Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews

2,104 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,168 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

Very annoying

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount. That is probably the only good thing about working there.

Cons

There is no communication from corporate. If you came up with a way the company could do something better but there is no way to say hey lets do it like this. Some policies are redundant and do not work for every store. Technically you do not have to buy their clothes but you need the same style without any logos and honestly where are you going to find that.

Get feedback from current employees on what works and doesn't work. Not just from a flagship store.

Impact position/stock associate

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

- co-workers are outgoing
    - get to stay in the back and listen to music that isn't the repetitive music on the sales floor

Cons

- lack of hours
    - managers are biased in giving shifts (they play favorites)
    - unprofessional; even if you book time off in advance, they may still schedule you during the time you booked off
    - under constant pressure to perform on time as a impact worker

Discourages Individuality, Closed Minded / Micromanaged, Poor Work-Life Balance

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Never the same experience day to day. Can be a fun, laid-back work environment due to co-workers.

Cons

Retail is retail, so you will have to deal with angry customers, but the company is NOT customer service oriented so you will get placed in awkward situations with customers more than you should. You don't have much leeway or tools at your disposal to help them out. Company has a ton of absurd rules and managers are micro-managed and in turn expected to micro-manage their employees. It can be soul crushing and reduces productivity when these issues are focused on more than the true threats to the company's success. Company atmosphere as a whole is poor. Employees feel undervalued and abused.

Do not let poor managers continue to work here out of desperation when you are short staffed. Focus more on addressing poor management style instead of micromanaging small details about employee dress code. Encourage individuality and creativity instead of stifling it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great company to work for

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only thing I liked about working there was the discounts. Managers get up to 40% off. Clothes are beautiful; a bit over priced though

Cons

The music is super loud for starters and the smell of Fierce gives anyone a headache. Even though they won't admit it the company is racist and unfair. I was an assistant manager so the wage and benefits were good but for part-timers it was horrible. The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage. If that wasn't enough they HAD to buy new clothes every season which was too much money even after their discount. Most on my employees were struggling students who needed extra cash for their expenses but with 8 hours a week this job was no good.

So fake. All of management above us tried to keep this "cool, young image" which was a bunch of BS. The district manager for example was a total jerk. He would make us managers feels horrible by judging our appearance and image. All of us managers (women) were a 00 in size. I would feel fat besides the fact that I was only weighing 96lbs. One manager went from a size 7 to a 00. Another felt ugly because he would constantly tell her to wear make-up and straighten her hair. They say that A&F is all about natural beauty but honestly they would mold us like putty to their liking. Being 96lbs and over-worked (I was declined my vacay time 3 times) I had to quit due to health issues. I had to wear a heart monitor for a month due to stress; their main concern was, no my health, but me not being dressed properly since I had wires coming out of my chest.

Bad treatment

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Similar Interest employees, very little is good about this company and its functions... really bad

Cons

Perfume bombardment, managers are only a year older than you but think they're so much better and insist on putting you down for no reason, shaving mandatory before EACH SHIFT even if you work two shifts on the same day (BS), TERRIBLE PAY, bad hours

please consider school schedules

It's all politics and empty promises

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flip flops and jeans to work
    Promotions can happen quickly
    Fun people to work with

Cons

Skewed way of thinking
    Low low pay
    Hire for looks vs talent

Read a business article every once in awhile. Also, pay your people more

its ok

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)  in  Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

you get to meet alot of people from all over the world

Cons

You barely get any hours, pay rate low

be a great opportunity to meet people

If you're stuck

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

They hire quickly, more or less relaxed environment.

Cons

Lack of structure, terrible pay, racist

Increase pay to retain employees

Not an enjoyable experience.

Current Employee - Impact Member  in  Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Impact Member in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good for a part time job as a teen or college student. Worked at abercrombie kids at their most profitable store. You get 30-50 percent off store merchandise.

Cons

Tedious work for minimum wage. A lot of strict rules regarding appearance. You have to work hard to get more shifts since managers are the ones that assign shifts. 50-50 chance of getting good managers. CEO is terrible. You are sort of forced to buy and wear their clothes, even though they say you are not obligated. The clothes don't look good and are overpriced. BLACK FRIDAY.

Stop being so strict and be friendlier to your employees.

hate this place

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

some fun people to work with

Cons

completely boring if you're working on the floor

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!