Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews

2,104 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,168 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots and lots of perks....you are managing 4 or 5 stores, so lots of traveling...but they gave us Audi A3s for our company car and the latest iphone's....paid for everything and great health insurance, 401k, benefits, vacation, etc...also met a lot of great people and TONS of connections were made. It was fun for awhile...until it got RIDICULOUS....workin' like a slave.. but we don't hire 'em. lmfao

Cons

They pay for your cell phone...THAT MEANS YOU ARE WORKING 24/7 (or it felt like it). Sure, it was great to finally have weekends off after working them as a store manager and assistant manager, but not when I'd have to constantly be up and leaving voicemails 7 days a week at 8AM....The company overall has some very unrealistic and crazy upper management that are totally all crazy about the company...

leadership is a major factor and there is opportunity to advance...just try not to take things personal or AS serious as upper management takes things...because most of it is so far out in left field and they are so strung out and amped up that it ends up being entertaining....OH...and horrible raises too once you reach this level. If you don't suck up to the upper management, you won't get anywhere...and if you aren't "HOT", don't plan on getting promoted very quickly.

Good for making friends, bad for making money.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I made a ton of friends during my 6 years at Abercrombie & Fitch, and overall my days were pretty easy. If you want a fun and mindless retail job, this is a great choice. However, during my time as an Assistant Manager I learned a lot of great workplace skills, and if you're interested in staying in retail or fashion, being a manager at A&F looks good on your resume. Their benefits are very good too if you're a full-time employee.

Cons

Depending on your job title or how big your store is, this job can get stressful very quickly. Your boss will expect you to devote your whole life to A&F if you're a manager, and you're rarely praised for your hard work. The schedule is awful and you work like a slave for a very little amount of money. It's ridiculous that you even need a degree to be a manager here. Promotion is also limited because they company is downsizing, not expanding, so good luck being anything more than a glorified "store manager". I hope you like working on weekends and being responsible for all of the complaints in your store!

Higher pay. I have since moved on to a different retail job and I make $1.90 less as a sales associate than I did as a MANAGER at Abercrombie & Fitch. That is ridiculous.

if you're cool with living in ohio...

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

young, cute employees. cool office. good food options.

Cons

no work-life balance. micro-managed. executives expect you to work 50+ hours

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a Good starter job if you're fresh out of college and don't have a clear career path.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're not always in the store. You go out recruiting when there's management coverage/overlap in your store (college campuses, high school sporting events, any other random events where you think you can find people to staff your store whether it's for part time associates or MIT's). Learn real hands on management experience ( "the basics" of running a retail store/business.) You can get "borrowed" to other locations in the absence of another manager when needed (within region and out of region but that's every blue moon)..expenses paid for. You can enroll in benefits after 30 days of working. Usually there's a small co-pay fee after Dr. Visits etc.. You Make enough to pay the bills ( rent, gas, groceries, phone bill, and have a little extra to "play" with). You get one hour breaks. 2days off a week. PTO is available ( personal days, sick days, and vacation)

Cons

The overall turnover rate is high. If you live on your own you will basically be living pay check to pay check. You really have little to no wiggle room for saving. You're schedule/days off are never consistent so that can make things a little difficult to plan around. Forget about having weekends off. Holiday vacation? Ahahaha what is that? But let's face it, the holidays are when everyone likes to shop. The "micro-managing" can get really old/annoying fast. The opportunity for pay raise after a year is there but may not always be enough to see a difference in your pay. The overtime pay is definitely not worth it. The PTO is there but good luck getting to actually use them.

Great Company, No Room for Creativity

Former Employee - Stock Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Awesome work environment
    - Great upper management (from my experience)
    - Lifestyle company
    - MIT training program is great for first-time managers
    - Great medical/dental/eye
    - Awesome Discounts
    - Great opportunity for development

Cons

- Seen managers be managers for years
    - Promised positions and promotions not awarded.
    - Impacted (limited opportunity for promotions)

Poor Upper Management

Current Employee - Lead  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible
    I have the most interesting , fun and talented coworkers.
    Assistant, General , and Store managers are all great to work with.
    Benefits as full time are excellent.

Cons

The Upper management- Home Office: Demotion of a lot of staff( more than half) in February order to save money.
    Overworked & Underpaid sales associates and managers.
    Overwhelming amount of customers and not enough associates to deliver quality customer service during busiest hours.
    Poor poor poor training- Most managers don't know how to certain operate systems. Leads know more than managers.
    Not all Associates are not fully trained on where items are on the floor.
    Little to know recognition from Home office hard workers who run the business.
    The most underpaid store on 5th Avenue.- Companies busiest location.

Pay attention to your staff and what is truly going on in your store.
    Show appreciation for those working in your store.
    Pay more.
    Invest in Better training of managers, part time and full time associates

Nothing special really; fold clothes, work cash registers, and greet customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)  in  Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule options. Friendly coworkers for the part.

Cons

No opportunity to move up without getting a college 4-year degree. Customers can get rather impatient because sometimes the store can get understaffed.

Like the local store managers, they are strict about how the store is presented and how the company is perceived.

Easy Easy Easy

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

The job is easy, I always had great managers to train me. Even when we had low hours, if you don't slack off and actually WORK, you will always get a spot on the schedule.

Cons

NO COMPETITIVE PAY. I got paid the same amount as someone else to fix their careless mistakes on top of my own work.

I would advise the management to maintain a level of professionalism. I have experienced some managers that are entitled and pretentious.

Good starting position

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great environment
    - energetic and motivated individuals
    -good social networking
    -No day was the same
    - Learned a lot of different aspect about retail, recruiting, sales, marketing.

Cons

-long hours
    - underpaid
    - hard to get time off
    - have to work winds

Pay your managers more! It is a good starting position for a recent grad, but not really long term. High turn over rate..

Had a great time but the pay is too low

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Huntington Station, NY
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Huntington Station, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great time with people you befriend. I get to wear their clothe and its not such a high demanding job

Cons

We HAVE to buy the uniform

none

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!