Abilities United
www.abilitiesunited.org Palo Alto, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Abilities United Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good experience and great work environment

Fund Raising (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsHelpful co-workers, reasonable working hours

ConsMore growth opportunities should be provided

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Possibly the best Social Services non-profit there is.

Adult Services Specialist (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsFirst, I'm not a manager. I've been at the company for over three years, and started when they were still known as "CAR" or Community Association for Rehabilitation.
    Pros:
    *Decades of experience (started in the 1960's as the result of parents and professionals who wanted to assist the developmentally disabled.
    *Fantastic personal growth opportnities
    *Wonderful communication between colleagues and management
    *Awesome staff support from management
    *Great chances to utilize personal creativity and problem-solving
    *Make your own schedule with your caseload of people
    *Person-centered approach- very family-oriented
    *Flexible for time off
    *Occasional bonuses
    *Refreshingly free of office politics

Also, the benefits package is okay- not stallar, but they do the most that they can.

ConsThe biggest downside would be the payscale. I do think that they are definitely competitive within the range of pay with comparable agencies, but if you have a degree in Social Services, you'll likely work here more because you love it than for the pay.

Occasionally, caseloads can be challenging when the people we serve go through personal chaos, but management does everything they can to match people with clients based on personalities, interests, and abilities.

Finally, the constant uncertainty about California's state budget mean that pay raises are few and far between, and that sometimes things get scaled back, but you can be certain that the people running the agency do everything they possibly can to keep everything afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are shinging examples of what this field of work needs to be exceptional. Oh, and take vacations for yourselves! :)

Worked for Abilities United? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abilities United reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Abilities United employees.