Abercrombie & Fitch

2,303 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,270 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Good resume builder

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

The people you work worth everyday. I've met a lot of people that I am still really close with. It's a great starter if you want to get into retail management.

Cons

Management and associate turn over. Lack of raises. Lack of business strategy. Absurd policies and procedures.

Management staff is consistently changing.
    The company has a focus for image and not a focus of strategy, sacrificing having a competent and experienced staff for having a "pretty" staff. The company hires based off looks, not work ethic or experience. There once was a contest to see who could hire the most "not white people" where the winners got Starbucks giftcards.

Realize that this is a retail store and not a college campus. While previous strategies worked in 2007, they are not working in 2014. Be more adaptive to the industry.

Worst company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

Coworkers, full benefits. Glassdoor requires me to submit at least five words for pros so I'm typing this sentence to get this review posted.

Cons

Compensation is a joke, the soundtrack will drive you insane, the store is dark, they make you BUY their clothes to wear to work. There is no reason why this place should require a 4 year degree. You rarely ever get two days off in a row. This place is a joke, there is so much more I could say but the bottom line is don't even waste your time with A&F.

Please continue to do exactly what you're doing so that A&F will be out of business soon. This company acts like they're still expanding when in fact they're closing stores every year.

Do what it takes

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

Discount for clothes, lots of connections, fun people

Cons

Slave work, not professional upper management, dangerous as something might fall on your head from the ceiling, lots of time in a dust and carrying boxes, have to wear clothes that is not meant for work.

If you need me to help, just ask and stop making your people guilty

Awful

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

There are no pros here

Cons

I know what hell is like

Store management is fine, but upper management needs to learn how to treat others.

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Impact in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Impact in New York, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible if you're in school or in the industry as a model/actress. Can move up the ladder quickly since everyone quits all the time. Good starting job

Cons

$9 starting off $11 full time associate, $16 manager<<low pay, the store is dark, always sprays that horrible cologne, makes you walk in flip flops, excessive demands from management

Treat your employees better,fire Mike, change the store, lower your prices

Miserable

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work With Great people, the clothes are nice

Cons

Horrible pay, unrealistic standards, over worked, no room for growth, have to turn down "unattractive" potential great employees, must work with complete idiots because they "look" the part,

Pay employees more, banish look policy, make realistic goals, less care about sales floor more customer care

If they could pay a penny an hour they would

Former Employee - "Model"
    Former Employee - "Model"

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Nothing positive that I can get from this experience other than you learn from your mistakes

Cons

They paid minimum wage and when I asked my manager how they did raises and promotions she laughed. She told me that if I'm not here for the discount there is no reason to work here and then told me about how much she hated the company.

Treat your employees like humans

Not Worth

Former Employee - Cashier/Model in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Model in Houston, TX

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get money, and if you're looking forward to folding clothes all day in a dark store, loud music, and stenching cologne as air freshener.

Cons

Their management is horrible and they're not flexible to YOUR schedule. It really bugs me.

Get Better cause you're not :)

Overworked and Underpayed Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can move up quickly if you have the right "look". You choose who you hire and retain, so all the part-timers were always really friendly and fun to get to know. My store was like a family to me.

Cons

Expected to work crazy hours to fix minuscule details. You are a one woman/man show. You're the supervisor, the babysitter, the maid, the technician, and the handy-man. When something goes wrong, it all falls on you. They don't reward progress or success but only point out flaws and areas for improvement. District Managers and higher ups are out of touch with reality and have extremely high expectations that, when not met, can keep you in your current position for a long time. The hours are ridiculous and schedules are not flexible for upper management. This means, you will be working weekends for 5+ years in order to become a District Manager, many times much longer.

Have a WE mindset. Stop being bosses and start being leaders.

Disappointing and Awful

Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, some people working are very nice

Cons

managers are awful, everyone talks about you behind your back, you get absolutely zero hours

I have had a terrible experience working for Abercrombie and Fitch. I am a student at the University of Guelph and when looking for a summer job I decided to check out Abercrombie Kids at Sherway Gardens since it’s close to where I live and I wear their clothing. I filled out an online application and I was officially employed there on April 23rd. Unfortunately, I have been extremely mistreated by the managers at that location as well as some of the other employees. I feel it is an important issue not only for my own justification, but also for the management team to realize they have wronged and need to learn how to rightfully treat their employees.

Abercrombie and Fitch has two positions one can apply for, model or impact. I interviewed for the position of impact and according to their website impacts “maintain merchandise flow, filling, and presentation standards throughout the store and the stockroom”. In the interview I was told that I would be getting at least 2 full shifts a week. I have been employed there for over 2 months and I have only worked for 3 shifts, which totaled up to be 9 hours. I would also like to point out that they weren’t even “real” shifts because they were training. This is all because beginner impacts only receive “call-in” shifts, which I was not told in the interview. In the last two months every time I have a call-in shift the managers tell me not to come in so I have not received any hours from actual shifts. I have addressed to the managers that I would like to work and want more shifts but they always give me the same response that they have hired too many people so no one is getting many shifts.

My first training shift was absolutely horrible. Firstly, at the beginning of my shift I was told to sign in and out of the employee system to practice signing in and out, however, since I was told to sign out right away there would be no record of me working. I brought this up to the manager and she snidely said back, “didn’t you listen to me? I already told you that you’d get paid for these hours”. That was May 4th and I still have not gotten paid for those hours, this issue I’ll expand on later on. Impacts have to use these handheld machines that scan the merchandise, there are many different buttons and selection choices on the screen and I had never used one before. Whenever I would ask a question about it I would get an “ugh” noise from the other employees like I was really bothering them. The manager was particularly mean to me and whenever I asked her a question about the merchandize she would give me this rude look and respond in an annoyed tone. It was my first day I don’t know how they didn’t expect me to ask questions, it is better to ask and do it right than to do something wrong. There was one employee in particular who was very rude to me and the managers are accepting to her behavior. There was a jacket that had been returned and when I scanned the item with the handheld machine it turned blank, I asked her why and she said our store no longer carried that item. I asked her what I should do with items our store no longer sells and she responded with, “just put it in the back”. The back of the store is huge and there are many different compartments so I asked her to be more specific and she walked away. Later on in the day I was working in the back scanning merchandise and then placing it out on display in the store, while I was out on the sales floor a customer asked me to get them a larger size from the back. I had not learned how to get merchandize from the back so I asked the same employee I just previously mentioned who was sitting down eating from a bag of chips and I asked her to help and she responded with “I’m not working right now don’t ask me questions”. The manager witnessed this and tolerated her behavior. I asked the manager if she could help me find the item and she told the employee sitting down to help me. When she found the item for me she just whipped at me and when I said thank you she responded with “whatever”. That entire shift no one talked to me and I tried to talk to people but they would stand in a circle gossiping and completely leave me out. At the point I decided I shouldn’t just quit because of one bad shift and that it was my first day and it should get better.

A month goes by and I do not get a single shift. Every call-in that I get they tell me not to come in. On June 4th I try to sign into the employee website where employees can see their schedules. I tried logging in for 2 days but it wasn’t working. I call the store and the manager I’m speaking to is really confused because she can’t find me in their system, she tells me to come in on Monday and speak to the manager that deals with the schedules. Five minutes later the manager calls me back saying that someone told her I quit. I become very confused and tell her that I never quit and then she says that the previous week I called saying I quit. This manager tells me to come to the store on Monday to discuss the issue with the manager that organizes the schedule. As I said before there are two positions, impact and model. There is a Facebook group for the employees that allow them to give away their shifts. I noticed for the entire month that I was not getting shifts people were posting in the group asking for someone to take their shifts, but the problem is that they are all model shifts. So I go in on Monday to speak with the manager and she tells me that someone working at the store told her that I called saying a quit so they took me out of the system. Just like that. The managers never contacted me personally they just completely took this employee’s word, and this employee is still working there too. . Since the manager would have to put me back in the system I ask if I could be switched over to model, which would be better suited for me since they work more on the sales floor interacting with people. She told me I could be switched over and to come in that Sunday for training.

That Sunday which was June 15th I go in for training and I had a great experience. Everyone was really nice to me and I liked the chance to interact with customers. I was working with another manager I hadn’t spoken to yet and at the end of that training shift he said I could be switched over. I was still listed in the system as an impact and had an impact shift that Friday, he said it could be changed to a model shift and that I could train to be cashier. That Friday which was June 20th I go in and the manger who I had spoken to the previous week who put me back in the system was very confused to why I was there, she wasn’t told I had a training shift. This confusion brings me to my next point. The managers have terrible communication. Whenever I have gone in and told them something another manager has told me they look at me with so much puzzlement and tell me it’s the first time they are hearing of anything I have told them. For example in my interview I told the interviewer that I am a university student living in Guelph and that I could only work for the summer and holiday season. When I was speaking to the manager about how I never get any shifts she had no idea I was only working there seasonally. Furthermore, I do the cashier training shift and when my shift is finished I ask the manager if I will officially be switched to model since I’m still listed as an impact. She then tells me that I cannot be switched to model because impact and model have different qualifications and I fit the position of impact. This is completely contradictory to what she told me the previous week. Moreover, she tells me that the manager who worked with me on my first training shift as a model told her I was “too quiet” to be a model. I have never in my entire life been told that I’m too quiet. I am very out-going and ever since I was 12 years old I’ve been volunteering and I had 900 community hours when I graduated high school. Also, the manager placed me in the front of the store and he never supervised me once, I talked to every customer that walked in.

At this point I still have not been paid for any of the training shifts including the first one, which is over a month and a half ago at this point. I contacted three managers about it and still no paycheck. I went in to the store today July 2nd to speak to the manager again. She tells me that if I want to become a model I need to go through the entire interview process again to see if I really fit the model position. She again tells me that the other manager and the other models have told her that I am “too quiet” and that in order to be a model I need to be more obnoxious. I feel it is very unprofessional of the managers to evaluate my personality with the other models. I also brought up again that I still have not been paid. I resigned from my position as impact because it is terrible working for Abercrombie and Fitch if this is the way they treat their employees.

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos