Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 1,781 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

1,781 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pleasant work environment; social and laid-back"
    in 85 reviews
  • "The staff is fun and mostly good looking people which is a plus if you are single"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "This job will pay minimum wage, which is okay if you are in high school"
    in 178 reviews
  • "Work/Life Balance - They don't care about what's going on outside of work"
    in 57 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not the company to work for

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

ProsDiscount at any store (took some time to reach that)

Consno compensation for the work put forth, inconsistent schedule, salary confinement, short staffed, biased views on certain aspects of the store

Advice to Senior ManagementTry a little harder to compensate management for the work that they do. It is difficult to work for a company when upper management short staffs store. The hours are long and difficult to manage, and with store management you are salaried and paid for a set amount of hours, not hours worked.

Little employee appreciation, hard to move up

Manager In Training (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

ProsGood clothing discount, relaxed environment, decent benefits, work with friends.

ConsLow pay and long hours, many days nontime for lunch, punch out and keep working .not given time for training course. Little rooms to move up to corporate. The organization places little emphasis on employee retention or appreciation.

Full-Time Stock (Lead)

Full-Time Stock (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt my property I had weekends off.
40% discount instead of 30% like all the other part-time associates

ConsBeing a impactor/model you start off getting paid minimum wage.
Management tends to overwork impactors.
Unrealistic expectations when it comes to executing tasks on time and up to standard.

I've worked for this company for 4 years and I've seen and heard a lot!!! I've overheard management/recruiters on conference calls talking about how unattractive certain associates were. It was tasteless! and I hate that I had to work for a company that judged all their associates based off of their looks. They would even take away your hours if your look was not up to Abercrombie's standards. I know people that were not on the schedule for weeks, they had to beg for hours or pick up shifts from people in order to work.

Bad pay, managers

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

ProsNo pros, everything is bad working for A&F

ConsEverything, nothing good working for them

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better your employees

Total review

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Lake Grove, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

ProsGood coworkers, discount on clothing

ConsTerrible work environment, awful pay and employees are not appreciated

Unethical place to work for crap pay!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

ProsThe discount on clothes and the chance to preview clearance items first is great. However, you only get your discount on the original price of items and the discount is only fifty-percent every few months for five items or less.

ConsThey want you to recruit to recruit people based on how they look. They have to be a specific kind of attractive which is defined by pictures of people in a book that they give you. If you don't recruit the "great looking" people they are looking for and keep them (even though they will only get one to two shifts a week) then you will NEVER get promoted. They also pay attention to details that customers do not even notice, such as how many inches each stack of clothing is from the edge of the table. They expect managers to make minute details such as this happen with employees who are paid minimum wage with no opportunity for a raise or career advancement (pretty hard to "drive that result" when all they care about it how people look during the interview process). Terrible place to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time and allocate more money on finding people with great attitudes and work skills. Focus less on physical appearance of associates. Stop focusing on minute details that customers do not even notice (i.e. the length of pants on forms from the top of the head). Customers care more about being helped.

Boring Job, High-School Mentality, and

Model (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

ProsDiscounts on clothing. I think it was around 30 or 40%.

ConsIncredibly judgmental staff, minimum wage pay, hardly any growth (unless you've been there for a while or are lucky enough to be selected by an A&F scout), and so much turnover. I think the press from the last few years says a lot about the unfortunate mentality of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay...maybe employees will stick around a little longer.

Would not recommend the experience to anyone

Merchant (Former Employee)
New Albany, OH

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are lots of young people, so it is easy to make friends if you are fresh out of college.

Cons-Everyone at the company is miserable and looking for other jobs. It is sad because you find yourself bonding with your coworkers over a mutual hatred for the company.
-Mass layoffs are a regular occurrence, which creates an unhealthy, competitive work environment. You never know who from your team is going to be called up to HR next.
-The HR department holds an ungodly amount of power. They essentially decide from week one what type of career you will have. All decisions regarding your career progression are made by the HR department, even though they have no visibility to your actual performance.
-The hours are annoying. You must be in by 8AM at the latest and cannot leave until 6PM. There is no such thing as a lunch break (even though there is a big cafeteria with lots of tables... so confusing!). Even if you finish your work by 5 and there is nothing else to do, you are required to sit there until 6PM.

Awful culture, declining brand.

Manager In Training (MIT) (Former Employee)
Novi, MI

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

ProsNone, there really are none. If you're a MIT you're either looking for another job or you're a fool and think you'll go corporate.

ConsFlip flops in winter
Superficial staff
Judgmental management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Jeffries and rethink the whole brand.

Terrible

Sales Associate (Model) (Former Employee)
Annapolis, MD

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

ProsThere is absolutely nothing good to say about this company. Everyone that works there is conceited and rude to one another.

ConsAlthough it doesn't say it in the employment contract, you are forced to buy their (overpriced) clothes. If you don't you don't get out on the schedule.

Extremely cliquey.

Upper management discriminates based on looks, personality, etc.

We are verbally told to not recruit the "ugly people".

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise your company policy so other brand doesn't continue to crash and burn.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!

Abercrombie & Fitch Videos

Abercrombie & Fitch – Why Work for Us?

Abercrombie & Fitch Co. is a leading specialty clothing retailer holding four unique lifestyle brands - Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, Hollister Co., and Gilly Hicks. Based in New Albany, Ohio, Abercrombie… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abercrombie & Fitch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries. All 1,781 reviews posted anonymously by Abercrombie & Fitch employees.