Abercrombie & Fitch

2,135 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,187 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant manager of Abercrombie and Fitch

Current Employee - Assist Manager
    Current Employee - Assist Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Pays ok for the first job out of college
    -Education is required, which is good because it doesn't undermine those of us who worked hard for our degrees.
    -some cool people
    -recruiting is fun--- you literally have to check out cute guys or girls for a living
    -room for moving up once you've graduated college...if you're pretty enough.

Cons

-hiring an efficient staff is a nightmare. We hire associates based on looks and a lot of them are ridiculously stupid.
    -some people think they're prettier than they really are and it's terribly obnoxious.
    -full time hourly wage gets cut in half after you exceed 40 hours a week :/
    -you get micromanaged and you're WAY underpaid.

Get over yourselves. Your looks will fade. Then you won't pass your own interview.

Model/Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Super flexible schedule that you can essentially make yourself
    You get the opportunity to work with a ton of hot people so I mean I guess that's a plus
    Relaxed work environment (You're basically folding clothes and saying "hey how's it going" all day or working the cash wrap)
    This company has gone from basic flannels and tee's that had "A&F" plastered on them to real high-fashion, good quality clothes. It suffered a lot these past few years but I think the direction that it's going in is a good one.

Cons

Hours. Unless business is doing really well which more often than not it isn't, you usually get 4 hour shifts.
    You're placed in the store based on your outward appearance. So for instance, the best looking person gets placed in the very front or on cash registers and the less attractive are either in the back working stock or on fitting rooms or in the clearance section. Someone had to say it...
    Coworkers can be nice but there can also be a lot of cattiness and jealously especially over who gets places where..
    No opportunity for a raise or growth really unless you want to become a manager...

Stop placing models in zones based on outward appearance. It's annoying and raises tension.

Ehhhh

Current Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Impact Team Member in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about working here is that the store environment is very relaxed and chill. You also meet a lot of cool and interesting people that are your age

Cons

The pay sucks for the amount of work an impactor does. The stores barely give hours, not a good job if you're trying to save up for something nice

Impactor and managers do the most dutiful tasks in the store and the pay sucks. You guys want us to buy clothes from the company but sometimes we can't even afford it because of the pay. It's a rip-off, you get paid and the money goes right back to you guys because we MUST buy your clothing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers/team environment, training is definitely provided. You will usually get the hours you want and/or need.

Cons

Minimum wage; some workers work harder than others, thus pay is unfair. Opening can take place very early in the morning and closing can go past midnight (depending on the week day). No more than 20 hours per week per person for the most part.

Standard college part-time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model)  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in New York, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, upbeat environment, work requires little effort. As far as part-time jobs go, this is A-OK and it's certainly a unique retail experience to work at this particular brand.

Cons

No practical skills developed, fairly mindless, pay is just average in the industry.

Great Energy

Former Employee - Assistant Visual Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Visual Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was a lot of great energy in the store - "clubby" music (I liked it anyway), fun associates and fellow managers, stylish products. It was a fun place to work post-college despite all of the haters and controversy. I had an AMAZING GM at my first store (Hollister) and I absolutely loved my job for the first 6 months. If you have the right associates and managers at your store, it can really make a huge difference!

Cons

I worked there when retail really started to suffer, so there was a ton of poorly executed downsizing and advancement opportunities seemed to disappear overnight. Pay was barely sufficient but other benefits were alright.

I've worked in retail most of my life, and I wish companies would figure out a better system to rotate schedules so you didn't have to work EVERY weekend of EVERY month. Also, please don't count Friday as a "weekend" day - it definitely is not - making your managers work Saturday AND Sunday is not fair or necessary.

great as first job

Current Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate  in  Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy, laid back, simple tasks such as folding and greeting.
    easy to get along with everyone (most at least)
    you get to manage clearance so you can get first sales
    work with your schedules

Cons

-lazy managers, one of my managers just talked on her phone as all the employees closed.
    -not enough hours, they give hours to people who doesn't even show up
    -sometimes too high expectation and no help from others, they expect impactors to finish all the works when its crazily busy, and the models just stands around afterward
    -impactors get less hours
    -don't expect models to know impactors work because they wont.
    -stockroom is always unorganized because new hires don't know how to manage it well.

just because you are managers, doesn't mean you should stand around watching your employees work, what is team work when you are not helping and joining in? Overall, managers should look at the abilities of employees to do things rather than just their looks.

it was my first and best job I've had.

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

the fact that they give you hours and the enviorment is just like hanging with your friends.

Cons

you are constantly moving and going up and down from the backstock area.

Be competitive with your employees and it will make them want to work twice as hard I'm living proof.

if you're cool with living in ohio...

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

young, cute employees. cool office. good food options.

Cons

no work-life balance. micro-managed. executives expect you to work 50+ hours

Great Company, No Room for Creativity

Former Employee - Stock Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Awesome work environment
    - Great upper management (from my experience)
    - Lifestyle company
    - MIT training program is great for first-time managers
    - Great medical/dental/eye
    - Awesome Discounts
    - Great opportunity for development

Cons

- Seen managers be managers for years
    - Promised positions and promotions not awarded.
    - Impacted (limited opportunity for promotions)

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!