Abebooks Reviews

3.8
Abebooks President and CEO Hannes Blum
Hannes Blum

1. Blends the best of Startup culture with big-company benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Abebooks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With a little over 100 employees in Victoria, AbeBooks feels like a small company. It's possible to know everyone in the office, and social events still involve the whole group. While Amazon does own AbeBooks, and there is clear influence on its culture, AbeBooks remains unique. In addition, having the backing of Amazon means that you have ready access to amazing amounts of talent, resources and ideas. Participating in weekly video-broadcasts with Principal engineers from Kindle, AWS, Machine-Learning, Security and all the other teams is an incredible benefit to help developers stay current. I've worked at multiple startups (both pre- and post-IPO) and AbeBooks has the best blend of startup and established culture I've seen.

Cons

On occasion, the relationship with Amazon can create legal and policy requirements that slow things down a bit. The open floor-plan of the office can be distracting. I think I am getting fat from donut-days.

2. Great company, smart people, engaging work.

Current Employee - Marketing in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Abebooks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training and career development, work with great people, nice office, good work life balance. Good communication between departments. As part of the Amazon family of companies, opportunities to collaborate with peers across the organization.

Cons

Always many competing priorities, limited choice in tools, some additional processes due to being part of a larger company.

Senior Software Developer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Abebooks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good work-life balance
    - Nice office in a quiet location of the city
    - Good perks
    - People is general is friendly, respectful and open

Cons

- You'll have to deal with a lot of legacy code
    - Things move slowly. In part due old technology

Worse and worse.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Abebooks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, nothing, zero. I couldn't think of anything is positive. Long working hours. Low productivity. Too much pressure from work, and no creativity.
    If you really want to know a Pros, it would be the free juice, tea and coffee.
    The office building location is not bad too. You may watch the ocean view at your desk. The parking space is big.
    It had been a good company before 2010. I must say it's the top 2 best company in Victoria BC before 2010.

Cons

In a colleagues lunch gathering, none of current employees or previous employees say one good thing about AbeBooks. There are too much complicated processes, and the IT management team discourages the innovation. Managers keeps changing the the organization goals, so you can not achieve your performance goal no matter how hard you strive. You just felt depressed.
    The hiring process is very strict. None of the current employee can pass the interview.
    The company changed. Even the best loyal employee started looking for a new job.

Advice to Management

Replace the management team, to get our old flexible and family culture back. Making people identify with the company goals, agree with and support them.

6. Great culture, friendly coworkers, helpful managers

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Abebooks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, creative yet relaxed culture, great pay compared to similar jobs in the region, coworkers and managers are really supportive, managers care about your development.

Cons

Most of the time I was working on myself, not necessarily a bad thing, but I would prefer more collaboration among team members.

7. AbeBooks is good employer

I have been working at Abebooks

Pros

Great environment, nice people, HR is very helpful in different way. Company has a lot of potential to grow especially merged with Amazon.

Cons

Victoria is a relatively small market, company should move to some bigger city, like Vancouver, to seek for further development.

Advice to Management

Management should be more employee-oriented. And company should tell employees their strategies of the year and plans for the future.

8. Praktikum im Online Marketing Intern in Online Marketing

Former Intern - Marketing-Spezialist in Düsseldorf (Germany)
    Former Intern - Marketing-Spezialist in Düsseldorf (Germany)

I worked at Abebooks as an intern (Less than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Sehr interessanter Job als Assistent eines Onlinemarketing-Managers im Bereich Bücher. Es gibt so viel, was man über Onlinemarketing lernen kann, vor allem, wenn man einen freundlichen und hilfsbereiten Vorgesetzten hat, so wie es bei mir der Fall war. Eine der besten Arbeitsumgebungen, die ich je hatte.

Very interesting job as online marketing manager assistant in the field of books. there is so much to learn about online marketing especially if you have a friendly and helpful supervisor as I had. One of the best work environment I've ever had.

Cons

Management ist nicht immer da, oft scheinen sie nicht an der Meinung von Praktikanten interessiert zu sein.

Management not always there, often looked not interested in interns' opinion.

Advice to Management

Wenn Sie etwas Interesse an Ihren Mitarbeitern zeigen, werden Sie es Ihnen mit viel mehr Arbeitskraft und -willen zurückzahlen.

If you show some interest in your employees they will pay you back with much more work strenght and will.

RSS Feed </> Embed