Ability Beyond Disability

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas H. Fanning

Wonderful community, excellent opportunities, great work environment overall.

Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ability Beyond Disability full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will meet a wide variety of people that are very hard working and love what they do. The demographics you will be working with will depend on which house you get assigned to. Some managers are tough, others are just the right mix of friend, fun, and manager. Remember who you are there for, the consumers.

ConsLots of paperwork, sometimes a little TOO much. You have to work the system in order to move up in management and prove you are caring and willing to work hard. Sometimes managers can get uptight because there is a lot of pressure on them from the higher-ups. The RMs and RAs are great people to work with as long as you get to know them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to relax. Paperwork is hard on everyone. The job itself can be done by anyone with a caring heart. Remember why you chose to work there in the first place. Never forget that you are there to help those who can't help themselves.

I've worked there ten plus years.

I have been working at Ability Beyond Disability for more than 10 years

ProsFor the most part many caring and genuously nice people to work with.

ConsIt's all about numbers and dollars now. Not like years ago when it was all about helping clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a ton of $ wasted because no one is paying attention or knows how to control costs and expenses.

Overall good learning experience, you have to be really passionate about the field to put the time in for advancement.

Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee)
Mount Kisco, NY

I worked at Ability Beyond Disability

ProsThe consumers, or clients are the best.

ConsThe staff has their attitudes and interferes with you doing your job pleasantly. Too much gossip and drama within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees more, it is not an easy job. A little more recognition and incentive would go a long way if people got off their high horse. Remember at one point you were new too.

I was appalled by how little the people who work directly with clients are paid.

Direct Care Staff/Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee)
Bethel, CT

I worked at Ability Beyond Disability

ProsIt provides high quality service to clients.

ConsThe average salary at Ability Beyond Disability is 49,000 a year. It's direct care staff and life skills instructors, the underbelly of this company and the ones who work one on one with the clients teaching them life skills, toileting and showering them, dealing with sometimes violent and inappropriate behaviors, driving them around, and staying up for all night shifts with no sleep, are offered a whopping 10- 12 dollars an hour. This company makes me sick. While the administrators make ample salaries while they sit at their desks preaching about the high quality of care (there does seems to be a high quality of care for clients, I will say that), the people doing the real work are staying up all night, bathing and toileting people for an outrageously low sum. And they recruit aggressively for these jobs, but never mention the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your essentially staff a respectable sum.

Its an okay organization but...

I have been working at Ability Beyond Disability

ProsThere is room to grow but its not worth it

Conseverything there is no corporate organization in this place

Worked for Ability Beyond Disability? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ability Beyond Disability reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ability Beyond Disability CEO Thomas H. Fanning. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Ability Beyond Disability employees.