Abilene Christian University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Philip (Phil) Schubert

A special place to work

I have been working at Abilene Christian University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe ability to be in a christian environment & part of a mission that I believe in is a blessing. Overall employees, culture, mission, salary & benefits are above average.

ConsHigher ed is in a transition and that is felt here as well. Faculty sometimes can have more of a negative & cynical view and that can be tiresome.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have been in a season of change since Phil became President but I think the majority of us believe in the team he has established. We are here because we believe in ACU. Remind us we are on the same team & working for the same mission. Be bold. Lead us.

I thank my university is great

Student Worker (Current Employee)
Abilene, TX

I have been working at Abilene Christian University full-time for less than a year

ProsThey help you adjust to college life

ConsThe school is far from home

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more a schlorship program

Great place!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Abilene Christian University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful place to work! Very collaborative work environment. Leadership is always mindful that our work is about impacting and developing the lives of young adults.

ConsWork-life balance was not always the best. However, because everyone is so excited about the mission it was never really an issue.

If unstable is what you want...you will be guaranteed to get it here...

Employee (Current Employee)
Abilene, TX

I have been working at Abilene Christian University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are very friendly and want to to the right thing in the long run. The weather is great. This was a great place to work when it was doing the mobile learning initiative under the previous president. Growth happened and the campus environment was encouraging.

ConsA previous commenter got it right: ACU is very inbred especially in the faculty and administration. If you don't go to the right church your voice won't be heard. Appears to not be friendly toward any type of minority group in staffing across campus regardless if faculty, staff, or administration. Concerned that ACU can't find diverse or attract people to come to West Texas. Those invited to campus for key positions tend to withdraw their application once invited to campus and are able to take a closer look. More concerned about Division 1 than about the mission of the university. Absolute burnout will happen here cause you will be worked to the bone. Budget cuts and more budget cuts. The campus environment is one of fear. Really poor communication by upper administration. Limited opportunities for any type of career advancement. Pay is low. Certain departments are very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your faculty and staff. Trust the people that you hire to do their job. Appreciation goes a long way. Tell the truth.

Great Place to Work With Great People

Student Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at Abilene Christian University as an intern for more than 5 years

ProsRarely do you work weekends
Great people to work with

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the workers know how much they are needed and appreciated

Love the people, but atmosphere is unstable right now.

Abilene, TX

I have been working at Abilene Christian University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsClose group of co-workers that value family. Education discount is very appealing as well as the quality of the university.

ConsDue to a lot of changes and consolidating going on right now, the environment at ACU is unstable. In the long run, these changes will help the university, but as it stands right now, job security is shaky. No raises even with increases in workloads due to layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciation of work goes a long way. A LONG way. Show that your employees are valued by encouraging them regularly. The university is going through a transition, so encouraging words to reassure people is a good thing. Especially if money is tight and you can't reward for good work with a raise.

However, base salary is becoming more and more of a strain. Also, pay attention when an entire department loses almost all of it's very talented employees. If salaries don't increase in staff and you lose employees that have excellent experience, you will be stuck with a lot of green workers and will take years to get back to the level of production you were at.

Information Desk

Student Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abilene Christian University

ProsThis job is fantastic! My boss is great and the work is very reasonable for a student worker position. The pay is phenomenal.

ConsSometimes the callers are ridiculous. You will get complaints that are not really your department. People will also distract you by coming by to chat.

If you go to the right church and like West Texas, you might be okay.

Faculty (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abilene Christian University

ProsACU was innovative for about 4 years beginning in 2007 when it jumped into using mobile/tablets for learning and worked at being leaders in the field of higher education.
People are friendly and helpful on campus.
Complete change over of upper administration in the last few years (Provost position has changed twice). Waiting to see if it will be good or bad.

ConsPay is about 20% below other universities for similar positions (cost of living in Abilene isn't 20% cheaper).
In three of the last five years junior faculty and staff have been not renewed due to financial problems.
If you're not part of the in-crowd or go to the right church, your voice will not be heard.
Abilene is 2 1/2 hours from any other major city. Very isolated in culture and activities.
Plan to give a yearly summary of your church activities (yes, they want to know what your doing at church. It is part of T&P requirements).
Brain drain continues (as noted by an earlier post).
English faculty have an unusual amount of say in campus direction and activities.
Very inbred faculty. Majority of faculty and administration graduated from ACU.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe burden of years of poor financial planning is being laid on junior faculty and staff; those who can least afford it and are the most vulnerable.
Stop the inbreeding! Hire more faculty and administrators who never attended ACU.

A very positive place to work.

I have been working at Abilene Christian University

ProsThe mission and institutional culture are very good. It's an entrepreneurial environment.

ConsIt's in Abilene, great if you like West Texas.

My experience to date has been more than anticipate with a high degree of challenge going forward in the work we do.

Associate Director for Career Center (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abilene Christian University

ProsGreat students, staff/faculty, alumni; superb flexibility, support, Good parking, weather, minimal traffic, very good/inexpensive local and campus activities;

Consalways windy; speed bumps are more like berms; far from larger metroplex areas;

Worked for Abilene Christian University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abilene Christian University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abilene Christian University CEO Philip (Phil) Schubert. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Abilene Christian University employees.