Abcam

Great place to work

Scientist (Current Employee)
Eugene, OR

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbcam has a grassroots policy, giving employees a real channel to voice their concerns, feedback or to give new ideas to the company

ConsA lot of re-org in some areas of the company, which can be unsettling for some.

No guidance, ineffective middle management, boring rote work

Logistics Technician (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at Abcam full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a startup, so the atmosphere is fairly low-key. Dress is minimal, people sit on big rubber stress balls, and the building is sort of renovated brick-mill chic. Upper management seems hands off and relaxed. Overall work of the company is compelling and interesting (sales of antibodies and proteins for institutional and private company life-sciences research). Overall, the company is really pretty neat, and well-run.

ConsIf you are in "logistics", you will likely either be brought in on a temporary contract basis, or you will be taken in on a "permanent" basis, and likely fired in exactly a month. I've noticed that this company takes new people for this position every few months, meaning they run right through them like tissue paper, and promptly lay them off. In other words, they lure unsuspecting college grads in biology, etc, and they have them perform incredibly uninspiring, yet overly stressful work in the lab and on their computers, all for very low pay. There is no chance for upward mobility, as you are basically an interchangeable piece of labor that happens to have a college degree in the sciences. The only 'pro' is once you leave this job, it will look fairly decent on your resume ('logistics technician' sounds great, even though in reality the work is not impressive at all).

Certain middle management types are overbearing, overstressed, and don't know at all how to guide or train their employees. Work is either incredibly rote, methodical and boring, or totally impossible to figure out. Standards and compliance are often difficult to understand, and for that reason, one may increasingly find themselves after several weeks, being told that they are "not quite working up to standards". What standards, I ask? Above all, management at that level was very unclear and totally incompetent. Logistics department was frankly a mess, with an outdated and overcomplicated computer tracking system, and totally stressed out, un-likeable managers (in fairness, only some of them).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, revise the situation in the logistics department. That is your bread and butter, as they basically handle all material coming in and out of your company's headquarters. All aspects of actual product quality, amount, and packaging move through there. Some of the middle management that is working there does not know at all what they're doing, and they take out their frustrations on the logistics technicians coming through that revolving door.

Again to be fair as well, this seems to be a well-run little company on the macro level. Sales/customer support people reported good satisfaction. Science and IT guys, similarly so. Upper management was hands off, highly intelligent, and communicative almost to a fault! I have nothing but good things to say about the company on the whole. It is really the logistics department, and at that, only some bad apple frustrated and over-stressed middling management types that like to micro-manage, but don't know how to set proper standards or even make it clear what is actually to be done/learned.

Nice culture but low pay

I have been working at Abcam full-time

ProsGreat opportunity to learn and contribute to bigger picture strategies

ConsLow salary, flat organization, little room to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation

good but could be better

I have been working at Abcam full-time

Prosgreat location, young and talented people

Constoo many meetings, too focused on copying others ideas and not creating their own

Awesome company culture, really encourage new ideas, even as an intern

Event Planning (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at Abcam as an intern for less than a year

ProsTeam meetings encourage creativity, great environment, everyone is approachable, office is well laid out and accommodating

ConsIt was sometimes hard working with people in the UK because of the time change, but this really should not even count as a con

Good place to work...but really could be a "great" place to work with a few changes.

I have been working at Abcam

ProsAbcam has a very nice environment and a lot of ambitious plans as a company. I am proud to say I work there, and when people find out I work there (if they know who we are), they know I am working for a good place. I receive good benefits (100% paid insurance!) and other perks. It's great.

ConsI don't like trying to find a place to park there, and they do not provide parking. Also, it feels like I cannot advance and get promoted, because the people managing the place have been there a long time and are not going anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job. Abcam is a good place to work, and still has a small-business feel. I enjoy my job.

Great employer, great experience

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than a year

ProsCaring attitude, does a lot to take care of staff wellbeing offering a variety of wellbing days, benefits and learning and development opportunities.

Gives staff the opportunity to take responsability early on in their career and run with it. I'd never have been able to get the experience I have got here in another company.

Friendly - we even have a social committee and staff forum

ConsThe benefits package is ok, but could improve to be a bit more competitive as could the salaries.

Great people, great company

I have been working at Abcam

ProsEveryone is very willing to give you their time, especially if you're new.
If you can justify ideas, management will listen.
Culture and work environment are valued highly. (they have a table tennis table)

ConsThings move pretty fast so the thing your working on can be forced to change or be scrapped.

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect the offices around the world better. Everyone is really interested the people who work there and the skills they have to offer.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting and not so common line of business (antibodies and protein detection tools) makes work interesting and quite varied. Very friendly and open environment. Steady company growth despite economic downturn.

ConsAverage salaries. Behind the scenes politics can occasionally complicate projects and priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemuneration could be tied to individual's rather than the whole company.

Dynamic place to work; great staff and benefits

I have been working at Abcam

ProsNumouer challenges and opportunities to grow in your role. Inernal growth supported., independence to work as you do best, support from mgmt, benefits

ConsBase pay could be higher
Workload can, at times, seem overwhelming
Office size makes it difficult for growth to exist in all departments

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with dedication to communication and transparency
Increase base salary and consider creating more senior roles in departments to help retain great staff

Worked for Abcam? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abcam reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abcam CEO Jonathan Milner. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Abcam employees.