Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 2,032 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

(1,125 ratings)

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart(in 43 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back(in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage(in 231 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in(in 68 reviews)

2,032 Employee Reviews

Great Experience

Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfast paced environment, great training program, advancement opportunities are endless especially for international expansion

Consretail hours can be challenging and time off during holiday seasons can be hard. Other than that I can't complain

Best work environment, gives you great experience in many areas of business.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsFun, outgoing and great coworkers, great paid time off, can advance quickly with company if you are good looking and willing to relocate, and fast-paced environment. Many companies look to hire former A&F managers because of our strict standard and we are conditioned to work hard and give results. Plus, they offer amazing benefits at such a low cost!

ConsWorking every weekend, working with high school students who do not care for the job, unable to give raises to great part-timers, and management is forced to recruit others for their same level position.

My experience working there is something ill remember. From chill music to that smell of Fierce cologne. Good Times..

Impact Team Member (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest reasons of working here would be the constant one to one conversations with shoppers. I was close to learning multiple languages within a month. Working in a store where everyones diverse.

ConsChallenges of working here at A&F would be the lingering smell of their brand perfume or cologne. It's really hard to breathe especially on a floor with a group of shoppers breathing down your neck.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers gotta be more responsible with your associates. Most managers Ive worked with often "Chill" or "hangout". IT IS YOUR DUTY to make sure everything is going as smooth as possible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place and great people!

Floor Model (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsThe ambiance makes it a great place to work and you meet tons of cool people. Management was flexible with scheduling and it was easy to make changes or ask for days off. The standards are high which makes pushes you to do better.

ConsOn days the store isn't busy, folding clothes all day can get boring. The work can get monotonous.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurning down the music.

For a last resort its not bad.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsWhen i graduated finding work was nearly impossible. They'll hire anyone attractive with a bachelors degree.

ConsTime off policies, days off, general schedule.
    Promotion is based on whether the manager that hired you is still above you, if someone new comes in it only benefits them to promote their specific recruits over someone else. So be wary of new DMs/SMs cause they will want to restaff with their own so they can keep moving up.
    Very difficult to recruit managers when the economy has significantly improved.

Great people, fun managers

ProsI met a lot of people during college

ConsNo way to move up in the company unless you get a college degree.

Ok for a student job looking to earn easy extra cash..not if you need a significant income.

Sales Associate (Model) (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCasual environment, coworkers become friends.

ConsMinimum wage. Managers had bad attitudes..complained about their own pay.

Enjoyed working with the models, managers, and the fashion experience

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgreat opportunity to learn about fashion, image, and operations of a store. It was fun, enjoyed the atmosphere, and the people.

ConsThe pay is not enough for managers and long hours. Corporate needs to have more opportunities to advance from the stores to the corporate office.Promotions need to be about experience and hard work, and loyal to the company. Instead the only way to advancement within the stores as a assist manager is being to recruit another assistant manager that has the Abercrombie physical appearance first and degree second. There are not abundance of individuals that everyday people come in contact with the Abercrombie & Fitch image and physical appearance with college degrees. There are a lot of people with fashion degrees and the operational experience that is never considered; because of their physical appearance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe pay is not enough for managers and long hours. Corporate needs to have more opportunities to advance from the stores to the corporate office.Promotions need to be about experience and hard work, and loyal to the company. Instead the only way to advancement within the stores as a assist manager is being to recruit another assistant manager that has the Abercrombie physical appearance first and degree second. There are not abundance of individuals that everyday people come in contact with the Abercrombie & Fitch image and physical appearance with college degrees. There are a lot of people with fashion degrees and the operational experience that is never considered; because of their physical appearance and not there degree.

Great learning experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsI enjoy working with people around my age and its a great way to meet and make new friends.

ConsThe yearly pay is very low for the amount of work they expect you to do and the insurance is quite expensive. Plus the hours are retail hours, so your social life becomes non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an extra manager per a store so that there is more overlap. Having one associate and just one manager is sometimes overwhelming.

Great people and work environment

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) New Albany, OH

ProsGreat campus environment including gym and fantastic cafe, benefits, people are very positive

ConsSome departments work long hours

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!