AbelsonTaylor

Dale Taylor

High intensity churn shop

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at AbelsonTaylor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll work yourself to the bone for praise and promotion, and you'll learn just how hard you can push yourself before you falter. You'll also be introduced to new technologies periodically and allowed the chance to build unique creative with a focus on perfection.

Cons

Communication between management and direct reports was only used to challenge, chastise, and placate. Promotion isn't based on how good you are at what you do, or how hard you work, but rather who you know, how well you politic, and how much you point the finger at someone else when the constantly overly compressed timelines don't agree with the amount of effort required to produce the level of perfection required.

The top level leadership has very little understanding of the technology (as is the case with most companies coming from a print background) and it has been used to the advantage of some to improperly influence judgement. If you work here in a dev role, you can absolutely expect to be thrown under the bus when things go wrong if you aren't constantly building a case against someone else. Also, once you've been labeled as a bad egg, you will never be able to recover from that regardless of how many wins you produce for the company.

Don't make hollow promises to your employees. It breeds contempt. Work on your communication between reports and managers so there's less of a slave driver mentality expectation. The software was great, the creative was great, but the management was a total soap opera.

Terrible. Beware. Stay Away.

I worked at AbelsonTaylor

Pros

Nice office. Close to public transportation. Free snacks.

Cons

Senior management have driven this business into the ground. Most of the good people have left so if you are just starting your career there is really no one to learn from. The culture is terrible. Back biting and a great deal of favoritism. If you are one of the "pets" you are in otherwise you get nowhere in the organization.

Take your heads out of the sand ..... AbelsonTaylor is no longer a hot shop. Once you stop living in the past and embracing the mistakes you made you will never change and the company will continue to falter.

Great place to start, and that's about it

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AbelsonTaylor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When you first start, you can really prove your worth and advance quickly. If you choose to embrace your work, you can find some great mentors and meet some very smart, creative people that are willing and happy to teach you about the industry.

Cons

While it's a great place to learn in the beginning, you can hit your ceiling very fast and there's nothing you can do about it. This place can get too riddled down by process--even if you show interest or very solid ability, you can only do certain things on certain timelines because "that's the process." If you're a self-starter, you can quickly begin to feel very boxed in by your position; no matter how much you show initiative or how well you execute tactics, it can often go unrewarded. Also, the pay is terrible.

Don't let your employees feel stagnant. If they voice concerns, listen to them. You will lose good account people if you don't start reacting. Employees would rather their positive contributions and good work be noticed and compensated than get "good snacks" and "birthday days off."

Not a bad place to work, but not a good one

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AbelsonTaylor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, casual atmosphere

Cons

Underpaid, old-fashioned culture, employee morale is bad

Integrate your teams better

Abelson Taylor

I worked at AbelsonTaylor full-time

Pros

The benefits package is all right, particularly regarding variety of offerings (e.g. long term care, wellness fair, etc.). Although good coverage, the health care plan premiums are a bit high. Nice office space overall.

Cons

Professional growth can be limited, depending on which department you are in. In my experience, salaries are average to slightly below average.

Potential Traffic Coordinator? Stay Away!

Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at AbelsonTaylor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young environment, free snacks, downtown location

Cons

Have you noticed how the free snacks is a reoccurring theme? That's probably because that's the only positive thing about working at this company as a traffic coordinator. This role requires long hours for very, very little pay. I know you're a recent grad kid, but a base pay of less than 30K? Trust me, even your frightened, if-I-don't-take-this-I'm-gonna-be-sleeping-in-mom-and-dad's-basement self can do better than that. In terms of hours, think 8 AM to 8 PM or later. But, worst of all, the actual position is absolutely mind-numbing. Unless your goal is to work your way up to the AE position, working here is not even worth it as a resume builder because this position doesn't even allow you to gain any valuable skills. Don't let the recruiter fool you, this position is nothing more than an in-house mailman position. Expect to be transporting documents from one cubicle to another all day long. After about day 3, you can expect to be thinking "what am I doing here" on repeat as you literally pickup a document from 1104, walk 10 feet, and drop it off at 1106. Additionally, don't ever expect to have an actual lunch break here. Or even be able to step out of the office to just pick up lunch for that matter. Once you're on the clock, you're essentially on call until you leave. Again, why do you think they provide you with so many snacks? Lastly, unless you're passionate about pharmaceutical sales/advertising, even more reason to not work here. In a word, pharmaceutical advertising is BORING. Forget creative - this is all about finding ways to shrink down the print so that warnings such as diarrhea, constipation, sore throat, and depression aren't visible to the average eye. Trust me on this one, as dramatic and over the top as this review may sound, just do yourself a favor and go work for an agency that knows what they're doing.

This company has potential, but not without any form of training

Former Employee - Traffic
    Former Employee - Traffic

I worked at AbelsonTaylor full-time

Pros

Good benefits and free snacks/beverages. The creative team is very talented, but under-valued. In general, most employees are welcoming and kind. OT is offered in lower level positions to compensate for long hours.

Cons

There is no formal training what-so-ever for the account side. Traffic is easily an internship level position, filled with smart, over-qualified college grads. There seems to be no real formula to promotions. Depending on your brands/accounts the hours can be very long and unpredictable. A lunch break is hard to come by without returning to multiple voice mails and emails from team members who expect you to be accessible for 9 hours straight. The digital process is antiquated, as mentioned by other reviewers.

There has to be some training provided on the account side if the intent is to minimize turn-over and build a successful team of people who work well together.

Good place to start out, but definitely not to grow.

I worked at AbelsonTaylor

Pros

Made some great friends and had some good laughs. The snacks were always a perk, as well as Friday lunches.

Cons

The work-life balance is absolutely terrible. There is also the feeling of 'what is the point to this job?' quite often. Unless someone has an incredible love for moody clients and endless financial spreadsheets, this is not the best place for you.

Start creating a better culture in order to lessen the very high turn over rate.

Backstabbing, unprofessional, ego maniacal, management.

Former Employee - Talented Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Talented Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AbelsonTaylor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You make a lot of friends and connections that will be helpful when you leave.

Cons

Disorganized, mismanaged, sweat shop atmosphere that the owner claimed it would never become. Be careful not to be rewarded for hard work and loyal service - they'll just use it as a reason to get rid of you and find lesser skilled people to work for half as much. Thanks Dale!

Stop dumping talented, loyal people to save a buck. Your work will suffer as much as your reputation.

Creative, Good Culture, Some Digital Growing Pains

Current Employee - Account Supervisor
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor

I have been working at AbelsonTaylor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AbelsonTaylor has great health benefits, and the environment is very laid-back, creative and engaging. I personally have great work/life balance, and I do what I can to ensure my team has that as well. I enjoy going to work (on most days) and the work I do is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

There have been some growing pains as we better transition towards serving more digital projects and clients. While there have been lay-offs, much of that was staff that was struggling to adapt to digital projects and could not move beyond print.

There are some flaws in the traffic/routing process for digital work. It still blows my mind that we print and route websites for feedback, when we could all look at the testing link and provide feedback in a much more efficient manner.

Look at updating process, especially on the digital side, to reduce inefficiencies.