Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 2,026 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

(1,121 ratings)

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart(in 43 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back(in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage(in 231 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in(in 68 reviews)

2,026 Employee Reviews

Not a great work ethic

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's casual, co-workers are fun

ConsThe people are severely complexed - the managers seem to think they belong on international runways. They don't make you feel welcome if you're different - it's definitely not a place for equal opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you think you're good enough to be a model, you probably wouldn't be in a retail job....

1-10 how hot are you?

Model/Impacter (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

Prosits a great part time job. its so easy anyone could do it. you aren't required to do much or know much

Consthe management sucks, the company gives one pay raise a year for one employee a year, you only get hours if you're hot (i got 40 hours a week and thought it wasn't fair, so no I'm not just bitter because i didn't get hours)

Advice to Senior Managementhire someone who isn't a perv.

A&F

Sales, Visual/Brand Senses (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible schedule, flexible schedule, flexible schedule, flexible schedule

ConsEverything else, everything else, everything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much to write, so little time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Condescending workplace where your opinions don't matter

Assistant Merchant (Former Employee) New Albany, OH

Prosdress code
    campus
    pay was high, too high for a starting position out of college with no experience, and then they lay people off left and right, maybe because they cant afford to pay everyone that much!

Conseverything else
    they don't like to hear new ideas, just ideas from themselves even though they are continually failing

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to new ideas

Assistant Manager

ProsYou meet great people around the same age.

ConsUnrealistic work load with little support. Unrealistic expectations are set from higher management who have not worked in stores for years. Low wages for the value of work expected. Hard to advance to higher career levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less strict and encourage the development of managers independently to create new visionaries. Be more truthful with staff and set realistic expectations. Provide more support within the store to help enhance customer experience.

Terrible

Abercrombie and Fitch Model (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsFun environment and fairly fast paced.

ConsManagers that were not very competent at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off... Its supposed to be a fun place to work.

Never again

Impact Team (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe impact team members work very hard and keep the stores running.

ConsHighly discriminatory hiring practices. Was told in confidence that managers put "hot" employees on the sales floor and "cute" ones in the stockroom, and don't hire anything else. Raises are determined by who's pictures get sent to headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying into the strange "look" ideals that the company has. It's juvenile.

Not the company to work for

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount at any store (took some time to reach that)

Consno compensation for the work put forth, inconsistent schedule, salary confinement, short staffed, biased views on certain aspects of the store

Advice to Senior ManagementTry a little harder to compensate management for the work that they do. It is difficult to work for a company when upper management short staffs store. The hours are long and difficult to manage, and with store management you are salaried and paid for a set amount of hours, not hours worked.

Little employee appreciation, hard to move up

Manager In Training (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGood clothing discount, relaxed environment, decent benefits, work with friends.

ConsLow pay and long hours, many days nontime for lunch, punch out and keep working .not given time for training course. Little rooms to move up to corporate. The organization places little emphasis on employee retention or appreciation.

Full-Time Stock (Lead)

Full-Time Stock (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAt my property I had weekends off.
    40% discount instead of 30% like all the other part-time associates

ConsBeing a impactor/model you start off getting paid minimum wage.
    Management tends to overwork impactors.
    Unrealistic expectations when it comes to executing tasks on time and up to standard.

I've worked for this company for 4 years and I've seen and heard a lot!!! I've overheard management/recruiters on conference calls talking about how unattractive certain associates were. It was tasteless! and I hate that I had to work for a company that judged all their associates based off of their looks. They would even take away your hours if your look was not up to Abercrombie's standards. I know people that were not on the schedule for weeks, they had to beg for hours or pick up shifts from people in order to work.

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!