Abercrombie & Fitch

2,135 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,187 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for making friends, bad for making money.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I made a ton of friends during my 6 years at Abercrombie & Fitch, and overall my days were pretty easy. If you want a fun and mindless retail job, this is a great choice. However, during my time as an Assistant Manager I learned a lot of great workplace skills, and if you're interested in staying in retail or fashion, being a manager at A&F looks good on your resume. Their benefits are very good too if you're a full-time employee.

Cons

Depending on your job title or how big your store is, this job can get stressful very quickly. Your boss will expect you to devote your whole life to A&F if you're a manager, and you're rarely praised for your hard work. The schedule is awful and you work like a slave for a very little amount of money. It's ridiculous that you even need a degree to be a manager here. Promotion is also limited because they company is downsizing, not expanding, so good luck being anything more than a glorified "store manager". I hope you like working on weekends and being responsible for all of the complaints in your store!

Higher pay. I have since moved on to a different retail job and I make $1.90 less as a sales associate than I did as a MANAGER at Abercrombie & Fitch. That is ridiculous.

Satisfying, enjoyable, Fun

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, fun atmosphere, opportunities to advance, great sense of belonging.

Cons

Pay, upper management, favoritism

Do not take advantage of those most capable of doing great things.

Good job for a first job but not a pleasant experience.

Current Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Impact Team Member in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

No experience required.
    Easy interview. Start off with many hours (23 in the first week for me)
    Easy for model
    Moderate difficulty for impact as you will have to work model as well as complete impact tasks.

Cons

Minimum wage regardless of experience. Managers play favorite. I didn't feel welcome. If a manager has a problem they tend to gossip as if they are still in high school. I am stressed when I have to work for them. They will call you at 10PM asking you to come in for an hour on a school night, if you deny their request you get a significant lower amount of hours. I average 6.5 hours biweekly. They hire based on education, physical appearance and social skills.

Get your act together, act professional and understand not everybody has a college degree. Quit playing favorites.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great starting place to build your resume in the fashion industry.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I got to work internationally for two years. You meet so many great people you will be friends with your whole life and it is nice that at any level of management everyone is cool and down to earth. Plus, awesome discount!

Cons

Pay is not as high as other companies, retail hours suck around the holidays.

Pay your experienced managers better if you want to keep them.

4 Stars!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company to work for- I started with the company as a sales associate throughout high school and college. The schedule is extremely flexible for sales associates, especially full time students. I have worked in various A&F, A&F kids and HCO stores.. all managers are extremely flexible with your schedule. As an assistant manager with the background as a sales associate, managerial duties and procedures came very easily for me but A&F does provide a very detailed 3 month training that ensures optimum performance. My management team was cohesive, beginning with my store manager being very fair. My district manager was absolutely wonderful, always educating/ following up/ looking out for the best interest of her managers/ team. Opportunities for advancement comes very fast for hard workers.

Cons

Compensation could be better for all levels.

Speaking for myself, I loved working for A&F because of the people. The company truly hires outstanding employees from upper management down to associates. Please continue to hire quality individuals.. I have made lasting friendships with the company, I hope others will too!

Okay for a seasonal job

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

The operations of the stores are well-structured and organized
    Asking for days off is easily as long as you can find someone to cover your shift.
    Requesting for days off is also an easy process.

Cons

Managers play favorites
    Not much team-building.
    Dress code is very strict.

Fun place to work, good for college-age people, good introduction to retail, but pay is low and hard to get hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)  in  Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Concord, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Social environment, nice clothes at good discount

Cons

Low pay and hard to get hours

Decent, but wouldn't recommend it.

Current Employee - Manager In Training (MIT)  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Manager In Training (MIT) in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy entry level management position with no experience commensurate with a B.A

Cons

Shallow culture and uncomfortable working conditions. Blaring loud music over and over all day while on your feet in sandals

Reach out to MIT's more often and ensure District Manager is not abusing their power or not following procedures with lower level management

Overall very enjoyable

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office culture was tight knit. Their standards made me a very good worker

Cons

When i worked there if you were an assistant manager working about 50-55 hours a week you end up making more than a store manager position. Store Managers are salary and assistant managers are hourly. Makes it confusing to want a promotion

Assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

You meet great people, from associates to upper management. The work isn't rocket science, so it's easy to learn the different aspects of the business. You learn to be independent and run an entire store by yourself.

Cons

The pay is aweful for the amount you put in. You get paid hourly, and depending on which state you're working, you get paid only half if you work overtime. There's high expectations where it can be unreachable if your management team only looks out for themself.

Pay more!!! If you want managers to stay, pay them a decent amount that they deserve!

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!