Abercrombie & Fitch

2,416 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,331 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working for this company because of the many opportunities it gives its employees.

Current Employee - Impact Member
    Current Employee - Impact Member

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is that they allow you t choose your own working schedule because they are well aware of how flexibility means to its employees.

Cons

Sometimes the store doesn't have enough coverage for the day and we have to stay extra hours to finish everything.

Why does everyone make this place out to be hell?

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Columbus, OH

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved management. Positive energy everywhere. Sure maybe jeffries is crazy, and the customers can be annoying and gross (who leaves used tampons in a fitting room?) but seriously other than that I loved working for A&F. I worked for multiple stores with various titles as well as corporate office. Everyone I worked with was so friendly and so helpful including upper management.

Cons

The pay is terrible, but for a high schooler college student/ anyone under the age of 19 working part time that is to be expected. If your going to work minimum wage jobs you might as well work somewhere you can meet great people and have fun.

Don't hire attractive management. It makes it too difficult to focus on folding stacks of clothes. If you must hire attractive management, ban the fraternization rule forever.

Fun work environment

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

You get to work with others that are your age.
    Very fun and upbeat work environment.
    You get to wear flip-flops year round.
    And employee discounts!

Cons

They are very strict about your appearance.
    Cant put hair up must be down and natural.
    No eyeliner, must have natural looking face.
    Cannot wear anything black.

Should be more consistent switching out the model and registers because standing in the front of the store for 4 hours not doing much gets tiring.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Fun coworkers, flexible schedule while in school, great Manager in Training Program, very easy to move from a model (retail associate) to a manager position once you've graduated school, you can gain great customer service/people skills from this job if you apply yourself,

Cons

Low Pay, Poor work-life balance due to the fact schedules are only made one week or less in advance, management can be immature and unprofessional at times (depends on the store and the management team), company is very looks based and people that are more attractive get the upper hand over people that work hard

Pay your managers better. Since upper management only hires social, fun, outgoing, good-looking people it only makes sense that those people would want to have a social life outside of work. When your schedule is made a week or less in advance and you have to work every weekend it makes it very hard to make plans and have a good work-life balance.

As far as part-time model position and impact position the company does a great job. I am so thankful for the opportunities that came my way and the people skills I gained from working as a part time model at the store. The company will really work with your schedule as a student and is a great job to help you through college. My experience as a model was very good and very different than my experience as a manager.

Good experience for first job

Current Employee - Impact in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Impact in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you do your work and show up and be on time you will get the hours you want. You just have to prove yourself.

The job is not hard at all.
    You receive 50% discount at Abercrombie & Fitch and Abercrombie kids and 30% at Hollister.

You pretty much decide whenever you don't want to work. As long as you update your schedule online before they make the schedule for the next week you should be good.

Cons

Sense of judgment upon others..

Pretty much impossible to get a raise.

You pretty much have to buy new clothes with every season.

Great training, fun staff, terrible company....

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They provide some of the best retail and management training. They also provide some of the best loss prevention training.

Cons

Terrible expectations
    Treat people terribly and live up to popular rumors.
    The pay will never match the job expectations.

I see you're already making some changes. We'll see where this goes.

I enjoyed working as and Assistant Manager because I enjoyed learning about working with associates.

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

International; Travel opportunities; Different every day

Cons

Not diverse; Favoritism; Long hours

Truly appreciated! Great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Great job building fundamentals and training

Cons

Salary
    Retail hours

Keep up the good work!

If you aren't gorgeous, don't work here.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For me a pro was the atmosphere. I loved the loud music and dark lighting and the fragrance didn't bother me. I loved the clothes too.

The other pro was the people. Got to meet really awesome people and made friends.

The amount of responsibility and power you have over running the store is awesome too. A good place to learn management skills.

Benefits were pretty good.

Cons

A lot here... First off the pay is atrocious for a position that requires a bachelors degree. The pay is not negotiable. It's 28,000 per year in most places. In some cities it pays a little more but never more than 32,000 for an assistant manager.

What you look like will determine everything with your career here. When you start as a manager they take your picture. The DM then has to submit this picture and your Regional Manager and all the other DMs in the region will assign you a score 1-5 based on your appearance. They will discuss how you look and then determine you as "high potential" or "low potential" based on what you look like. Only very attractive people will be high potential. This is all secretive and they don't tell managers about this process. Girls, they want you tall, thin, with a natural pretty face and natural healthy hair. You can't really wear makeup or dye your hair.
    Guys, you need to be masculine. They discriminate against gay men. They want the stereotypical frat guy that's tall and muscular or fit. Clear skin and classic hair. THEY ARE VERY HARD ON GUYS. You need to have the look. Girls are promoted more often. It's easier for them to fit the image.

High potential managers will be promoted quickly, even if they are mediocre. Low potential managers will not ever be promoted, even if they are great at their job.

They purposefully try to make this job very easy so their good looking people will not quit. You can be mediocre and they won't care as long as you are attractive.

They also obsess over recruiting. You are expected to constantly go on recruiting trips to get part time associates and managers. You recruit by going places and approaching people that have the "look." Problem is, no one wants to work for minimum wage. Even chick fil a pays more. And managers have to have a degree. Educated people don't want to work here either.

Please take my warning and do not work here if you aren't very good looking and physically fit. They only value GREAT looking people.

Other con is the customers, they are pushing and gross. Also, retail hours and all the other retail struggles apply.

Increase pay. Start promoting people based on performance, not what their picture looks like. Be harder on store managers and stop letting them get away with running messy and disfunctional stores.

Atore manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

The people who work for you

Cons

The companys standards on hiring

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos