Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 2,035 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

(1,126 ratings)

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart(in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back(in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage(in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in(in 69 reviews)

2,035 Employee Reviews

Just awful.

Sales Associate (Model) (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt's easy. I could do the work if I was sleeping.

ConsNo opportunity to advance.

How they allocate raises is an equal opportunity employment lawsuit waiting to happen- they only give raises to those on the cast (which is the 'most attractive' people employed in the store) and it's to one girl and one boy, once a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. Even though your employees have a high turnover rate, start acting like they're not expendable.

Very annoying

Impact Team Member (Former Employee) Daytona Beach, FL

ProsThe discount. That is probably the only good thing about working there.

ConsThere is no communication from corporate. If you came up with a way the company could do something better but there is no way to say hey lets do it like this. Some policies are redundant and do not work for every store. Technically you do not have to buy their clothes but you need the same style without any logos and honestly where are you going to find that.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feedback from current employees on what works and doesn't work. Not just from a flagship store.

Impact position/stock associate

Impact Team Member (Former Employee) Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

Pros- co-workers are outgoing
    - get to stay in the back and listen to music that isn't the repetitive music on the sales floor

Cons- lack of hours
    - managers are biased in giving shifts (they play favorites)
    - unprofessional; even if you book time off in advance, they may still schedule you during the time you booked off
    - under constant pressure to perform on time as a impact worker

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Discourages Individuality, Closed Minded / Micromanaged, Poor Work-Life Balance

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNever the same experience day to day. Can be a fun, laid-back work environment due to co-workers.

ConsRetail is retail, so you will have to deal with angry customers, but the company is NOT customer service oriented so you will get placed in awkward situations with customers more than you should. You don't have much leeway or tools at your disposal to help them out. Company has a ton of absurd rules and managers are micro-managed and in turn expected to micro-manage their employees. It can be soul crushing and reduces productivity when these issues are focused on more than the true threats to the company's success. Company atmosphere as a whole is poor. Employees feel undervalued and abused.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let poor managers continue to work here out of desperation when you are short staffed. Focus more on addressing poor management style instead of micromanaging small details about employee dress code. Encourage individuality and creativity instead of stifling it.

Not a great company to work for

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsThe only thing I liked about working there was the discounts. Managers get up to 40% off. Clothes are beautiful; a bit over priced though

ConsThe music is super loud for starters and the smell of Fierce gives anyone a headache. Even though they won't admit it the company is racist and unfair. I was an assistant manager so the wage and benefits were good but for part-timers it was horrible. The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage. If that wasn't enough they HAD to buy new clothes every season which was too much money even after their discount. Most on my employees were struggling students who needed extra cash for their expenses but with 8 hours a week this job was no good.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo fake. All of management above us tried to keep this "cool, young image" which was a bunch of BS. The district manager for example was a total jerk. He would make us managers feels horrible by judging our appearance and image. All of us managers (women) were a 00 in size. I would feel fat besides the fact that I was only weighing 96lbs. One manager went from a size 7 to a 00. Another felt ugly because he would constantly tell her to wear make-up and straighten her hair. They say that A&F is all about natural beauty but honestly they would mold us like putty to their liking. Being 96lbs and over-worked (I was declined my vacay time 3 times) I had to quit due to health issues. I had to wear a heart monitor for a month due to stress; their main concern was, no my health, but me not being dressed properly since I had wires coming out of my chest.

Bad treatment

Impact Team Member (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSimilar Interest employees, very little is good about this company and its functions... really bad

ConsPerfume bombardment, managers are only a year older than you but think they're so much better and insist on putting you down for no reason, shaving mandatory before EACH SHIFT even if you work two shifts on the same day (BS), TERRIBLE PAY, bad hours

Advice to Senior Managementplease consider school schedules

It's all politics and empty promises

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlip flops and jeans to work
    Promotions can happen quickly
    Fun people to work with

ConsSkewed way of thinking
    Low low pay
    Hire for looks vs talent

Advice to Senior ManagementRead a business article every once in awhile. Also, pay your people more

its ok

Sales Associate (Model) (Current Employee) Aventura, FL

Prosyou get to meet alot of people from all over the world

ConsYou barely get any hours, pay rate low

Advice to Senior Managementbe a great opportunity to meet people

If you're stuck

ProsThey hire quickly, more or less relaxed environment.

ConsLack of structure, terrible pay, racist

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay to retain employees

Not an enjoyable experience.

Impact Member (Current Employee) Garden City, NY

ProsGood for a part time job as a teen or college student. Worked at abercrombie kids at their most profitable store. You get 30-50 percent off store merchandise.

ConsTedious work for minimum wage. A lot of strict rules regarding appearance. You have to work hard to get more shifts since managers are the ones that assign shifts. 50-50 chance of getting good managers. CEO is terrible. You are sort of forced to buy and wear their clothes, even though they say you are not obligated. The clothes don't look good and are overpriced. BLACK FRIDAY.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so strict and be friendlier to your employees.

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!