Abbott Vascular Reviews

175 reviews filtered by
2.4
Abbott Vascular Chairman & CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Many employees enjoy work-life balance, but that may not be consistent across the company (in 10 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are pretty good (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance for majority - especially the Sr Analysts supporting regional sales (in 12 reviews)

• Many and many temp employees are much more knowledgeable than the full time employees (in 6 reviews)

1. Changing Environment

Former Employee - Data Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Abbott Vascular full-time

Pros

Abbott had fantastic people working for them - extremely intelligent yet down to earth.

Cons

It was easy to get stuck in a position without upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employee when there is no opportunity for growth. They will only end up resenting you if they feel strung along.

2. A wild ride

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Abbott Vascular

Pros

Decent benefits, nice people, in the heart of Silicon Valley

Cons

Old technology and processes, questionable decisions by management in Chicago

3. Good people, bad climate

I worked at Abbott Vascular

Pros

There's politics in every company, and there was some here. Some people fastracked, others not. Overall the caliber of employees was very good, everyone knew their stuff.

Cons

Sometimes maybe too many people on a project. Cafeteria isn't the best. Currently not the best place to be as there've been a few layoffs

Advice to Management

Compensation always helps, but that alone is never enough. Overall, making the tough decision, and forcing deliverables through just so those in management can get their bonuses.

5. Nice people, technology needs updating

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone here has been very helpful, pleasant and friendly. There is no stigma about asking questions and you will usually get a very detailed explanation, which is useful. Whether it has been on the products themselves or on tools and / or processes, I have had some tremendous help.

Cons

Since I am a contractor, I was told I would be given a desktop computer. Seriously. And, I have, as many folks do, an analog phone. There is no IM or any communication tools outside of email and phone, which is analog. Very frustrating to someone who came from hi-tech. Since I am a contractor, and this position always will be, there is not a career path for me.

Advice to Management

If you upgrade the technology, the money you save by doing that, will be a least two-fold. Also, many folks have been working here as contractors for multiple years. Consider opening a few reqs, at least.

6. A reasonable place to work, but I would not necessarily recommend it to others.

I worked at Abbott Vascular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology and many great people to work with. Decent compensation and benefits packages. Part of a larger corporate entity, and this is good for someone who likes working in a large company as opposed to a start-up.

Cons

Very slow to hire and bring someone on board. Very political environment, and when I worked there, they were following many procedures and policies that were left over from the Guidant days, i.e. not particularly well integrated into/in sync with Corporate procedures, practices and policies. Lots of behind the scene management practices that felt somewhat like an "old boy network".

Advice to Management

Let go of the old Guidant mantle and strive to fall more in line with Corporate procedures, practices and policies. Most notably, change the way in which bonus allocations and percentages are determined.

7. Use you up and spit you out

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Temecula, CA

I worked at Abbott Vascular

Pros

The only pro they make a good product. As far as working there nothing

Cons

none unless you're a self-serving, egotistical engineer or above who will kiss butt and step on people to get where you want to go then you'll fit right in

Advice to Management

won't even bother coldhearted cool management cold cold cold hearted cost extremely good people away all about the money money money money money money money money money

8. Good and Diverse company

I have been working at Abbott Vascular

Pros

Company has resources. You can get into multiple development programs.

Cons

Very politicized. Difficult to advance in position if you are not well connected.

9. Off the rails!

I worked at Abbott Vascular

Pros

Convenient commute, free coffee, nice looking campus

Cons

Lack of leadership, no product pipeline, puts shareholders above customers and employees. Memorable quote from a VP: "Don't think of Abbott Vascular as a device maker, think of it as a financial institution" that pretty much gives you an idea of the mentality there

Advice to Management

Get real, hire people who care, eliminate several VP positions and hire engineering talent

Used to be the place to work for.

I worked at Abbott Vascular

Pros

Benefits and Comp are solid. Depending on the department, there might be a room to grow but very slow growth.

Cons

Bad moral for employees. Too many lay offs. a recent separation with Abbvie. Production process are being transferred to costa rica and puerto rico.

Advice to Management

Top heavy, light bottom company.

11. Great Company with lots of problems starting with management

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Abbott Vascular

Pros

Like the people and the product

Cons

Pushing for numbers. Upper management does not care about employees. Only care about themselves and their matrix.

Advice to Management

Convert more contractors. Abbott Vascular is like a training camp. You get the knowledge and quickly move on.