the company a significant amount of money. We are talking about insignificant details for the most part, that have no actual affect on the process or equipment being validated. Improvements are not made when needed due to fear of triggering re-validation, thereby delaying the ability to do needed work for months.

Excellent work experience.

QC Inspector I (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Vascular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOne of the largest employers in the Temecula area.

ConsAdvancement not really rated on merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation for your employees and their work.

Has gotten worse every year

Clinical Research Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Vascular full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary, benefits, location, colleagues - a nice diverse group of very smart, dedicated, energetic, experienced employees.

ConsMicromanagement (olympic grade), punitive rather than positive reinforcement. Incessant deadlines (daily), constant audits, work around the clock. Abbott talks about work-life balance but it's just that - talk - with no opportunity to implement, and got worse after every layoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real with your expectations. Try more carrot, less stick. Worry less about sailing, more about your employees. Get more selective and focused about the projects and objectives - too many of both with too many distratctions (e.g.,audits, annual reviews). Restaff R&D to feed the pipeline.

My employment was very satisfying because I had the opportunity to work with a great number of professionals.

Senior Extrusion Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Vascular full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCustomer oriented, excellent work ethics, team building and adhere to the US and foreign regulations

ConsNo aggressive enough in the medical device R&D market.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance the Manufacturing and R&D capital investment to ensure the company can compete in the medical device aggressive market.

Overall positive experience working for Abbott Vascular thus far.

Senior Quality Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPersonal/professional development, good benefits package.

ConsThe organization tends to be top heavy.

Its A good company to work and learn.

Senior Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time

ProsGood company great product, Excellent training program for employees.

ConsManagement is not very friendly with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional when you deal with the employees who work under you.

Company is outsourcing jobs outside US with cheap labor/low quality. The only clear goal is raising the stock price.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Abbott Vascular for more than 5 years

ProsProvides experience in a pharmaceutical environment with complex auditng functions and numerous audits throughout the year. Fast paced and lots of work available to those who want to take it on.

ConsNo clear direction other than cost-cutting, and overburdening remaining employees. Indiscriminate cuts take away important job functions and knowledge base. Sometimes there are conflicting projects and lots of stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has lost credibility and the appearance of caring about employees. They should place some value on talent and experience and restore some decision making to those who do the work.

Quality Engineer

Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
Temecula, CA

I have been working at Abbott Vascular as a contractor for more than a year

ProsStable company that is not going anywhere. Lots of opportunity for an individual fresh out of college to gain experience in the medical device industry. Great for the resume to have such a large company listed.

ConsContractors work equally hard as full time employees but do not get even the small benefits such as the gym, and are excluded from many site wide meetings.In addition, mobility within the company has been very limited in recent years. I have been here for almost two years as an engineer and have been through 3 layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that an individuals productivity is easily enhanced with simple gestures and recognition.

Nice place to work but could be better

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice people, well managed, decent benefits but not lavish

ConsNo path for promotion, the HQ is in Chicago which is the locus of power

Great company, boss not so great!

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you know the right people you can move up quickly.

Conswas not treated fairly by direct management

Advice to Senior Managementthey know...

Worked for Abbott Vascular? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abbott Vascular reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abbott Vascular CEO Miles D. White. All 122 reviews posted anonymously by Abbott Vascular employees.