Abercrombie & Fitch

2,134 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,186 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

gained a lot of experience, without the help of the company

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - District Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

i liked the people I worked with, my peers and the people that worked for me. I had autonomy, and was able to create my own work environment.

Cons

senior management is a joke, the company is no longer people focused. The job is challenging, with out any reward, and they don't pay well

Regional manager level needs to be re-evaluated, and District Managers need to be compensated and trusted. There is no longer any growth opportunity, so pay needs to reflect work requirements.

Learned a good bit but did not enjoy my time here overall.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work (most days), fun coworkers

Cons

Reliance on teenagers to show up and work, managers can be very immature emotionally, pay is below industry average, very little oversight so Store and District Managers can do whatever they please, which is most often to avoid actually working whenever possible so the responsibilities for which they are paid falls on others.

Reconnect with your people on the ground, stop leaving cologne/perfume out where it is so easily taken!

Good to work while your in college and need some cash for books

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

flexible scheduling, great for networking.

Cons

management, lack of communication, low pay

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great training with very little pay

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great MIT program. Many opportunities for relocation. Casual work environment with great fun people to work with. Training opportunities/workshops starting at the store manger level. Good health benefits.

Cons

Pay is terrible. No bonuses. No overtime pay. Overtime is actually half time for full time employees. Yes they cut you pay in half after 40 hours. Its less than minimum wage and you will work more than 40 hours. Salaried employees get no incentive either just a comp day every couple of months when there's a holiday. Unprofessional young employees that get paid minimum wage so no call no shows are always an issue. Forced to hire based on looks and looked down upon if you hire someone that doesn't fit the image.

Compensate competitively. You're competition will always steal your managers and great talent will be lost. Focus more on the bottom line which is running a business and not on whether we all look like models.

Horrible

Current Employee - Full-Time Stock
    Current Employee - Full-Time Stock

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some pros of working here is that the tasks are very simple. The part time associates are fun to work with. Hours aren't long at all. Good for college students.

Cons

The cons are that the higher up people like the district manager and regional manager are mean and have unrealistic expectations. In management, there are managers that get away with being mean and create their own rules because they don't like someone. Very stuck up people some managers are.

Compensation isn't good. Really no room for growth within the company at all. Management needs to be nicer and not lie to peoples faces. Just because you are management doesn't mean that you don't do anything wrong and the full time stock or part time associates have no say in anything. It is an awful place to work full time.

A&F experience

Current Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Pleasant Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Impact Team Member in Pleasant Hill, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

store atmosphere is good, work with good looking people mostly.

Cons

unstable schedules, low wage, they don't provide you their cloth but ask you to wear it to work.

Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part is the opportunities to move up quickly within the company.

Cons

As a person of management and authority, i am extremely overworked and underpaid. I spend my days sweating and stressing to meet the demands of the district manager, while basically babysitting college students (whom, by the way, are only 1-3 years younger than me), and also having to stress about monitoring the customers/potential shoplifters. I get hardly any credit for the hard work, and the pay is unsatisfying. To be blunt, as person with a 4-year college degree deserves better.

PAY THE EMPLOYEES WHO ACTUALLY RUN THE STORES (FULL & PART TIME) BETTER!!! no one needs thousands wasted on CEOs! the people who are actually doing the hard work deserve the money!

A&F VAM

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager  in  Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Langhorne, PA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed working with employees. Learned more about management of a retail store.

Cons

Promotions are not based on how much you are liked by your managers.

Challenging Workplace, not for the Meek

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

During my tenure, I was constantly challenged. I was given new opportunities, and was promoted regularly.
    - 40% Discount at A&F 30% Hollister
    - Great health care benefits
    - Beautiful campus
    - Wear A&F clothes (shorts, polos, flip flops) to work

Cons

Long term stress. It seems to never let up. WOrk life balance became difficult at times.

Consider long term plans for support when implementing new systems/software.

Fun people to work with, but very little professional growth

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

International opportunities, work with young fun people, strong emphasis on personal development, decent benefits, detailed communication from home office, all stores held to same standards

Cons

pay is awful, too much micro management, doesn't allow for much creativity, recruiting and interview process is mostly image based, store managers have little to no visibility to reporting (overall sales, UPT, AVT, profit/loss, sales margin, etc.)

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!