Abercrombie & Fitch

2,419 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,333 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first management job

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Great first job in management realm -- at a young age individuals are able to learn about running a business in a structured environment.

Cons

Relocation is often nessesary to advance in management roles -- which is fun and exciting at a young age -- but can become tiring. Long hours, no holidays, typical retail schedule.

Great work environment, networking with district managers, great brand

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

wonderful coworkers
    great relationship with district manager

Cons

Schedule not very flexible

From fun to awful

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great social atmosphere. Really fun coworkers, managers -- keeps you going to work everyday.

Cons

Company is going downhill so no more resources. Managers have to act like part-timers. Upper management lacks communication and insight.

Talk to your fellow managers instead of being on a power trip. Humble yourself, it's retail.

fun

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holyoke, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holyoke, MA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

somewhat cliquey but a fun work environment. A lot of folding clothes but I really enjoyed the people. You get used to the smell and end up loving the volume of the music.

Cons

There aren't many cons to name. I think the money compensation is worth the job since its not a very challenging job to have.

quit playing favorites.

Great people, vibe and energy!

Former Employee - Model
    Former Employee - Model

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

I personally wear Abercrombie so the 30% off discount is great. Also its really chill, and everyone has similar personality. Recently they rolled out a A&F Associate perks program.

Cons

Some people can be rude but that comes with any job

Use hours better, could schedule more help to close,

This job is a joke

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you can sit on your phone through the entire shift, doesn't require any actual intelligence.

Cons

The management, the company values, the pay

Decent job. As fun as you can make it.

Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Littleton, CO

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked Impact for about 7 months and I enjoyed it. You work behind the scenes so there isn't a lot of talking to customers. You have a goal and you just do your work, it's a pretty independent position as far as the actual Work you do goes. But if you can have fun working with the other people in the stockroom, you should have a lot of enjoyable days.

Cons

It is a minimum wage job with less than adequate room for advancement or pay increase. Still an okay job, just know what to expect.

Managers come and go frequently and really liked all of them but one.

Great environment for the Models, Horrible shopping experience for the Customers

Current Employee - Model in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Model in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Laid back atmosphere
    -Surprisingly the other models aren't typically stuck up people, your conversations with them will be quite interesting
    -Discount is nice 30% however that is not tacked on to something that is already discounted more that 30% .. You just get whatever the better deal is.
    -You get to shop from the backstock as well as on the floor which is nice.. As some online items or New seasonal promo clothes are not yet on the floor
    -You don't get in trouble for being 10-20mins late on the occasional times it happens (I'm honestly not sure if that is a good thing though)
    -The cash registers are so easy to use, touch screen and prompts ready to use. Unfortunately for anything other than a basic sale you have to get a manager to come and swipe their card, even for returns and exchanges you may have to run all over the store till you find one but a managers card must be used
    -AnF corporate online perks website is quite nice for discounted items outside AnF

Cons

-Laid back atmosphere: when the store isn't busy you get told by the manager and other associates to just look like you are doing something; ex. refold the clothes that are already folded perfectly in the front rooms near the entrance and after that fold something else that is already folded perfectly. And don't forget to greet customers.. A simple "Hey how's it goin'" will do..
    -Talking and bonding with your Managers... Managers are honestly the worst part of the job.. They act like they hate their job and even tell other staff members that retail sucks, and they hate people. I don't know how the selection process works for store managers but it is not an effective process. I love talking to customers and am truly interested in what they have to say. Ask anyone else working there if they mean anything they say or would talk to you if they weren't being paid to do it.. Very shallow customer service skills. Very superficial.
    -Minimum wage with no room for improvement even if you've been with them for 3 years
    -No room for promotions unless you have a bachelors degree... Yep not even If you have similar experience or have been a manager before at another company.. Also they would much rather hire someone with a bachelors in music theory, photography, or dance than someone with actual managerial experience or likewise someone with an associates degree in a business or management field
    -No hours even if you have open availability and can be there at their soonest convenience but that is a corporate or upper management problem as for some reason they feel the need to keep recruiting people to work for them even though they have no hours left to give

Every one that has worked at A&F for more than 4months with me say that they hate customers and "having to" deal with people constantly asking things is the worst part of the job ...Working in retail is about sharing your knowledge and personal opinions of something with someone else. The customer should feel welcome and have a happy experience shopping with us from the initial greeting to the cashier and the goodbye out the door. We aren't sales associates we don't push people to buy things that they don't need and we don't lie to them when they show us a pair of jeans that don't flatter them. We are models (and this next statement applies to managers as well).. But at this rate we might as well just be called mannequins as we get you in the door by displaying our cool outfits with our A&F but just as quickly give you the cold shoulder.

The Store

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Friendly working environment, very helpful as well

Cons

Some co-workers may judge you or not like you

None needed as long as they stay the same

Excelent! Very fun, but strict environment. Never a dull place to go to work to. You will always find something new.

Former Employee - Impact Team Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Flexible work hours, engaging managers who are always there to help you with anything that you need, and the best part is that you will have the opportunity to grow within the company if you do a good job.

Cons

I don't have negative things to say about the company. I've worked at Abercrombie in two different occasions and loved it. I hope to be back soon!

My advice to some managers at the stores would be to get to know better the impacts and the models. Sometimes it is hard, because Abercrombie has lots of employees, but it's not impossible.

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos