Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 2,035 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

(1,126 ratings)

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart(in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back(in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage(in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in(in 69 reviews)

2,035 Employee Reviews

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsRoom for advancement, promotions, retail experience

Conswork-life balance, ethics, pay, management

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your employees, rebrand to face the current market, seek new upper level management

A team disunited

Impact Team (Former Employee)

ProsUncomplicated job requirement(s) and attractive employees

ConsFrequently changing management makes it difficult as a new employee to get scheduled (employed 6 months and worked a total of 8 shifts; however I was scheduled for 4-5 call-ins/week every week)
    Unprofessional work environment
    Lack of investment in others' growth from the management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your associates more.

Impact Manager

Impact Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job-a little tedious but easy nontheless.

ConsVain company-they only care about appearances and not the human behind the face.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting some much pressure on people to recruit "models". It's not realistic.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Few hours, repetitive work, poor employee management.

Impact Team Member (Former Employee) Rogers, AR

ProsBroad experience - inventory, shipment, stock, and registers are all entry level tasks. This can help if you're looking for a job in the future, especially if it involves greeting customers.

ConsPoor management, hours are distributed across many employees rather than concentrated on a reasonable staff size. Apparently termination does not require them to notify you, either.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees.

Short term & Inflexible

Impact Team Member/Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey give you a "free" uniform: vneck/polo, skinny jeans and flip flops. They take a portion of it from your paycheck, but nothing close to what it would cost originally. There is also a 30% discount rate for abercrombie kids and Abercrombie & Fitch, and 20% off for Hollister and Gilly Hicks.

ConsThe stores are extremely dark. It was sometimes hard for me to distinguish the color of the clothing. There are also too many part time employees since they hire nonstop throughout the year. I only got 2-3 shifts a week sometimes. The work environment varied dramatically, depending on the manager you were working with. Also, you had to go into the store every Friday to print your schedule so you can know if you have a shift the following week. This is definitely a short term job for students.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are very inconsistent management throughout the Abercrombie team. The amount of part time workers restrict us from building a strong connection to one another and to the workplace as well.

Associate

Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFun place to work. Easy and enjoyable staff. Nice employee discounts.

ConsAsked to call in one hour before shift and told whether they need you or not. If business slows, you are asked to leave early. If they are busy, you may be called to come in for the rush. Hard to plan on a consistent income.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate steady work environment with scheduled hours maintained. Pay minimum of four hours to allow staff to pay for their gas. Eliminate call in requirement. It's impossible to plan employee days around a possible work schedule.

worst job ever

Prosthere is absolutely none

Consall you do is stand, fold and try to breathe through the thick air of their perfume/cologne they have on timer that sprays every 5 mins ....

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to your employees and realize that there is not much to do in any A&F so they will complete the days task and still have nothing to do.

Ridiculous policies

Floor Model (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

Pros- worked with many people so schedule was very flexible and usually easily covered
    - you get time off that you request off (usually)
    - made countless friends from working there

Cons- dumb-sounding taglines you must say to every single customer
    - give you the job title "model" so they can tell someone to go home if they don't look good enough without getting in trouble
    - too many managers
    - can't leave designated area even if a customer needs help elsewhere, so you have to flag someone else down or just point...

Advice to Senior Management- make better taglines and allow models to move from room to room if necessary

It was fun.

Greeter (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPaid very well. I was the guy who stood in front of the store without a shirt on and got paid $31/hr.

ConsNot a lot of hours but I had a very flexible schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Meh.

ProsIt's a nice first job and the hours are flexible.

ConsHigh employee turnover and "creepy" company: obsessed with look policy

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!