Abercrombie & Fitch

2,298 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,268 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The company has a fun work environment with young, energetic employees (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 245 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

not the best job, not the worst job

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are the reason I stuck around for more than a few months. I've met a few of my very good friends here. You learn a lot about yourself as far as how much you can handle when it comes to stressful, long days. If you can do this job you have set yourself up with a solid foundation for success in any other industry.

Cons

There is never a set schedule for managers, even though there is a mandatory management schedule it can change at any given time when people don't show up or something comes up. Its hard to plan your life outside of work because things always change in retail. Turnover kinda sucks sometimes, literally 3-4 managers will quit at once.

Giving managers some sort of incentive for working overtime would be nice.

It was an nice experience there

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Model in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Model in Livermore, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting & , greeting new people , looking at the new inventory

Cons

Just making sure the floor is clean & clear at all times

Just to give more hours & days to the employee

awkward but flexible hours

Former Employee - Model/Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Model/Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours if in good terms with store manager.

Cons

very little hours, all depends on how much the store manager like you.

Okay for a seasonal job

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The operations of the stores are well-structured and organized
    Asking for days off is easily as long as you can find someone to cover your shift.
    Requesting for days off is also an easy process.

Cons

Managers play favorites
    Not much team-building.
    Dress code is very strict.

Fun place to work, good for college-age people, good introduction to retail, but pay is low and hard to get hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Concord, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Social environment, nice clothes at good discount

Cons

Low pay and hard to get hours

overnight associate

Former Employee - Overnight Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Overnight Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overnight pay is pretty decent for a teenager. This is a good summer job for someone who is taking a few college courses in the afternoon.

Cons

Most of the workers at my store were middle aged Asians that could pass for my parents. For the amount of work they do, I think they deserve to get paid more and treated better. Hours are also insane during floor sets. I worked from 9:30PM-8AM once

Pay overnight workers more money. Stop hiring so many people if you already have a set of workers relying on this job to put food on the dinner table!

A&F experience

Current Employee - Impact Team Member in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Impact Team Member in Pleasant Hill, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

store atmosphere is good, work with good looking people mostly.

Cons

unstable schedules, low wage, they don't provide you their cloth but ask you to wear it to work.

Store Manager: A decent job to fall back on out of college if you had no other options

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great (retail) management training program:
    -hones communication, critical thinking, process analysis, and behavior management skills
    -develops accountability and leadership
    Good health benefits relative to premium.
    Relaxed and casual work environment
    Opportunity to travel abroad if you differentiate yourself as a Store Manager

Cons

Ridiculously low pay for a job requiring a bachelors degree. Raises are minimal until you are promoted to Store Manager; even then it's pretty terrible since you're salaried and will probably be working 50-60 hours a week (as a non-exempt assistant manager, I made nearly the same as my SM salary)
    District Managers cannot keep management teams fully staffed, so new management trainees often have to skip their training program and struggle to advance in their careers. This puts a lot of pressure on store management. Promotions are based on how good attractive the associates you've recruited are, how many good looking people you can trick into accepting a management position, and how friendly you are with your district manager.
    Sales metrics are not a focus, instead we were assessed on how well our staff was groomed and how neatly the clothing is folded. Bizarre.
    There's basically one career path to follow unless you're willing to relocate to Ohio (after proving yourself as a Store Manager)

Place more emphasis on sales metrics. Give store management more autonomy OR lower your hiring standards. The managers with the best potential leave because the challenges are petty and not intellectual.

Decent, not that many shifts

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Abercrombie hires a lot of people; interview process is standardized so you can google the exact questions and practice

Cons

My manager did not like me even though I was friendly towards her, the atmosphere is degrading in that the "models" work the storefront while the impact members (not so pretty people) work in the back, people I worked with were in cliques and did not appear very friendly

be more friendly to your workers -- your workers are in the same position as you, trying to get by the day, so not approaching each worker with amiable means will not make their work days any smoother

Great first job for high school students.

Current Employee - Model in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Model in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed and friendly. Everyone is pretty young and managers tend to be fresh-out-of-college. You can change your availability often and to work around your schedule. Getting 50% off 10 items is a huge plus. Even though I don't recommend spending your minimum wage salary on the company you work for, it's nice for gifts during the holidays.

Cons

Because your managers are young, they can be irresponsible. At my location, being friends with the managers is pretty important and employees would shirk responsibilities to talk to the managers. If they don't like someone, they'll basically stop giving hours. If this happens to you, don't stop checking your online schedule! Managers are able to check how often you view your schedule and will fire you for "neglect". Ask your managers why you aren't getting any hours and try to look for other jobs. Keep the discount since we get 50% off 10 items now.

Separate yourselves from your employees. Too often decisions are made based on personal bias rather than what's best for the company. Be up front if an employee is not performing well and help them improve. Grow up.

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos