Abercrombie & Fitch

2,337 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,291 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

A very social environment

Current Employee - Model in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Model in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount. Everyone was around my age and managers were much more chill as Abercrombie got more lax on what you could wear and not wear

Cons

In the past you basically had to buy the clothes you worked in

There is no room for promotion. You have to have a 4 yr degree to go anywhere which is nuts for a retail store

Mind-numbing

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Going to work in casual clothes every day, a non-traditional schedule (if you like that sort of thing, I do not., access to the mall whenever you're at work.

Cons

Company values AKA not being allowed to hire competent interviewees because they don't appease the absurd "look policy", crappy pay, horrible hours, meaningless labor, horrendous interpersonal interactions with crabby customers, having to work holidays, nights, and weekends... it is a long list.

Stop being so brainwashed... you all have college degrees.

AM and already over the job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Job is easy. Being a model previously helped me transition to assistant manager very easily. It's great experience in the management field and you make a lot of connections (to later leave).

Cons

Recruiting people is terrible. The turnover is so high because we can't give our associates even a decent amount of hours since we want "good looking people" and "fresh faces" all the time. Due to this, the associates treat the job like a joke and won't show up or quit in the worst manner possible. Upper management micromanage stores they never visit and when they do, they pick out stupid things that are wrong. Updates every week are miserable. Discount during AAA's is good but only then.

Quit micromanaging our stores. If you want results, listen to our opinions. We are in there every day. We see what goes on and what SHOULD change! Ask us. Treat us as your equal.
    Get rid of the plants. They are a pain and we always find sensors in them. Get rid of crazy standard and forms. Let us remove clothes from the forms, we would sell way more merchandise. Also, I wish we could just dress the forms ourselves and not involve some crazy task to make them look perfect!
    Allow us to recruit less. A lot less. Let us develop our good associates into great ones and give them decent hours (15-20 a week). We worry every time we schedule a new hire to do something because it's hard to train them and run our store at the same time.
    If there was ONE THING I could change, it'd be to stop recruiting and keep our good associates. Even just have one position and train them all how to do model/impact work. My T3 store would need maybe 15 great employees and the store would run smooth, instead of the 50 that I am told are needed.

Working as an MIT at Abercrombie & Fitch

Former Employee - Manager In Training (MIT)
    Former Employee - Manager In Training (MIT)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Straight forward interview (scripted) dealing with background and past job experiences. Primarily examples of when I was in a leadership or management position in the past and how well I performed. Attire was casual...pretty much anything from the store, I was told to wear jeans and a t-shirt with converse if I had them. If you have a college degree and your interviewer approves of your physical attributes, more than likely you will be offered the position regardless of how well you answer each question.

Cons

The interview was with the district manager, I had expected to work at a more convenient location than I was assigned and somewhat misled. I was fully expecting to work in the location that I was recruited, where the application was submitted, and where the interview took place. When I was offered the position, I requested a day to think it over, and the next day I accepted....only to find out they expected me to work in a location about 25 miles farther away. Turns out the pay wasn't exactly a salary of what the verbal agreement of $31,000 was either, I earned only $14.90/hr and upon being promoted to a store Assistant Manager there was no raise whatsoever. It was a very simple, mundane, and irritating job.

I found it extremely boring...the store staff themselves were relatively friendly but also seemed entitled and arrogant over such a ridiculous job. Any position above the store manager only cared about themselves (ie the District Manager was extremely fake and had unrealistic expectations of all staff). The store environment changed to a negative and hostile environment immediately upon upper management entering the mall. Customers repeatedly complained to myself and other associates on why other employees were constantly approaching and overwhelming them even after asking for space to simply browse...reason being: our district manager was present and literally writing associates up for not approaching and forcing our "service and help" on each customer, which usually resulted in the customer turning around to leave.

The position also strongly stressed recruiting...it could almost be considered a full-time recruiting job at times because of how ridiculous their expectations are.

I gave numerous interviews and was reprimanded repeatedly for hiring "unqualified" candidates...when no one had looked over their application yet or sat in on the interview with me. I was told before even meeting the candidate whether I was expected to hire someone or not based strictly on their physical appearance. If they were relatively attractive I was told to make sure they applied for the impact (stock area) position. If the store manager found them more attractive I was instructed to let the applicant know we had more positions available for the "model" position. Our manager was known to switch their applications as well depending on their appearance. Also important to note, many of the employees I hired were never scheduled nor given anymore than an orientation day, even after completely opening their availability. I witnessed some of my hires cover for another employee's shift; only to be sent home and us short-staffed because of their appearance.

Great job for High School or College Student.

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The greatest parts of working here is definitely the people you work with along with the culture of the store and company. It is a very laid back environment but with very strict policies and standards. The people you work with are normally pretty outgoing and fun to be around.

Cons

The cons are quite an extensive list sadly. You only get 30% off full priced items with 20% off at Sister stores, so most of the time the store sale is better than your associate discount. You get Minimum Wage so you really use about a weeks worth of pay on one outfit. There is no room for growth unless you complete or have a Bachelors degree to become a Co-manager or Store manager. You can be "on-call" many a day with many 4 or 5 hour shifts only. So your work-life balance can be difficult to plan for.

Depends on your Management team. We just got a brand new Management team and they are wonderful. The last one... not so much. So, if you have a good team then working can be great.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Portland, ME

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a full time job if you are within what they deem good looking, and you may get to travel some within your district to help with other stores.

Cons

You will have no life unless you can manage to completely not care about the store and what upper management has to say. They will make you work without breaks, and then put breaks in later in order to seem within the law. They will tell you to work on your only day off because there is going to be a corporate visit, and then no one will show up. It is essentially a bunch of mind games they play in order to have stores strive for their outrageous standards. Only working on a good staff makes working for them tolerable for any period of time.

Understand what is a reasonable request, and what is pushing your workers over the edge. Because the company is suffering, reduce jobs at the corporate level instead of forcing the stores to work way beyond reasonable limits on a skeleton staff.

Manager in training

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, down to earth environment. They work with your schedule and you get benefits. You also get sick days, personal days, and vacation.

Cons

Provided little training with high expectations, highly unprofessional, no matter how far you go up in management they are still unprofessional. Low salary for the amount of stress placed onto MITs and assistant managers. Store managers step on anyone's toes to advance in the company. Completed a training program and after working there for over six months was never promoted until I put in my two weeks. I recommend never working for this company's management team.

Stay on track with management team, give more positive feedback instead of negative, and actually talk to your staff.

Young environment, great for a first job!

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Friendly staff, management transparency, great training

Cons

A hit-or-miss with managers, seasonal employees can get confused with the changes

Do not work here unless you want random hours and want to be treated with no respect

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in San Jose, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-discount
    -get to be around great people

Cons

-I did not receive any schedule or anything for my hours. My manager always called me only 1 hour before my shift which was very inconvenient. She sent me to a location that was 1 hour away for a 10 hour shift one week and the next 2 weeks I received like maybe 4 hours.
    -Another terrible situation: Manager called me in to cover for a girl that didn't show up. I showed up and she left me waiting for 20 minutes while she was talking to a group of employees. Then, she told me that she did not need me today because of some confusion with the other store in the mall. I was in the car and then received a phone call that she needed me back. I did not go back obviously, That was the end of it.

Make a proper schedule and let your employees know their hours at LEAST a few days to a week before their schedule.

Manager in training

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Consistent pay, decent discount during AAA's

Cons

No consistent schedule, stressful, too many floor sets, working with teenagers/young adults that weren't reliable. Too many conference calls; micromanaged.

Focus on your current employees instead of recruiting so much, then the turnover rate wouldn't be so high.

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos